• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

And for my viewing pleasure over the next few days I have:

The pilot episode (full length movie) for 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!'

The pilot episode for 'The Lone Ranger' Hi-o Silver! Away! :D

The Over The Hill Gang Rides Again - Fred Astaire in a western - had to see that!

Rootin' Tootin' Rhythm - Gene Autry

And for a complete change of pace - Streetdance 2 (I'm watching them in reverse order from most recent to oldest LOL)

I watched 'The Lone Ranger' last night - so cool watching it again although I don't specifically remember the pilot episode I do remember watching some part of the series as a child (our TV broadcaster still buys ancient US programs and shows them 'as new' years later!) .

It was a lot of fun. The good guys are good and the bad guys are bad and the morality is very simple and clear. Good guys get the bad guys.

Over the weekend:

The Wild Geese :star3:
Damnatus :star3:
Troll Hunter :star4:
Starship Troopers 2 :star1: (I'd give it zero if that was an option)

I watched The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp last weekend. I didn't like it but I didn't hate it either. Just average in my opinion.

Deathwatch.

Kill List

I had no idea either of those were "horror" movies until they were well underway. I consider this a good thing. Horror is a genre I normally avoid but I have to say that these were well done.

Dear Frankie

Directed by Shona Auerbach, Dear Frankie revolves around nine-year-old Frankie (Jack McElhone) and his mother, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer). The mother and son duo have been on the run for as long as Frankie, who has been deaf for years, can remember. In an effort to protect Frankie from the truth -- that a psychotic father, whose physical abuse caused his hearing loss, is at the root of their constant need to move from one home to the next -- Lizzie pens a series of letters from Frankie's "father" in hopes of assuaging his curiosity. However, when Frankie becomes convinced that his father is taking a break from his exotic adventures and making his way back home, Lizzie must make a tough decision: find another way to pacify Frankie's desire to meet his father or tell him the awful truth. ~

One of those quiet understated British movies that was thoroughly enjoyable. Despite what could have been really depressing material, it was instead heart warming and uplifting and hopeful.

:star5:

I watched Zhang Yimou's "Shanghai Triad" again last night - subtitled instead of dubbed and to my absolute horror they didn't subtitle the lyrics to the song Gong Li sings - the lyrics of that song are absolutely integral to understanding the layers of relationships in the movie.

:star5: for the extra bits that were cut from the dubbed International release and because, despite what Zhang Yimou thinks of the film, it is still brilliant.

:star2: for failing to translate an integral part of the film

Dear Frankie

Directed by Shona Auerbach, Dear Frankie revolves around nine-year-old Frankie (Jack McElhone) and his mother, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer). The mother and son duo have been on the run for as long as Frankie, who has been deaf for years, can remember. In an effort to protect Frankie from the truth -- that a psychotic father, whose physical abuse caused his hearing loss, is at the root of their constant need to move from one home to the next -- Lizzie pens a series of letters from Frankie's "father" in hopes of assuaging his curiosity. However, when Frankie becomes convinced that his father is taking a break from his exotic adventures and making his way back home, Lizzie must make a tough decision: find another way to pacify Frankie's desire to meet his father or tell him the awful truth. ~

One of those quiet understated British movies that was thoroughly enjoyable. Despite what could have been really depressing material, it was instead heart warming and uplifting and hopeful.

:star5:

Ohhh, I love that movie! that little boy gave such a fantastic performance :)

Watched the first season of Game of Thrones - I'm thoroughly addicted now.

Elysium :star3:
All in all a pretty entertaining Sci-fi action adventure. In the future rich people have created their own "heaven" and set it into orbit around earth. They have vacated earth, which is overpopulated, polluted and disease ridden, leaving the rest of us rabble to struggle on having to deal with things like poverty, violence, pain and death. The story is of one man's attempt to reach Elysium, at first to save himself from radiation poisoning (people can be healed of any disease on Elysium, simply by laying down in a special tube for a couple of minutes), but ultimately for the possibility of saving the rest of the miserable poor people here on earth.
Wrapped up a little to neatly with extremely heavy handed messianic overtones, but.... did I mention people put on exo-skins and physically annihilate each other?

Saw Tom Hanks in Castaway (finally) - been semi avoiding it because there was always something more appealing to watch but finally got around to it. (OK ok it was on TV and there was NOTHING else to watch) and I have to admit it wasn't bad. Dragged a bit in the middle, but the end was moving.

Oblivion - wasn't expecting much (Tom Cruise & something sciency? meh) but it was a lot of fun, and gorgeous to look at. :star4:

Mud - really good performances but I feel this one was kind of overhyped. :star3:

Answer This!

A brilliant trivia whiz, Paul Tarson (Christopher Gorham) is great at answering life's little questions, but horrible at answering the big ones. Now he and his friends will finally get a shot at beer, women and nerdy redemption when they enter the biggest challenge of their lives, a citywide pub trivia tournament. But when Paul falls for one of his students he'll find out that the little things are bigger than he bargained for and will have to make the biggest adult decision of his life!

Not bad, but I thought it would be more thoughtful and less trivial (pun intended :D)

:star3: and 1/2

I watched Zhang Yimou's "Shanghai Triad" again last night - subtitled instead of dubbed and to my absolute horror they didn't subtitle the lyrics to the song Gong Li sings - the lyrics of that song are absolutely integral to understanding the layers of relationships in the movie.

:star5: for the extra bits that were cut from the dubbed International release and because, despite what Zhang Yimou thinks of the film, it is still brilliant.

:star2: for failing to translate an integral part of the film
Is there an equivalent word to Anglophile, but for all things Chinese?

Back