• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kindle, iPad, iPod Touch, or another?

TheScribe

Hello, I've been using my ipod touch to read ebooks - epub, kindle and sometimes pdf (apps are great). I've been thinking about getting something with a larger screen but am worried it won't be the same as the ipod, which is brilliant and never gives me eye strain.

So...I would like your opinions on the Kindle and iPad, and any of the other brands out these days. My concern would be clarity of the letters, battery life, whether the ereader is dedicated to one type of ebook and availability.

The criteria you set forth is exactly what the Kindle does best. If possible, borrow one for a week from a mate and give it a test drive.

The biggest negatives about the Kindle are that it is a dedicated device, it has no ability to display colour and you must have adequate ambient light in order to use it. The positives far outweigh those in my never to be humble opinion and as of a couple days ago they are dirt cheap to boot.

But, if you like Apple products, want versatility and don't mind spending the cash iPads are great tools to own. You already know how to use it since it is essentially a grown up Touch.

You can use the kindle cloud on an iPad to read your amazon stuff. Just something to consider.

Thanks for the replies. The difference in price is huge! My main concern about the Kindle is that it is a dedicated device. However, the iPad is so expensive!

A friend had another brand of ereader (can't remember the actual brand) but I didn't like the clarity of the words, they seemed slightly blurred and that put me off buying anything online ... and I'd be lucky to find anything in the area I live.

Well you are in luck since Amazon just launched the Kindle Fire tablet. Doesn't have all the features of an Ipad but still does a hell of a lot and is way cheaper at $200. I'll be sticking with my regular Kindle since all I want to do is read books on it and e-ink is still the best for that. At $200 it is cheap enough though that I am tempted to get one just to play with it.

I've had a Kindle for almost a year. I love it! The words are clear, but if you have any trouble you can adjust the font.

I personally chose the kindle because of amazons selection. My mother-in-law got a nook and doesn't like it as much because the selection is just not there. I could be wrong but I think its hooked up to b&n.
Hope this helps!

Kindle Fire

The new Kindle Fire looks good, closing in on iPad excellence. However, there is much talk that Apple will come out soon with 7 inch iPad to compete with the Fire directly.

If you simply want to read and read, get Kindle Apps for your computers, or mobile devices.

I read a lot on my MacBook and iPad with Kindle app. My books follow me across the devices.

The iPad is excellent for reading. Of course, it costs, but I'm in the Mac world and it really excels.

For me, nothing beats having an iPad and an iPhone. My Kindle Books, Nook Books and iBook books all are available and properly bookmarked no matter which device I use to open them and read at any given time. I can sit back on the couch and read on my iPad (Kindle/Nook/iBook - doesn't matter which) and then when I am out of the house, all my books are right there in my pocket on my iPhone (iPod touch would work just as well) and my bookmarks are up to date. You really can't beat it.

I think I agree with Quorlan. Why constrict myself to one 'library' (ie Kindle, Nook, etc) when I can have them all. My iPod Touch does me fine. A larger screen would be nice, so maybe I'll get an iPad one day, but for now I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone.

Kindle

I've had a Kindle for about a year and I absolutely love it! I actually like that it's a dedicated device for reading - keeps my reading seperate from all the other stuff. I have a 3G Kindle which means that it has free internet access pretty much anywhere in the world to the amazon site to buy books which I have found fantastic when I'm travelling. The other great thing is the ability to read outside in bright light without glare.

I think I agree with Quorlan. Why constrict myself to one 'library' (ie Kindle, Nook, etc) when I can have them all. My iPod Touch does me fine. A larger screen would be nice, so maybe I'll get an iPad one day, but for now I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, everyone.

If you have Calibre then format won't matter.

Hello, I've been using my ipod touch to read ebooks - epub, kindle and sometimes pdf (apps are great). I've been thinking about getting something with a larger screen but am worried it won't be the same as the ipod, which is brilliant and never gives me eye strain.

So...I would like your opinions on the Kindle and iPad, and any of the other brands out these days. My concern would be clarity of the letters, battery life, whether the ereader is dedicated to one type of ebook and availability.

I have a nook. It's almost as if I'm reading books on real paper. Works great outdoors on a sunny or cloudy day, or in a lighted room. I also have a book light at night and cause it's that weird fancy screen there is little to no glare.
Nooks are cheap(ish) and work great.

I also use Calibre. It hooks up to all of my devices: iPhone, iPad, Nook, etc. And it's free. It's only draw back is that it updates constantly! (which might be a good thing, at least they try to advance it) and it's free!

I recently got an iPad and couldn't be happier with it! I'd imagined it would be difficult to read on the screen for long periods but, as you know from using your iPod, this isn't really an issue. If all you want to do is read books I'd go for a Kindle; it's light, no glare, and has a great battery life. But, if you want to do more with your e-reader then an iPad blows the field away. I use it for so much it's scary.

As one of the previous commenters has mentioned - the best thing to do is sneak a go on friend's devices and have a play around.

Oh, and one other thing. The note-taking facilities on the iPad are brilliant! I read quite a bit of non-fiction, and review fiction, so do like to make notes while reading. I've not tried this on a kindle, but a friend who's used both assure me the iPad is far better for this.

Matthew - Bibliofreak.net - A Book Review Blog

I loved my Kindle 1. My wife got it for me for Xmas 2008. At first I was rather put off by it but it very quickly grew on me and soon I was taking it everywhere. In 2011 I got an iPad 2. I LOVE IT! I use both the Kindle app and the iBook app. My poor Kindle 1 has become very lonely on the shelf. I have gifted it to my son in law since he couldn't afford a new Kindle and I am happy it has another book loving home to bask in.

Cheers, Dan

I have a kindle fire and absolutely LOVE it. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever and I still can't get over how easy it is to just have in your bag. I feel like I'm carrying my library with me in the smallest of devices and it doesn't even hurt my eyes reading from there :)

Back