• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

The Conjuring
It takes quite a bit of the scary away to watch these movies in the cinema, but it's so much fun watching/hearing people's reaction to it. The girl sitting behind me got so scared at one point that she squealed and kicked my seat very hard. The scary parts were good though which is all that matters in a horror movie.

Samsara
Not what I expected. Thought I was going to see a movie with pictures of the beautiful side of the world, and although it's there, for the most part it's about all the horrible crap humans have done to the earth and are doing.
One of the things I liked. There's some buddist monks (I think) sitting around a circular table making what's apparently called a sand mandala. This is elaborate, difficult and takes a lot of time. Then they're done and they just sweep it all together destroying the result of their work.

The destruction of a sand mandala is highly ceremonial. Even the deity syllables are removed in a specific order along with the rest of the geometry until at last the mandala has been dismantled. The sand is collected in a jar which is then wrapped in silk and transported to a river (or any place with moving water), where it is released back into nature. This symbolizes the impermanence of life and the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_mandala

Gravity 3D ...what an epic waste of time and money; I automatically muttered 'it'll all float, we all float' lol...I sneakily slept 15-20 minutes during the movie; everyone told me it was supposed to be some genius cinematic experience to be witnessed; It was more like the flick 'Buried', that's in space. The only amusing thing for me was that flying 3D corkscrew apparatus thingy. 1/10 for that flying bit. Don't know what the hype was about, the whole audience in the theater kept on groaning and whinging, praying their gods to end this bore-fest!

Gravity 3D ...what an epic waste of time and money; I automatically muttered 'it'll all float, we all float' lol...I sneakily slept 15-20 minutes during the movie; everyone told me it was supposed to be some genius cinematic experience to be witnessed; It was more like the flick 'Buried', that's in space. The only amusing thing for me was that flying 3D corkscrew apparatus thingy. 1/10 for that flying bit. Don't know what the hype was about, the whole audience in the theater kept on groaning and whinging, praying their gods to end this bore-fest!

I had a feeling from the trailer that it would be like this ... saw a making of ... kind of extended advertising thingy and that didn't improve my opinion either.

Gravity 3D ... It was more like the flick 'Buried', that's in space.

Ah. That's actually very helpful to me - I was on the fence about seeing this because I really liked the director's previous movie (Children of Men), and of course everyone's reaction to it has been so glowing; but I'm not a fan of either Clooney or Bullock. But I hated Buried. If this is like that, I can easily skip it.

I never read a bad review of it though; wondered how! So I guess I'm alone with judging this Gravity flick. Download and watch if you want to but I suggest not to waste money on it.

Mild Spoiler: (meaning: doesn't matter!!!)

There was only Bullock, playing Ryan Reynolds of Buried... Clooney flew away in a jiffy...

Also watched Monsters University. Took back to their uni years. Blue one was physically strong and green one eyed one was academically (scare tactics that is)... Unlike 'Monsters Inc.' it felt like a typical sports flick. Cliche...cliche everywhere induced in it. Failed as being a simplistic prequel, lacked imagination. Nevertheless these flicks are what make popcorn flicks more popular. A bit noisy but kinda brainless fun, good time for kids. I enjoyed minions more than this though; hence it gets 5/10....

I never read a bad review of it though; wondered how! So I guess I'm alone with judging this Gravity flick. Download and watch if you want to but I suggest not to waste money on it.
Mild Spoiler: (meaning: doesn't matter!!!)
There was only Bullock, playing Ryan Reynolds of Buried... Clooney flew away in a jiffy...

Also watched Monsters University. Took back to their uni years. Blue one was physically strong and green one eyed one was academically (scare tactics that is)... Unlike 'Monsters Inc.' it felt like a typical sports flick. Cliche...cliche everywhere induced in it. Failed as being a simplistic prequel, lacked imagination. Nevertheless these flicks are what make popcorn flicks more popular. A bit noisy but kinda brainless fun, good time for kids. I enjoyed minions more than this though; hence it gets 5/10....

Download LEGALLY please :)

LOL we can't pretend it doesn't happen, but we shouldn't encourage it either :)

Yeah legal, copyright stuffs, MPAA, NYPD freeze! and all that...guess I understand...it's no longer just file sharing; it's also Bullock's poor hairstylist's bread....My name would just habitually keep its mouth shut in such situations even if things are bought lol :)

Django Unchained - Quentin Tarrantino just keeps getting better and better :star5:

Cloud Atlas - one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. :star5:

Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away - stunningly simple and incredibly beautiful :star5:

Blackfish - fascinating but gutwrenching. To steal a quote from Will Cuppy, "this is what comes of teaching animals tricks." :star4:

Tintin - Really good. All cartoons should be made as well as this was. When are they making the rest? Even if I could spot the inspiration for much of the action scenes (James Bond, Jackie Chan, Lara Croft) they were still excellently done. The little homage to Hergé at the start of the film was perfect.

Escape from Planet Earth - cartoon, not bad, some good humour, but essentially a kids movie making $$ off the recent spate of alien themed cartoons. Not the best of the lot by any stretch but watchable.

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame - Chinese CGI has come a long way as evidenced by the sequences in this movie, but are still not quite up to par. Nonetheless this was a wuxia film with a difference and thoroughly enjoyable. I'm still trying to decide if I'm a fan of Samo Hung's stunt choreography as there is an unevenness to it I can't quite put my finger on. You can't go wrong with Tsui Hark's direction. Andy Lau was extremely good in the title role. Li Bingbing was extraordinarily good. There were even a few famous faces cameos. I shall be looking out for the sequel as that promises to be even better.

A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut
It was my first time watching the latter and it kind of started a little Kubrick watchathon. Had to watch Clockwork again because I didn't quite get it the first time I watched it. I am sure there is much more to see but I will tackle that the next time I watch it.

last film I saw in the cinema was the hobbit: desolation of smaug :)
but last night I watched grave of the fireflies.. not my favourite from Ghibli I must say.

Back