• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Laptopgiving.org

Good joke, Stewart :D !

Well, I think that giving a laptop is a goos idea. But it should be supplied along with a teacher who will provide the learning. And internet connection would be also useful. And knowing to read and write (and better in English).

Than you get connected to the world.

It's a simple alternative to giving money.

An alternative that can foster learning and communication.

The keyboards are supplied with the native language to whichever country the computer goes to.

If you enjoy the idea of helping to educate in a direct manner then you should hopefully enjoy the idea of what this organization is trying to do.

If you're not crazy about it that's fine too. There's plenty of places out there that'll accept your donations.

I think the laptop idea rocks real hard. Just wanted to pass it along to people who may not know about it.

Happy Holidays To All :D

Laptops are nice, but you can make your money go further while giving something far more essential. Vaccinations, mosquito nets, clean water, birth certificates. Dead cheap.

And if you want to spend that much money, sponsor a child. It makes a massive difference to the whole community and once they've built the school and employed the teachers, then they can start spending the money on computers.

As I said, there are many different ways to donate money.

I love this idea. You may love another.

Feel free to provide links, start threads, or whatever regarding the charity you find exciting or new.

It's a simple alternative to giving money.

An alternative that can foster learning and communication.

The keyboards are supplied with the native language to whichever country the computer goes to.

If you enjoy the idea of helping to educate in a direct manner then you should hopefully enjoy the idea of what this organization is trying to do.

I also believe in helping by education. Not vaccination or food, as other people here mentioned it, but education. But laptop might be an overshoot (in my opinion). Have you been to those places where laptop is to be sent? Because if you go there, you might realize that there is no point for that. You can find out that it serves as a holder for cans of milk or something. For the reason that nobody understands its direct application.

My friend, a doctor, volonteered somewhere in Africa and was relieved to get back. She told that once there was a person who came to her with pains. She asked, "how long do you have those pains?" - in a standard way of questioning that the doctors must do. He replied, "for two years". She was angry that he did not go to a doctor immediately. But he replied that she was the first doctor to come to that village in many-many years.

So now go and give those people a laptop. May be when electricity will get there in another 100 years, they will realize what it was good for.

However, whatever makes you feel good and generous - is good :D Sounds like an Xmas feeling.

Perhaps some of you negative type peoples should read through a bit of the web site link I provided?

What kinds of power sources can I use with the XO laptop?

In addition to plugging the laptop into an electrical outlet (110-240 volts AC), the XO laptop can be powered by solar energy and human energy with pull cords and hand cranks. The XO laptop can take a DC input ranging from 11 volts to 40 volts, a range that’s far more flexible than most portable devices. The XO laptop is remarkably energy efficient, using only 5-10 percent of the average wattage of a standard laptop. For formal specifications, visit http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification#Specifications.

Why do children in developing nations need laptop computers?

Laptop computers are both a window and a tool – a window out to the world and a tool with which to think. Computers are a wonderful way for all children to learn through independent interaction and exploration.

And again....this idea may not be for you. That's ok. Giving money to save some species of squirrel ain't my thing.

Whatever dude.

Donate books to them if that's your choice. At least books can be burned in the fire so that they can have cooked monkey for dinner.

:rolleyes:

Offer Extended Through End Of 2007

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - A promotion in which a customer buying a $188 computer in the U.S. and Canada automatically donates a second one to a child in a developing country was extended until year's end, organizers said Thursday.

The "Give One, Get One" program will now run through Dec. 31, instead of ending on Nov. 26, according to the One Laptop Per Child Program, a nonprofit spinoff from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The program said customers in the U.S. and Canada will pay $399 for two laptops, with one going to the buyer and the other to a child in such countries as Rwanda, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Haiti and Mongolia.

"In the past 10 days, we've experienced an outpouring of support from the public that is truly gratifying and encouraging," said Nicholas Negroponte, the program's founder.

Negroponte said they decided to extend the program because "so many people have asked for more time to participate either individually or in order to organize local and national groups to which they belong."

"We want as many people as possible to have the opportunity to act upon the giving spirit of the holiday season," he said.

The laptop has a homegrown user interface designed for children, boasts built-in wireless networking, uses very little power and can be recharged by hand with a pulley or a crank.

source <---click me :D

Back