• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Sinophile doesn't seem to have the same 'feel' as an Anglophile. But I too think you got the right word. :)

You Sinophile you...

Zero Dark Thirty :star4:

Liked it a lot. Mainly because it didn't seem to push an opinion/agenda or attempt to force conclusions. It just told the story, and did that very well.

Paul. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have tackled sitcoms (Spaced), zombies (Shaun Of The Dead), cop movies (Hot Fuzz) and now turn their eye to science fiction. Two English SF geeks decide to combine their trip to Comic-Con with a cross-country trip to see Area 51. Along the way, they pick up a hitch-hiker from another planet - Paul, a little grey alien with big eyes and a dirty mouth who likes to smoke pot and claims to have been a consultant on every alien movie since the 50s - and a very devout Christian American. Things are complicated enough before they get the Men In Black on their trail for kidnapping and harbouring an alien...

Like their earlier movies it's a labour of love, a wall-to-wall barrage of homages, clever nods and gags that work both as references and within this story, and fans of sci fi from the last 50 years (really, pretty much any sci fi from the last 50 years) will definitely find something to love here. It doesn't quite have the same zing as their earlier movies though (director Edgar Wright isn't on board this time, he was busy shooting Scott Pilgrim). But if you've always wanted to hear a country & western version of the Star Wars cantina theme, it's hard to give this one a miss. :star4:

Watched it last night and although I liked it there's a scene that annoys me.

The love interest is a trailer park fundamentalist Christian girl with an eye defect. She provokes an argument about creationism with the boys and Paul, she can't see Paul because he's in the toilet. The argument gets heated and Paul throws the door open presenting himself as proof that religion is nonsense. As a bonus trailer park girl gets her blind eye repaired by the miraculous power of Paul's touch.

Now to me this premise that creationism is nonsense because extra-terrestrials are real is a bit of a low blow insofar as it uses a mythical being to attack religion.

Watched it last night and although I liked it there's a scene that annoys me.

The love interest is a trailer park fundamentalist Christian girl with an eye defect. She provokes an argument about creationism with the boys and Paul, she can't see Paul because he's in the toilet. The argument gets heated and Paul throws the door open presenting himself as proof that religion is nonsense. As a bonus trailer park girl gets her blind eye repaired by the miraculous power of Paul's touch.

Now to me this premise that creationism is nonsense because extra-terrestrials are real is a bit of a low blow insofar as it uses a mythical being to attack religion.

I have only watched bits of this movie but it looked like it could be seriously funny.

I'm not sure how religion precludes the possibility of there being extra-terrestrial life.

I have only watched bits of this movie but it looked like it could be seriously funny.

I'm not sure how religion precludes the possibility of there being extra-terrestrial life.

It had some good funny bits. Paul's making the point that the way he looks is the outcome of evolution.

A Place Beyond the Pines :star3:1/2

Ryan Gosling stars as a near-do-well stunt motorcycle driver who finds out he has a son with a woman he had a one nighter with. He turns to robbing banks to try to provide money for the woman and his child.

Bradley cooper plays an ambitious beat cop, the son of a judge, who crosses paths with Gosling's character with dire consequences.
Sounds like something you have seen before? It's not. It gets the extra half star because I had absolutely no clue what was going to happen next. Right up until the end.

My personal jury is out on Ryan Gosling. Part of me thinks he might be this generations Keanu Reeves. He seems extremely one dimensional, but he does it with so much more presence and intensity.
Bradley Cooper was excellent in this. Ray Liotta and Eva Mendes round out a pretty nice cast.

Back