• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ken Follett: The Pillars Of The Earth

Aliena knocked down a dishonest priest?

Hopefully one of you remembers...
On page 622 of the paperback, towards the bottom of the page a paragraph begins "And knife an outlaw, she thought; and throw a dishonest priest to the floor, ..."
I don't remember the priest bit at all. Does anyone know what this was referring to?

Yup:D When Aliena and her brother went and visited their father in jail, he told them that he had given "Father Ralph" 50 Denatzs for them. When they left the jail, they went to find the Father and here is what happens : p383 and the story starts with the paragraph, "Richard led the way....:)

POTE was the first book I'd read by Ken Follett and I really enjoyed it. It's a first for me to read historical fiction and I was surprised at how into the book I got.
I've now purchased World Without End and hope I'll like it as I see from the views here that the people who have read it weren't too impressed by it at all, but we shall see :blink:

I personally enjoyed Pillars. If there were any historical inaccuracies, I certainly missed them. I'm not too sharp with my medieval history, so it doesn't bother me one bit. I wasn't looking to analyze it, I was just looking for an entertaining story, and I got one. :)

An adaptation of this is currently being shown on the BBC, and I was going to ask what people thought of the book to see if it was worth reading it. I see opinions are varied!

The adaptation is very good, with possibly the rape scenes played down somewhat - I haven't seen anything I consider particularly gratuitous.

What are people's thoughts on Ken Follett's work in general? Worth reading?

Maybe I'm biased because I like books about Medieval times ,but I think this is a great book. I'm only 400 pages into it and can't wait to get back to it as soon as the Giants - Eagles
game is over. I had to buy the Oprah edition because I couldn't read the small print in the
regular paperback.

I'm just getting ready to start. I have my book light all ready with new batteries for bedtime reading.

It's kind of a daunting size but since this is a short week, work wise, I should be able to put a dent in it.

I just finished the pillars of the earth, one of the best books i've read.
It's like the movie : The Good ( Prior Phillip ), The Bad ( Bishop Waleran Bigod )
and The Ugly ( William Hamleigh ).
ricko

Wow. It took me a month and a half of bedtime reading to get through Pillars of the Earth. I enjoyed the book but I have to admit I started skimming in the last bit of the book. I have to wonder, did it need to be that long?

I honestly cant believe that this book is getting slated. I thought and still think it was one of the best books ive ever read. It takes all sorts to make a world i guess.

An adaptation of this is currently being shown on the BBC, and I was going to ask what people thought of the book to see if it was worth reading it. I see opinions are varied!

The adaptation is very good, with possibly the rape scenes played down somewhat - I haven't seen anything I consider particularly gratuitous.

What are people's thoughts on Ken Follett's work in general? Worth reading?

Would that be on Netflix by any chance, I know Netflix has BBC series on there which I enjoy very much. I ask cause I have POTE, on my book shelf, I've had it for about 2 years and have not cracked it open..:(

Im not sure if its on netflix or not jennybug. Ive seen the series and, as we have previously discussed, its not as good as the book, though the series is still enjoyable.
As for having it on your bookshelf and not reading it, hang your head in shame!! :D I would be interested in your thoughts, so please read it, i thought it was brilliant but seem to be in a minority on here :(

Haha I will trappa, for some reason I thought it may be religious. (Some one told me the title sounded religious, because it had the word pillars) horrible I know,I shouldn't listen to non-readers. But from how the conversation is proceeding here, it sounds really good.

Back