• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Labyrinth

RainbowGurl

I really like this 1986 movie. Anyone else like it? :)

Summary:
Grown angry about the fact, that she must watch over her little brother Toby, Sarah (Jennifer Connely) wishes the child to the goblins. They translate this careless statement into action: The Goblin-King Jareth (David Bowie) announces, that soon Toby will mutate into a goblin. There is only one hope: Sarah has to find the way to Jareth´s castle - through a dangerous labyrinth, where she will find strange creatures.

Summary 2:
Young Sarah (Jennifer Connelly) is left home alone by her parents and she has to babysit her little brother Toby. But the baby keeps crying and Sarah, while telling him a story to make him sleep, inadvertently conjures from a fantasy world the Goblin King (David Bowie) who steals the child and brings him to his castle in the middle of a labyrinth. Sarah has to rescue him before midnight, or the baby will became a goblin...

I loved Labyrinth! A great script with many Python-esque moments and great acting from Connelly. I remember that I went down to my local cinema and begged the glossy black and white publicity photos that they had in the foyer, as I was a David Bowie fan - must still have them somewhere.

RainbowGurl said:
I was born 1 year after it came out :eek:
Aren't you an '87?

I love this movie too! Bowie terrified me as a kid, but now I appreciate his musical talents. I know it was made in the '80s, but a grown man should NEVER wear spandex!

dele said:
Aren't you an '87?

I love this movie too! Bowie terrified me as a kid, but now I appreciate his musical talents. I know it was made in the '80s, but a grown man should NEVER wear spandex!

unless he is spiderman, i agree.

Funny how a lot of the females on this thread seem fixated on Mr Bowie's tights... :D In a desperate attempt to raise the conversation from crotch level, which scenes are your favourites? (No, you're not allowed to say any scene with Bowie in his tights).

Mine would be:

The scene with the door-knockers - I always find this funny.
The bit where Sarah and Bowie dance in the enchanted ballroom. Beautiful costumes and a great ending where Sarah realises something is wrong and smashes her way out.
The end bit with the staircases - I love the look of this with people running upside down etc.

Halo said:
Funny how a lot of the females on this thread seem fixated on Mr Bowie's tights... :D In a desperate attempt to raise the conversation from crotch level, which scenes are your favourites? (No, you're not allowed to say any scene with Bowie in his tights).

Mine would be:

The scene with the door-knockers - I always find this funny.
The bit where Sarah and Bowie dance in the enchanted ballroom. Beautiful costumes and a great ending where Sarah realises something is wrong and smashes her way out.
The end bit with the staircases - I love the look of this with people running upside down etc.
Halo, you have impeccable taste! Not only are you a die-hard Morrissey fan, but you picked out the best scenes in the whole movie!

Great minds think alike, eh?

Come on, Halo, you cannot discuss this movie without ackowledging the pants - I believe this movie played a pivitol role in my understanding of the male anatomy! ;)

As to favourite scenes, I just love the beginning, when she's out in the gardens practicing her lines (what play was she rehearsing, I can't recall). She looks beautiful in that dress - as a kid I wanted to *be* Sarah! I also love the Bog of Eternal Stench, if only for it's name and Ludo's, "Smell Bad!!!" :D

But I think my favourite scenes were of Bowie himself watching her through his crystals - I just loved his character. Not malevolent, but frightening in an icy, surreal sort of way. I've tried many times to spin 3 marbles in my hand like he did, but could never quite pull it off.

And of course:

"You remind me of the babe."
"What babe?"
"The babe with the power."
"What power?"
"The power of voodoo."
"Who do?"
"You do."
"Do what?"
"Remind me of the babe!"

"Dance magic, dance magic..."

I haven't seen this movie in years. All I can remember is Bowie palm-juggling those glass spheres, and some troll thing peeing in a big hole... and something about farting rocks or whatnot in a creek they were crossing. Thanks. Now the movie is Amazoned and its way.

Back