• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Large book chains vs. small indep.stores-which do you prefer?

There's such a fine line between helpful and annoying isn't there! What usually happens when I enter a bookstore of any variety is my mind goes blank for a few minutes as I gawk around at all the possibilites. If a store clerk walks up to me and asks if I need help, my automatic response is "no thank you." It would be better for them and for me, if they'd give me a few minutes to wander around and get my bearings, and restart my brain so I can remember what I wandered in for in the first place! Since I usually don't have my 9x7 3-ring binder full of booklists with me, it takes me awhile to be ready to be a good shopper:rolleyes:

You keep your lists in a binder?? Now that's one I haven't thought of. Mine are usually on a scrap of paper I keep in my wallet. Sometimes I forget and leave an updated list at home. I wish it were fashionable to have a notebook and pencil hanging from your neck, a'la Holly Hunter in "The Piano". :rolleyes:

Miss Shelf said:
You keep your lists in a binder?? Now that's one I haven't thought of. Mine are usually on a scrap of paper I keep in my wallet. Sometimes I forget and leave an updated list at home. I wish it were fashionable to have a notebook and pencil hanging from your neck, a'la Holly Hunter in "The Piano". :rolleyes:

My binder is smaller than the normal ones for school. It's 9x7 inches and uses the smaller lined paper from wal-mart. I even have dividers for months of the year and a calendar,but I don't know that I'll get a calendar next year since I don't use it much. Mine has pockets on the front and back, which are stuffed with those little notes you're talking about. I like to take it with me when I go to the library to help me remember what to look for there.

As for carrying pens and fashions: For several pregnancies I wore denims jumpers a lot. They were comfortable, and usually had nice deep pockets for pens and stuff. I also used to wear my hair long and would put it up in a bun to keep it off my neck in the summer. That was wierd enough, but I really stood out when I'd be halfway through the grocery store and realize I still had a pencil stuck in my bun so I didn't loose it:rolleyes: My latest thing is to perch a pen behind my ear.. fashionable? I don't think so!

abecedarian said:
For several pregnancies I wore denims jumpers a lot.
To clarify, these are denim overalls, are they not? There's a number of British people looking at you *very* oddly right now.

Kookamoor said:
To clarify, these are denim overalls, are they not? There's a number of British people looking at you *very* oddly right now.

More like denim sundresses..meant to be worn over some sort of shirt:rolleyes: Sorry, I forgot about the furriners:D

abecedarian said:
More like denim sundresses..meant to be worn over some sort of shirt:rolleyes: Sorry, I forgot about the furriners:D
We once went to a wedding where the theme was "western" style (cowboy western). My wife wore a very nice western style denim dress. :)

Back