• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Pitch Black (2000). I don't usually watch anything sci-fi but I don't feel this particular film focused on the sci-fi (ie. the creepy crawly things and the fact of them being on a seemingly abandoned (not counting aforementioned creepy crawlies) planet) as much as it did on the relationships between the survivors of the spaceship-crash (couldn't very well say plane-crash, now could I?) In other words, it might as well have been set in the Sahara with man-eating gerbils instead of the lizard-like flying things. Surprisingly, I liked Vin Diesel in this one. :star3:

you expect *gasp* ACTING from a slasher film? There is a reason these are 'B-grade' straight to DVD flicks :rofl
I expect acting in a good horror movie. If they'd advertised it as "crap slasher" rather than "for people who liked Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer" I'd have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

I expect acting in a good horror movie. If they'd advertised it as "crap slasher" rather than "for people who liked Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer" I'd have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

aah yes well - the DVD box as the last bastion of truthfulness in reporting ;)

Pitch Black (2000). I don't usually watch anything sci-fi but I don't feel this particular film focused on the sci-fi (ie. the creepy crawly things and the fact of them being on a seemingly abandoned (not counting aforementioned creepy crawlies) planet) as much as it did on the relationships between the survivors of the spaceship-crash (couldn't very well say plane-crash, now could I?) In other words, it might as well have been set in the Sahara with man-eating gerbils instead of the lizard-like flying things. Surprisingly, I liked Vin Diesel in this one. :star3:

I quite liked Pitch Black; I think David Twohy is a really underrated director/writer.

Jack Reacher - I haven't actually read the series, so I wasn't too put off by Tom Cruise being cast...it was an ok action/mystery but also a painfully blatant white-male reactionary fantasy. 2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - I liked this once it finally got started. There's a lot of little things in this movie that aren't all that pertinent to the story and kind of feels like Peter Jackson thumbing his nose at the fanboys who complained about LOTR's missing book details. It looks gorgeous though and for the most part, moves pretty quickly; and the cast is fantastic.
I still don't see the point of dividing this story into two (three?) movies, but I guess if it means an additional couple hours of looking at Richard Armitage & James Nesbitt, I really can't complain. :D
3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Pitch Black is quite an interesting movie. It is an prequel to 'The Chronicles of Riddick' even though there is 4 years between the two productions and seem to bear little resemblance to each other but in terms of the storyline Pitch Black is part of the backstory of Richard B. Riddick (the character Vin Diesel plays in both films). In it Riddick is being transported to prison and the events in Pitch Black allow him to escape and go into hiding which is where we find him at the beginning of The Chronicles of Riddick. The film ends with Riddick telling the others to "Tell 'em Riddick's dead. He died somewhere on that planet." should they encounter any law enforcement personnel.

I've never watched The Chronicles of Riddick, I know it is a sequel to Pitch Black though so perhaps I should give it a go. :)

It is so different ots hard to see a connection between the two. I think The Chronicles of Riddick was brilliant. There was supposed to be a third movie in the trilogy but I guess it foundered somewhere in complexity of getting a movie actually made.

Men in black 3. For being a sequel, it was equally as good as the first MIB. #2 was dreadful, just terrible. 3 was good stuff.:star3:

Men in black 3. For being a sequel, it was equally as good as the first MIB. #2 was dreadful, just terrible. 3 was good stuff.:star3:

1 was totally brilliant, 2 was not bad bordered on OK and 3 wasn't great - it felt very 'been there done that'.

My weekend viewing:

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Special effects were of course good - almost not worth commenting any more about special effects. Story was not bad but character development was weak and the story had fewer and far less developed sub-plots compared with the other stories. Took too long to get to the main part of the story which then was insufficiently told.

3 stars just because of Johnny Depp

Another Earth

Small independent films sometimes look like small independent films and sometimes they don't. This is the movie to show if any idiot says you can't make a great movie with no money. The film makers started filming with one camera and $100. And as they showed what they had to people more money and more actors joined in. Brilliantly thought provoking and sensitive movie.

Highly recommended

The Avengers

Should have been better than it was. One of those movies that more time was spent on the action and special effects than actually telling the story but there was enough in the story to see what it should have been if they had focused just a touch more attention on telling the story. Film makers sometimes get lost in the technology and forget that first and foremost they are telling a story.

4 stars - just because of Robert Downey Jnr.

Journey to the Mysterious Island

I'm not normally a huge fan of The Rock or 3D for that matter, but this movie was great fun. It was OTT in the right ways and subdued when it needed to be. Great family fun. Actually would not have minded seeing this one in 3D which is rare praise for me as I think 3D is usually just utilized for a cheap thrill and adds nothing to the value of the movie.

5 stars for good fun.

U
Hero - this must be his most layered film and needs multiple viewings to fully appreciate. He really takes the fine nuances of colour symbolism to the limit in this film.

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles - a beautiful finely crafted and subtly nuanced film. Here Zhang Yimou allows the silence of the vast landscapes to speak volumes.

Shanghai Triad - Zhang Yimou says this movie was not one of his best but I really like it. A look at at the end of Triad mob boss through the eyes of the child. Multi-layered story telling with sub plots being told through song (pay attention to the lyrics) and colour.

House of Flying Daggers - love, duty and betrayal in fine Wuxia style. Again colour symbolism plays an important part of the story telling.
I really like House of Flying Daggers. I didn't care for this type of movie and never watched it. I'm so glad I decided to give it a try, really fantastic. Subtle on so many levels directly opposite of the grandeur of Golden Flower.

Wow, wuxia lovers! Awesome! I really really like them, grew up with them practically. The newer ones tend to be catered more towards 'respectability' rather than good ole fun, but if they're good then great!

I liked Ashes Of Time, and recently, The Grandmaster, both by Wong Kar Wai. The Man With The Iron Fists by Tarantino was fun too, it's probably not strictly wuxia.

I have not seen Ashes of Time although I believe that the Redux is better.

The Grandmaster is also on my 'too see' list.

I saw "The Magician" (Tong Leung) recently-ish and it was a really confusing film at the beginning until I realised that it was a bit of a spoof in the traditional style, or a spoof of the traditional style, or just plain hysterically funny - take your pick LOL. Once I realised that, I sat back and enjoyed it thoroughly. By the end I was nearly on the floor laughing.

If you can get Red Cliff - the original long two part release, not the cut-to-bits International release - it is one of the most satisfying movies I have seen in a long time. One of the one's you can watch over and over.

Actually as a general rule of thumb don't get the international release of any Chinese / Asian movie - they cut out all the good bits, and not to mention what they do with the dialogue as well. Read the subtitles - you will thank me!

I have not seen Ashes of Time although I believe that the Redux is better.
I've seen the Redux, and from what I've read there's really not much of a difference, except there were extended bits. Very stylish stuff, and it's weird seeing the icons of the Three Kingdoms depicted as such. Certainly Leslie Cheung was strange - a little too much baggage associated with him as an actor to see him play a wandering, self-exiled killer.

I saw "The Magician" (Tong Leung) recently-ish and it was a really confusing film at the beginning until I realised that it was a bit of a spoof in the traditional style, or a spoof of the traditional style, or just plain hysterically funny - take your pick LOL. Once I realised that, I sat back and enjoyed it thoroughly. By the end I was nearly on the floor laughing.
Going on my watchlist! Forgot about this one. Tony Leung is pretty amazing.

If you can get Red Cliff - the original long two part release, not the cut-to-bits International release - it is one of the most satisfying movies I have seen in a long time. One of the one's you can watch over and over.
I've watched the first, but not the second film. I don't know why I'm waiting so long to watch the other half. Partly because the ending is not exactly a surprise (part of The Three Kingdoms, after all), but the other part is watching Takeshi Kaneshiro as my fav Three Kingdoms character, Zhu Ge Liang. Anecdote: I once worked with a lady who met HK actress Charlie Young during the course of her work. If you know your HK movies, Charlie regularly gets cast alongside Kaneshiro. Apparently Charlie remarked that Kaneshiro isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This remark stayed with me, and the fact that I'm not a big fan of him, makes me wince at seeing him being cast as the smartest character in the entire Three Kingdoms canon.

Whew, that went on a little longer than I expected.

Actually as a general rule of thumb don't get the international release of any Chinese / Asian movie - they cut out all the good bits, and not to mention what they do with the dialogue as well. Read the subtitles - you will thank me!
Ok, disclosure. I'm a Chinese Malaysian, and I speak Cantonese, and an embarrassing smattering of Mandarin (can't read, though). So I usually don't have to resort to subtitles (unless it's Mandarin) for understanding, more of a supplementary tool. :) I dislike dubbed HK films as a rule, and don't watch dubbed anything (Japanese, Korean, French, German, etc) if I can help it. We usually get the HK release where I am, but that's really a moot point, because, I, uh, get to watch them, uhm, under serendipitous circumstances.

uh LOL no fair!! Well the advice still stands for others :) Don't watch the poopy dubbed and cut versions :)

I've watched the first, but not the second film. I don't know why I'm waiting so long to watch the other half. Partly because the ending is not exactly a surprise (part of The Three Kingdoms, after all), but the other part is watching Takeshi Kaneshiro as my fav Three Kingdoms character, Zhu Ge Liang. Anecdote: I once worked with a lady who met HK actress Charlie Young during the course of her work. If you know your HK movies, Charlie regularly gets cast alongside Kaneshiro. Apparently Charlie remarked that Kaneshiro isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. This remark stayed with me, and the fact that I'm not a big fan of him, makes me wince at seeing him being cast as the smartest character in the entire Three Kingdoms canon.

this is why its called ACTING! LOL but I know what you mean, there are a few actors I don't watch because of shenanigans in their personal lives which is why I prefer not to know anything about them.

Going on my watchlist! Forgot about this one. Tony Leung is pretty amazing.

Just don't confuse him with the other Tony Leung, although he is a good actor too LOL

PS my mandarin consists of "ce suo zai nali?" "ni hao" and "xie xie" ok lol perhaps a bit more than that but you get the drift :) Every now and then I surprise myself by reading something and thinking IT IS GOING IN! but then when I try to speak to some one I can't remember the word I need, I know I know it but in the moment I'm blank. Very annoying.

Ok, Meadow, you've thoroughly convinced me of your street cred. If you actually know there are 2 Tony Leungs, then you're no ordinary watcher of HK flicks.

I don't know the current crop of younger HK actors very well, as I've been really out of touch. I keep to my kungfu/wuxia/brawlers when it comes to my Chinese cinema nowadays - the other movies (drama and stuff) have a manufactured feel to them, churned out and produced in months from start to finish. That's not to say kungfu/wuxia movies aren't done as such, but the sets alone will ensure it's at least done with some care.

My mandarin is probably slightly better than yours, but I don't think it's by very much.

Good heavens that is an old thread :)

LOL yes there are two Tony Leung's - Tony Leung Ka Fei and Tony Leung Chiu Wai :p

What is the issue with Leslie Cheung besides his suicide (or shouldn't I ask?)?. I thoroughly enjoyed "Farewell My Concubine" - brilliant acting.

I really enjoyed "Lust Caution" as well, although I really must get around to watching it again.

"Tracing Shadow" was a total riot. Ok you do need to know whose who in the zoo to appreciate the send up's but man I was laughing so hard. Acting wasn't worth a pinch of salt but it was seriously funny.

Another more recent watch which was pretty good was "Shaolin".

What is the issue with Leslie Cheung besides his suicide (or shouldn't I ask?)?. I thoroughly enjoyed "Farewell My Concubine" - brilliant acting.
No, no, wrong with asking, of course. Nothing at all to do with whatever he did in real life. It's just that I grew up watching Leslie in his various roles for many many years, and over time there's this stereotypical pigeon-holing that happens in my head. My memory of his many effeminate roles does not jive well with his role in Ashes. But, of course, this is just me. I suppose this is a curse of the incredibly versatile actor.

No, no, wrong with asking, of course. Nothing at all to do with whatever he did in real life. It's just that I grew up watching Leslie in his various roles for many many years, and over time there's this stereotypical pigeon-holing that happens in my head. My memory of his many effeminate roles does not jive well with his role in Ashes. But, of course, this is just me. I suppose this is a curse of the incredibly versatile actor.

Being pigeon holed / type cast is the curse of most actors.

Back