• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

Enchanted - you know, the new Disney movie where one of their cartoon princesses suddenly finds herself in a very real, smelly and non-talking-squirrel-inhabited New York. REALLY not my normal type of movie, but hell, it works. You gotta love it when Disney spoof themselves, and even if both the satire and the humour could have been a lot sharper - the movie's lite-version of New York isn't really much more realistic than the typical animated Disney movie - it's consistently enjoyable, it pokes good-natured fun at everything from Cinderella to King Kong, and Amy Adams does a great job of playing a flesh-and-blood cartoon character (it's all in the tone of voice and the body movements). Seeing it in good company helps, too. :) 3/5.

was it crowded? :) :mad: :mad: ------- 1,000th reply

Night at the Opera

This movies real funny I love it it's good!!!!!.... oops,....I mean...... not bad, not bad..I feel as if I should pontificate here..... uh...

In this wonderouse romp, A Night At THe Opera, Groucho Mars graces the screen and the stage,.... and manages both without ever having any grace,.... save the grace he uses to paint on his mustache and eyebrows every morning, I'm sure. You'll howl with laughter at his brothers too, cause this movie is very Harpo and Chico, honk! honk!, and you'll guffaw without inhibitions as you're given a front row seat to the antics of these operaritic operaters as they try to sabatoge the straight man Gutleib and the general status quo.
...see Groucho get kicked down a flight of stairs by an elevator shoe!
...see all three Mars brothers in fake mustaches and cake mustaches!
...see the nosey inspector get bed ridden by the brothers of comedy!
...see Harpo fall into the sea!

Juno. I liked it and all, but it's not exactly the great indie comedy of '07. The writer of this film, Diablo Cody, tries too hard to make her dialogue sound hip and quirky. She's only partially successful. The most irritating lines of the film had to have been:

That ain't no etch-a-sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, homeskillet.

The more I think of that line, the worse it gets.

As far as boyfriends go, Paulie Bleeker is totally boss. He is the cheese to my macaroni.

Y'know . . . I can't say I've ever heard anyone in real life use the word "boss" as an adjective.

Whereas the writing is deeply flawed, Juno is redeemed by terrific acting. Allison Janney and Ellen Page (as the title character) are particularly memorable; Janney responsible for one of the movie's greatest moments and Page making a potentially annoying character somewhat likable.

I saw The Kite Runner and found it better than expected........
The shots in Afghanistan were great images, although I understand it was made in China. Looked like Afghanistan to me.

Your expertize in Afganistan landscape makes me think that you are at least a frequent visitor there, if not and Afgan native :D

Spent the last 90 minutes of the New Years' party (about 5AM-6.30) watching Be Here To Love Me, a documentary on Townes Van Zandt; one of those gifted songwriters who could write a song to make grown men cry yet couldn't manage his own life, drinking himself to death at 53. Great film, mixing interviews with Townes, friends and other musicians, and performances. One of those artists who got a too close to the darkness and stayed there a little too long - spookily enough, at one point I remarked to a friend that he reminded me of Van Gogh, and two minutes later Van Zandt himself makes the same comparison. 4/5.

a documentary on Townes Van Zandt; one of those gifted songwriters who could write a song to make grown men cry yet couldn't manage his own life, drinking himself to death at 53.

just the... way.... you wrote about him...... is so deeply moving..... and the way you mentioned.... how spooky your Van Gogh observation was.... was just so ...... spooky and moving..... and heartfelt.......and it was just so meaningful! I give you a 3/5 buddy, bravo!

I got the DVD of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for Christmas. I watched it on New Year's Day during my return to sobriety. Though they missed a few key points that I enjoyed in the book, they did very well with the film. I must say that, to date, they have done well with all of the HP films, in my opinion, and I look forward to the next one.

Spent the last 90 minutes of the New Years' party (about 5AM-6.30) watching Be Here To Love Me, a documentary on Townes Van Zandt; one of those gifted songwriters who could write a song to make grown men cry yet couldn't manage his own life, drinking himself to death at 53. Great film, mixing interviews with Townes, friends and other musicians, and performances. One of those artists who got a too close to the darkness and stayed there a little too long - spookily enough, at one point I remarked to a friend that he reminded me of Van Gogh, and two minutes later Van Zandt himself makes the same comparison. 4/5.

That's a great documentary, I think I watched it on the Independent Film Channel or the Sundance Channel, sometime last year. I was hoping to see an interview with some of the Cowboy Junkies, as they toured with him some. I love their cover of Van Zandt's To Live is to Fly.

I found the orginal Dr. Doolittle on the Hallmark channel last night, so I had it on in the background while playing poker. What a fun movie that was. I loved it as a kid and it's amazing to see the relatively horrible picture quality and "special effects" that were truly stunning to me back then. I fear I just dated myself terribly.:eek:

I have also become a huge fan of the History International channel and saw a few great documentaries on ancient Egypt. They also had a 2-part series entitled Banned from the Bible that was very enlightening. I got the hubby hooked on those just as he got me hooked on Survivorman.:rolleyes:

I found the orginal Dr. Doolittle on the Hallmark channel last night, so I had it on in the background while playing poker. What a fun movie that was. I loved it as a kid and it's amazing to see the relatively horrible picture quality and "special effects" that were truly stunning to me back then. I fear I just dated myself terribly.:eek:

I have also become a huge fan of the History International channel and saw a few great documentaries on ancient Egypt. They also had a 2-part series entitled Banned from the Bible that was very enlightening. I got the hubby hooked on those just as he got me hooked on Survivorman.:rolleyes:

they've done lots with special effects

Last night saw Juno at the theater. It was great!!! Funniest movie I have seen in a long time.

And also rented Bridge to Terabithia and watched it last night. It was pretty good too.

who wins? predator or alien..... I bet they made it a stupid tie just so not to offend either fan base

Just got back from seeing Sergei Eisenstein's 1927 silent classic, Battleship Potemkin at the Barbican, with a score by the Pet Shop Boys, performed by them with the string section (and one trumpet) of the BBC Concert Orchestra.

The film tells the story of the 1905 Russian naval mutiny (the sailors refused to eat soup made from rotten, maggot-ridden meat, and the captain decided to shoot a number of them), which provoked support in nearby Odessa and a massacre of civilians by Cossacks.

I've seen the film before, but only on TV. My appreciation was increased by seeing it on a big screen. It's an amazing work with some iconic scenes – not least the Odessa steps sequence.

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe were approached a few years ago to write a new score for the film. The result links a classic orchestral style with the kind of electro sound that the Pets are famous for, and works exceptionally well, including – unexpectedly, if you haven't heard it before, three songs, which isn't something that you expect in a silent film.

A really interesting and enjoyable event.

Just got back from seeing Sergei Eisenstein's 1927 silent classic, Battleship Potemkin at the Barbican, with a score by the Pet Shop Boys, performed by them with the string section (and one trumpet) of the BBC Concert Orchestra.

The film tells the story of the 1905 Russian naval mutiny (the sailors refused to eat soup made from rotten, maggot-ridden meat, and the captain decided to shoot a number of them), which provoked support in nearby Odessa and a massacre of civilians by Cossacks.

I've seen the film before, but only on TV. My appreciation was increased by seeing it on a big screen. It's an amazing work with some iconic scenes – not least the Odessa steps sequence.

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe were approached a few years ago to write a new score for the film. The result links a classic orchestral style with the kind of electro sound that the Pets are famous for, and works exceptionally well, including – unexpectedly, if you haven't heard it before, three songs, which isn't something that you expect in a silent film.

A really interesting and enjoyable event.

I;ve seen Alexander Nevsky. I think it's really amazing that Einstein had so many talents, including one for cinema.

I watched Titus, Julie Taymor's 1999 film reworking of Shakespeare's play, Titus Andronicus, last night.

Returning from war against the Goths, Titus offers up the eldest son of on of his hostages, Tamara, queen of the Goths, as a traditional appeasement to the Roman dead. He then refuses the emperor's throne and nominates the venal Saturninus for the role, thinking it will avoid more problems for Rome. The new emperor then demands the hand of Lavinia, Titus's daughter, in marriage, largely to spite his brother, Bassanius, who is in love with Lavinia (and she with him). Titus, torn though he is, agrees. When Bassanius and Lavinia run away, with help from Titus's sons, he stands against them and kills one of his own. Saturninus then marries Tamara, who starts to enact her bloody revenge.

The play is an early one and is classed as a revenge tragedy. But this film employs fascist iconography to give it a modern resonance.

For instance, a number of scenes are set against the backdrop of the Museum of Roman Civilisation in Rome, which, although it was designed along classical lines, was actually built between 1939 and '40, on Mussolini's orders for his abortive exhibition, while Saturninus's costumes clearly echo fascist leaders of that era.

What this emphasises is that Titus is an honourable man, who is following orders and tradition, and trying to do what is best for his state/nation. In this he differs from, say, Macbeth - Titus does nothing wrong. That is his tragedy. The film presents us, therefore, with the idea of decent people caught up in evil times/acts, but of themselves not necessarily bad. And Tamara's early speech to Titus, saying that the Goths have done nothing different to that which Titus and his troops have done, except to be on the defeated side at the end, points up the fine line between winners and losers - history is written by the former and they declare what is morally acceptable in war and what is not.

In this, Titus is reminiscent of the magnificent Oberst Redl (1985): quashing your individuality in service of the state - treating the state as though it is an entity that is deserving of that - is a short-cut to tragedy.

Anthony Hopkins is magnificent in the title role. Jessica Lange is a revelation as Tamara and Alan Cumming does a super job of making Saturninus deeply disturbing.

This really is a magnificent film - possibly the best celluloid adaptation of a Shakespeare play that I have seen.

I watched Titus, Julie Taymor's 1999 film reworking of Shakespeare's play, Titus Andronicus, last night.

Returning from war against the Goths, Titus offers up the eldest son of on of his hostages, Tamara, queen of the Goths, as a traditional appeasement to the Roman dead. He then refuses the emperor's throne and nominates the venal Saturninus for the role, thinking it will avoid more problems for Rome. The new emperor then demands the hand of Lavinia, Titus's daughter, in marriage, largely to spite his brother, Bassanius, who is in love with Lavinia (and she with him). Titus, torn though he is, agrees. When Bassanius and Lavinia run away, with help from Titus's sons, he stands against them and kills one of his own. Saturninus then marries Tamara, who starts to enact her bloody revenge.

The play is an early one and is classed as a revenge tragedy. But this film employs fascist iconography to give it a modern resonance.

For instance, a number of scenes are set against the backdrop of the Museum of Roman Civilisation in Rome, which, although it was designed along classical lines, was actually built between 1939 and '40, on Mussolini's orders for his abortive exhibition, while Saturninus's costumes clearly echo fascist leaders of that era.

What this emphasises is that Titus is an honourable man, who is following orders and tradition, and trying to do what is best for his state/nation. In this he differs from, say, Macbeth - Titus does nothing wrong. That is his tragedy. The film presents us, therefore, with the idea of decent people caught up in evil times/acts, but of themselves not necessarily bad. And Tamara's early speech to Titus, saying that the Goths have done nothing different to that which Titus and his troops have done, except to be on the defeated side at the end, points up the fine line between winners and losers - history is written by the former and they declare what is morally acceptable in war and what is not.

In this, Titus is reminiscent of the magnificent Oberst Redl (1985): quashing your individuality in service of the state - treating the state as though it is an entity that is deserving of that - is a short-cut to tragedy.

Anthony Hopkins is magnificent in the title role. Jessica Lange is a revelation as Tamara and Alan Cumming does a super job of making Saturninus deeply disturbing.

This really is a magnificent film - possibly the best celluloid adaptation of a Shakespeare play that I have seen.

what is celluloid?

Back