• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kindle

RainbowGurl

Does anyone have them? Anyone not have them? Are they any good? Are they worth it? Whats your opinion? Likes? dislikes? I was thinking about getting one but I am not sure...

Mine is the keyboard kind without the 3G. I love it and have one on my Christmas list to replace it because its been acting a bit hinky lately.

I have a Kindle Touch, and have enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately, my Kindle has been AWOL for more than a week, and I worry that it got knocked into a trash bin accidentally. Too bad there's not a key fob gizmo with a button I could push to get my Kindle to make a noise til I could find it...

Does anyone have them? Anyone not have them? Are they any good? Are they worth it? Whats your opinion? Likes? dislikes? I was thinking about getting one but I am not sure...

RG, we both have kindles, and use them sporadically. I'd say they are definitely worth the cost though. I'll try things on the kindle that I might not have in paper, new or used. It is the great experimenter IMO. The convenience is fantastic. It also comes in handy for those extremely heavy tomes, for example Cryptonomicon (Stephenson) or Harlot (by Norman Mailer) that weigh a ton...I've got both of those in hardback and kindle edition. It's been a def help.
I can recommend the cheapest one with the adverts. They are not intrusive, in the least.

Hope this helps. :)

I have a Kindle touch and while I thought I would hate an e-reader, I LOVE it. You know...'cause I can have ALL of the books in my Pocket!

The touch has an amazing battery life and is extremely durable (I got it when it came out, I read in the tub, still works brilliantly even with humidity.) It has glitched out a few times if it has gone too long with out wi-fi connection, but the reset does it's job.

So my vote is that e-readers are great, and I am totally satisfied with my Kindle touch.

Eureka! Son Ethan went looking in big sister's dresser for hidden movies and found my Kindle under a movie. I suppose I should yell at him for snooping in sister's stuff, but....:whistling:

My Christmas present to you is me not commenting on that. :whistling: :innocent: :flowers:

I thought I would not like an ereader and would always prefer paper. I had an ipad and couldn't get on with the ibooks reader on there. I rarely used the applications on it, or itunes so I only had it for the reader.

But I was diagnosed with Dyslexia early last year and I saw the kindle with the paper texture which I could read but I had the option to change the text size the font and the spacing between the lines.

I have now found that I love it as I can now read up to a normal speed without coloured over lays. I rarely have to re read anything to understand it and I don't have so much trouble with following the lines or the words coming out of the page.

I bought the bog standard kindle with no backlight (i have a light I can fix on the top) and I use it more than I ever did the ipad (which I sold). I wish the kobo reader had the same texture screen on it as they can be used to support independant bookshops but there is no point having a reader you can't read so reluctantly I ended up with a kindle.

It is worth going somewhere where you can try a few demo models out of the different ones so you can get an idea of how the buttons and the reader feels and whether or not you would get on with the screen.

Julie

I recently read a book that helped me a lot with my depression. I think the main point of it was really helpful. That the sufferer should first and foremost seek help and then take an active approach to make sure that they are healing along with finding a partner to help them on their journey. Also, it kind of opened my eyes to the different foods that can really worsen people's depression because of the different chemicals in the foods and how they can affect you. I know it doesn't seem like it but what I've discovered is that the little things all add up and can have a big impact on the way you feel. The name of the book was 'you can cure your depression' by the way.

You are the author of this book, per your post on another forum. Perhaps reforming your ethics would assist in curing your depression.

I have a model T kindle and just love it. Actually, I think I read more now with it than I did before. Be careful of hooking up to wireless as well as you will find it super easy to buy books left and right with a few button presses while you are ensconced on your couch with a cup of coffee. :D

I'm not depressed, but I am curmudgeonly. I don't want no #$%@# cure for it either.

I have a model T kindle and just love it. Actually, I think I read more now with it than I did before. Be careful of hooking up to wireless as well as you will find it super easy to buy books left and right with a few button presses while you are ensconced on your couch with a cup of coffee. :D

I'm not depressed, but I am curmudgeonly. I don't want no #$%@# cure for it either.

Curmudgeonly is a good thing.....shows depth of character.

re ease of purchase on wireless....yeah, tell me about it. Instant gratification. :cool:

I have a Kindle keyboard. I've had it for two years and I guess about half of the books that I read are now read on the Kindle. It has been dropped down the stairs more times than I like to admit and has survived without a scratch (apart from the back cover being popped off). The battery doesn't last as long as it did when new but it still doesn't need charging that often.

I have it on my ipad. Helps to read a lot of books now. As a regular traveler it is a major blessing because I don't have to carry a lot of books with me anymore.

I have the kindle paperwhite and its fantastic. You can buy and download books to it in a few seconds. Its also lightweight which is great for travelling or if you just want to read on the train.

I think the same that chrisv24. Other good thing about Kindle is the autonomy of the battery. I charge my kindle for 2 weeks normally.

Oh yes, very useful. One for the keys and another for the phone and for all the other devices that seem to go for long walks on there own. :D

Back