• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

keeping track of characters in books

kuroc

From now on I'm going to use excel to make a speadsheet of characters that are in books that are in series.

The reason I'm doing this is because when I read a book in a series most of the time I don't read the next in the series right away I go to another book that is a stand alone or in a series.

I remember what happens in the book but sometimes I forget some characters names.

Does forgetting the name of characters in books happen to any of you?

Heres how I have it set up. Each file is a series and each worksheet is a book in the series.

Heres how I have the worksheets setup so far:

characters Sex changed into(for council wars) job Relation description

So what do you guys think?

Sounds interesting, kuroc. I am doing something very similar with the online fiction database I'm building. All I have to say though is, if you constantly have to stop reading and record facts or descriptions, it takes some of the pleasure out of the experience.

kuroc said:
Heres how I have the worksheets setup so far:

characters Sex changed into(for council wars) job Relation description

So what do you guys think?
I think some commas might give me a clue what you're trying to record. Characters Sex or Sex changed into?

Anyway, I think you're keeping track of characters in a sci-fi or fantasy series, is that right? I sometimes have problems with large Russian novels, something like Life and Fate for example has 160+ characters all with unfamiliar Russian names and many of the main ones also having patronymics. I ended up drawing a family tree diagram to get my head round the main protagonists of that book.

Regards,

K-S

KristoCat said:
All I have to say though is, if you constantly have to stop reading and record facts or descriptions, it takes some of the pleasure out of the experience.

I don't do it until I finish reading the book.

Kenny Shovel said:
I think some commas might give me a clue what you're trying to record. Characters Sex or Sex changed into?

Ok here it is with some commas:
characters, Sex, changed into(for council wars),job,Relation,description

Stewart said:
Tell us more...
Well, it's coming along pretty slowly, because a lot of it is just data entry. What I'd like to eventually accomplish is a website where you can search for books you know (as in, something you've read and liked) and then get a list of read-alikes for that book. I will also have a list of most characters (everyone with lines is my goal) in each book, as well as series information, genre and subgenre categories, and a plot summary.

kuroc said:
From now on I'm going to use excel to make a speadsheet of characters that are in books that are in series.

The reason I'm doing this is because when I read a book in a series most of the time I don't read the next in the series right away I go to another book that is a stand alone or in a series.

I remember what happens in the book but sometimes I forget some characters names.

Does forgetting the name of characters in books happen to any of you?
I really like the idea of yours, and I think I'm going to do the same for some of the long novels I'm reading.
My problem is I forget the character roles! So, don't worry you're not alone. ;)

KristoCat said:
All I have to say though is, if you constantly have to stop reading and record facts or descriptions, it takes some of the pleasure out of the experience.

I would say it slows it down. My personal preference is to read a chapter or two and then jot down everything I remember. This is incredibly useful if the work is very complex and has a lot of characters.

Back