• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Left Behind (The Series)by Tim LaHaye & Jerry B. Jenkins.

Just being silly, Peder. You know me; not only do I not want to go away, I don't want anybody else to go away either.

(I will take you up on your rash offer to let me choose the next three books in the All Things thread though.) ;)

I now return your screens to the subject under discussion. It may have been a book, I believe.

That you are watching indicates you have been left behind. You are no doubt stunned, shocked, afraid and remorseful ...

StillILearn said:
Just being silly, Peder. You know me; not only do I not want to go away, I don't want anybody else to go away either.

(I will take you up on your rash offer to let me choose the next three books in the All Things thread though.) ;)

I now return your screens to the subject under discussion. It may have been a book, I believe.
Still,
I wasn't sure. :rolleyes:

But it is good to have you back in the present tense. That's perfect! :)

I asume that quote was from the first volume? From a minister addressing a group of Christian left-behinds, if memory serves? As I remember, not all people were stunned, shocked, afraid and remorseful. Not by a long shot, as I recall, which I believe was a further theme within the book.
(I read the first volume years ago, and then the last volume when it came out, again some years ago, but don't have either anymore to refer to.)

And, if all that is correct, I'll venture, by way of discussion, that the scene was an entirely plausible one within the framework of the events and people of the story, whether or not it can pass as a shrewd estimate of what the corresponding situation might be like in real life.

As a further observation, I'll offer that this series is more like fantasy than the usual novel, but less like fantasy than explicit fantasy novels. And it is that closer similarity to reality that arouses more pronounced agreements or disagreements with the book's content by different readers. However, it is still fiction IMO.

Peder

So I started reading Left Behind on the side. I'm through the first three chapters and... yes, it's badly written, it can't spell subtle, and so far the whole thing reads like a kid penning a revenge fantasy against a teacher who flunked him for claiming the earth is flat. "I'll show 'em! I'll write a story in which the world IS flat and all the round-earthers get what's coming to 'em!"

But damnit, it's hilarious.

OK, so we start off on a plane over the Atlantic, introducing us to our first two anti-heroes (by definition, since all the good people disappear in the first chapter). An airline pilot named Rayford (RAYFORD?) who's convinced he's smarter than his "religious fanatic" of a wife, and Buck (BUCK?) a boy wonder journalist who's just gotten back from Israel where he was sent to interview a man who received the Nobel prize for chemistry despite refusing to tell anyone how he'd done what he'd done.
Rosenzweig's formula was fast making Israel the richest nation on earth, far more profitable than its oil-laden neighbors. Every inch of ground blossomed with flowers and grains, including produce never before conceivable in Israel. The Holy Land became an export capital, the envy of the world, with virtually zero unemployment. Everyone prospered.
Because as we all know, everyone has oil, but nobody else anywhere in the world can grow flowers and carrots.

And then, just as Buck is waiting to interview him, the entire Russian air force tries to attack Israel - and burns up in mid-air when GOD intervenes! Of course, the stupid secular world doesn't actually believe this happened and it was barely a blip on the news.
Daylight revealed the carnage and exposed Russia's secret alliance with Middle Eastern nations, primarily Ethiopia and Libya.
Ethiopia and Lybia are in the Middle East now? Sure you're not thinking of Egypt and Syria? Besides, isn't Ethiopia, y'know, a Christian nation?

So back to the plane, where a bunch of passengers have suddenly disappeared mid-air (at least they're lucky to still have their pilot; apparently, a lot of planes have lost their flight crews, leading to thousands dying as planes drop from the sky and cars crash – nice work, God) and the captain has to tell the ones who are left what's happening.
I will try to contact Pan-Continental. I must tell you, however, that our location makes it extremely difficult to communicate with the ground without long delays. Even in this satellite age, we're in a pretty remote area.
If you're more remote than satellites, you're pretty far off course, mate. But they make it to Chicago with many a neurotic breakdown as people realise they've been Left Behind (yes, there's at least one title drop so far) and at least one Evil Drunken Materialist getting made fun of. And... ALL THE CHILDREN have disappeared! And that's just the beginning of it.
Most shocking to Rayford was a woman in labor, about to go into the delivery room, who was suddenly barren. Doctors delivered the placenta. Her husband had caught the disappearance of the fetus on tape.
Magic x-ray cameras? Also, can someone explain to me why corpses are getting raptured? I thought the whole deal about the rapture was that people get pulled up to heaven before dying?
As they burst through the door and onto the tarmac, the chopper blades whipped their hair and deafened them.
Ouch. I know getting a haircut must be expensive in the middle of the rapture, but...

And then our intrepid reporter is given a job. Millions of people including all the world's children (well, the ones lucky enough to be born in Christian nations, I guess) have disappeared, every city (again, I assume the non-Christian nations are OK) is in utter turmoil, and so Global Weekly Magazine is sending their best reporter to New York to cover... drum roll... a conference. Which apparently involves Jews creating a New World Order, because that's just what those kooky Hebrews do. Stay tuned...

Beer good, I was going to chastise you for reading that but your review made me laugh so all I have to say is: well done.

Wait. Where's your star rating for the book?

Fascinating thread!

Memories of old days here on the forum. Good old days!

But I can hardly recognize that Peder guy anymore. :sad:

Fascinating thread!

Memories of old days here on the forum. Good old days!

But I can hardly recognize that Peder guy anymore. :sad:

I agree wholeheartedly! I've enjoyed this trip down memory lane too. Can't wait to read BG's full review. Fair warning all: Do NOT read while sipping beverages you'd hate to clean off your keyboard or screen. Just sayin' :whistling:

Well, I'm laid up with a cold and have nothing better to do, so I'm up to chapter 9.
Have you noticed it seems to have struck the innocents? Everyone we know who's gone is either a child or a very nice person.
So insufferable brats get a free pass?

And here comes a character named Nicolae Carpathia (seriously). There have been elections in Romania, which is obviously huge news in the US in the middle of the rapture, and young Nick has won. "Blonde and blue eyed, like the original Romanians, who came from Rome [since the Romans exterminated the Dacians] before the Mongols affected their race," he's described as a "peacemaker" working towards "global disarmament", one global currency, and the metric system; also, he's able to speak almost every language and charms everyone he meets. He must be a nice guy, right? On the other hand, the UN – you know, the thing that everybody has pretty much ignored for the last 50 years - has already forced the world onto three world currencies, there's a mysterious group working behind all the world's financial markets, and Jesus rapturin' Christ, this is like every crackpot conspiracy theory cooked into one. I'm waiting for David Icke's lizard people to show up any chapter now.

...instead we get UFOs. I should have seen that coming.

Anyway, then we start getting exposition on what the Bible supposedly says on the rapture, which our hero Gayl... Rayford has absolutely no clue about, since despite having lived with a woman who quoted Bible verse at him day and night he doesn't even know that there are different books of the Bible or whether Jesus ever came back. They don't give IQ tests to airline pilots, I guess. Seriously, is this what rapturites think of everyone else – that they simply haven't heard about the basics of Christianity?

Incidentally, 20 pages later, our master journalist has completely forgotten that this Carpathia character whom he's been told about by, like, 14 people already, has been elected president. Of Romania, which we are explicitly told is a country nobody (except presumably the Romans, and have you ever heard about this Vlad Tepes fellow...) has ever cared about, but still; if he's so interested in him, you'd think that particular tidbit would have stuck. But let's check in with our pilot friend again, is he doing anything interesting or is he still just moping around the house?
Rayford was pacing, miserable. He came to the painful realization that this was the worst season of his life.
Wow, that's quite a realisation for someone whose wife and child were just taken from him in the midst of a global crisis. Like I said: IQ tests for pilots, look into it.

Also, the hilarity is wearing off the more preachy the novel gets. This isn't a narrative, it's just a jumble of improbable dialogue masquerading as clues when in fact anyone who picks up the book already knows what's happened, spoken by characters who would look extra flat and clichéd even in a Dan Brown novel, with no attempt to actually adress what's happening to anyone but the 3-4 people who make up the whole story so far, all padded with excruciating detail. I'm not kidding. Here's someone using the emergency exit on a plane:
A bit enthusiastic, he landed not on his seat but on his shoulders, which threw his feet over the top of his head. He picked up speed and hit the bottom with his weight shifting forward. The buggy-whip centripetal force slammed his stockinged feet to the ground and brought his torso up and over in a somersault that barely missed planting his face on the concrete. At the last instant, still hanging on to his bag for dear life, he tucked his head under and took the abrasion on the back of his head rather than on his nose. He fought the urge to say, “No problem,” but he couldn't keep from rubbing the back of his head, already matted with blood. It wasn't a serious problem, only a nuisance.
Meanwhile, Rayfnord's daughter has come home and they've spent a couple of pages arguing theology. And since he's convinced Jesus has reverse-bungeed his wife, he won't have any skepticism.
“Chloe, we can talk frankly to each other. You're my family. (…) And I only wish you hadn't said one thing.”
“Which?”
“That you don't even want to consider my theory. You've always liked my theories."
Well, given that he blames himself for raising her to be an independent woman who thinks for herself and therefore missed the Heaven train, I guess a little of that whining reflects back on himself. Of course, WE know he's right and she's a hellbound fool, but still.

I'm happy to report that when Rayfnord and his daughter stop by what's left of his wife's church the next day, the one remaining member – who's NOT a pastor, absolutely not, just a fellow Christian, but still expects to be paid like a pastor, which is nice - tells them to be born again and won't take no for an answer. As the proud father of an independent daugher, Ray loves this.
Rayford thought Barnes was brilliant. He had put Chloe in her place, leaving her no smart remark.
Yup. That'll show them free-thinkin' womenfolk to shut up when a Christian man's talkin'. And boy, does he ever talk. As does the real pastor, who of course has been raptured, but was kind enough to leave a tape behind for Ray to watch:
“Also, Scripture indicates that there will be a great lie, announced with the help of the media and perpetrated by a self-styled world leader. Jesus himself prophesied about such a person. He said, ‘I have come in My Father's name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.’ Let me warn you personally to beware of such a leader of humanity who may emerge from Europe."
Europe, eh? You know, I've read the Bible, and neither Europe nor the US are mentioned... (It doesn't mention Mongols polluting the pure Roman blood either, but that's probably beside the point.) So where'd you get that, hmmm?

There's like 50 pages of nothing but religious dogma at this point, but I suppose in context it makes sense; just like any Stephen King novel has to spend time explaining how to kill vampires or raise the dead, Left Behind has to explain their particular interpretation of the Bible since Bible fanfic is really all this is (if only it were as well-written as Stephen King).
Bruce then told the same story he had told Rayford and Chloe the day before, and his voice was the only sound in the place. Many wept.
Completely soundlessly, one assumes.

Anyway, while Rayfnord the pilot keeps wanting to slap his daughter for not immediately praising Jesus for taking her mother from her, our friend Buck has faked his own death – not really sure why, since everyone recognises him anyway – and is going to meet Dracul... sorry, Carpathia, who's been invited to adress the UN. (Hey, the UN secretary general is black and has a funny name. Clearly, they're the good guys.) Carpathia holds a speech which we're told is incredibly charming and wins everyone over – mostly just told, since obviously, LaHaye and Jenkins can't actually write a speech like that. This becomes embarrassingly obvious when they have his speech consist of... oh brother... listing Every. Single. Member. Country. Alphabetically, before going on to tell them when the UN was founded and how it's organised. You'd assume the UN already knew this, but no, they're completely wowed by his ability to repeat well-known facts like a 4th grader on Show and Tell, and immediately fall in love with him. You gotta wonder what they thought they were supposed to be doing before he reminded them. This is huge news everywhere, too. You can imagine the typical watercooler conversation the next day.

"Hey."
"Hey. Wife and kids still mysteriously missing?"
"Yup. How about you? Is your entire belief system still shaken to the core?"
"Yeah, but... Wow. Did you see the news yesterday? The PRESIDENT OF ROMANIA recited a bunch of countries on TV! In alphabetical order!"
"Yeah. Wow."
"Wow."
"Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?"

If this guy's the Antichrist, then clearly Wikipedia is the Antibible. Oh, and incidentally, here's his take on the concept of news broadcasts:
Carpathia smiled. “Like anyone from Europe, particularly Eastern Europe, I am amazed at your technology.”
Because, y'know, we don't have TV over here. Some sort of light box, is it?

Anyway, Carpathia continues reciting dry facts about the UN until everyone wants to sleep with him – that's not hyperbole by the way, he officially takes over the title as Sexiest Man Alive for being able to name the first secretary general and his inauguration date, which I suppose says something about the sexual fantasies of American women – and proposes signing all the world's weapons over to the UN. And then there's some completely unrelated anti-abortion stuff and Hattie The Stewardess – did I mention her? She's Rayfnord's and Buck's love interest, a Modern Woman, who like Rayfnord's daughter refuses to be patronised by a man but unfortunately is completely clueless and needs a man to look after her - gets to be dim and needy again, which is basically her entire character apart from being beautiful, and chapter 15 putters to a close.

Five chapters to go and things are heating up. Well, in the sense that the book still repeats itself and has characters telling each other facts they already knew (and being just as surprised by them every time) but still.

Buck had no idea how Carpathia knew he was in trouble.
You'd think Buck's widely reported death, multiple assumed identities and disguises, and the cops being after him and arresting anyone who even looks like him would be a dead give-away. But of course Buck (BUCK) is only the world's greatest reporter, so we can't expect him to be TOO bright. But at least he gets a one-on-one with Carp... Dracula.
I was a better-than-average businessman in Romania while still in secondary school. I studied at night, many languages, the ones I needed to succeed. During the day I ran my own import-and-export businesses and made myself wealthy.
This would have been under Ceacescu, then? The last Stalinist regime in Europe? Yeeeeeeah, don't think so.

Oh, and the US president – who, obviously, isn't busy doing anything else a few days after a large portion of his population disappeared off the face of the earth – loves Dracula too.
“Let me just say this: I don't believe I've ever heard anybody, inside or outside the U.N., show such a total grasp of the history and organization and direction of the place. He's done his homework, and he has a plan."
I know I said this in my last post, but seriously, guys: SUMMING UP WELL-KNOWN FACTS ABOUT THE UN DOES NOT MAKE HIM COME ACROSS AS BRILLIANT. Simply knowing the most basic facts about an organisation doesn't a) equal having a "total grasp of the history and organization and direction of the place", and even if it did, it wouldn't b) make you any more impressive and suited for leadership than an average school kid doing a decent book report. "Homework" is right. Man, Jenkins and LeHaye must have had lousy grades in school if they think this is what politicians do - just sum up (erroneous) facts about each other.

"In sports news, Major League Baseball teams in spring training face the daunting task of replacing the dozens of players lost in the cosmic disappearances."
Which, funnily enough, is about the first glimpse we get of the rapture actually inconveniencing the world beyond the odd traffic jam. All the world's children are gone, humanity is doomed, and this is the problem?

On the other hand, we finally meet a couple of Jews who are not involved in a conspiracy to install the Antichrist and take over the world's financial markets. They've converted to Christianity. Wooops.

Also, some more people tell us that the Antichrist will come as a peacemaker (and here I thought someone said they were a-blessed) and a smooth talker, only to seconds later explain that Dracula can't be the Antichrist because he promises peace and is such a smooth talker. And whoopsy-daisy, suddenly he's set to become Secretary General of the UN (since LeHaye and Jenkins think that post is always held by a head of state) without ever having done ANYTHING except prove himself one heck of a Trivial Pursuit player and possibly rig the Sexiest Man Alive competition. If it were this easy to take over the world, why didn't anyone think of it before? And he's going to move the UN to Babylon (which his banker friends have rebuilt after 2000 years), take over all the world's weapons, abolish national sovereignty, and establish one world religion by law. You know, little stuff like that. Which everyone thinks is perfectly sensible, because none of them have ever heard of the Bible, the heathen fools. But they'll be sorry, oh yes.

Oh, and then we meet Buck's boss. He's an absolute hoot.
You forget I was in charge of the African bureau when Botswana became an associate member of the European Common Market.
WHAT... Where... how... OK, Botswana is down here, right? And Europe is... way... over... WHAT
Miller was doing a story on the meaning behind the disappearances, which I know you were planning for an issue or two from now.
Ah, yes, the 2 billion people who have disappeared. We may need to do some actual reporting on that in a couple of weeks, unless something more important turns up again - like the prime minister of Madagascar giving a speech at the Rotary club in Vancouver, or something.

And then comes one of the most cringingly funny bits in the book where Buck meets Chloe and they fall in luuurv in 10 seconds and dance along the boardwalk feeding cookies to each other in the midst of the apocalypse, while Hattie is in love with Dracula and Rayfnord is in love with Jesus and both can't wait to tell each other about their new boyfriends. Fortunately Ray is good at guilting women into shutting up and listening, so it works out alright and she cries a bit.

Five chapters to go. I'm at the edge of my seat here; who'll turn out to be the Antichrist, I wonder? And what will his agenda be? And if he's the Antichrist, why wouldn't he... y'know, read the Bible and then not do exactly what it says? You'd think he wanted to lose.

We continue to stay with Rayfnord, Chloe and Buck (Hattie pretty much disappears, but that's OK since she's just a very silly woman who's hellbound anyway). Buck has already fallen in love with Chloe and decides to stalk her, and that's before he realises how awesome her dad is.
He realized he had seen a lot of Rayford in Chloe.
*cough*
Buck had always prided himself on standing apart from the pack, for including the human, the everyday, the everyman element in his stories when others resisted such vulnerability. This skill allowed readers to identify with him, to taste and feel and smell those things most important to them.
The above quote may be the most ironic of the entire story. But anyway, then Buck has an epiphany. Which is to say, he remembers what happened to him a year earlier when he saw God wipe out the Russian air force. This has previously been described as making him believe in God, but obviously it didn't really, because now all of a sudden he starts doing it all over again.
It already seemed as if he were living in a science fiction thriller.
Except those are generally recognised by being thrilling. Instead, we have ten pages of Rayfnord and Buck lying on their backs (in separate rooms, get your mind out of the gutter) thinking about whether they are good Christians. Obviously, the answer they find is "yes." Despite Buck's rampant drug habit.
Buck gestured to get the attendant's attention. “Coke, please,” he whispered. The temporary caffeine rush would allow him to stay awake a little longer.
Oh, and Chloe realises how foolish she has been to strive to be – gasp – "independent" and "intellectual", prays to God to forgive her for these sins, and gives herself to God and Buck (in roughly that order). And Buck, having been promoted, stops by the Chicago office of the magazine to appoint a new editor (the old one got raptured).
News of his becoming their boss had swept the place and he was greeted with coolness by Lucinda Washington's former assistant, a young woman in sensible shoes. She told him in no uncertain terms, “Plank did nothing about replacing Lucinda, so I assumed I would move into her slot.”
Her attitude and presumption alone made Buck say, “That's unlikely, but you'll be the first to know."
Ooooo. A woman in sensible shoes, and with attitude. Clearly, she can't be trusted. Put her in her place, Buck!

Meanwhile, Dracula is installed as UN Secretary General AKA World Dictator, since we all know the UN is that powerful, and everyone gladly accepts his terms of one world government, one world religion, one world language, and handing over all their weapons, ending milennia of hostility with no debate at all. Let me repeat that. Actually, I don't think I can. And our heroes, who are already organising themselves into a True Christian Terrorist Cell to withstand the coming years of persecution at the hands of the Antichrist who they're convinced is right now plotting to establish one world government, abolish True Christianity, and get everyone to hand over their weapons, finally start to suspect something. In between flirting wildly.
“I don't mean to be morbid, Mr. Williams [says the Pastor who's not a Pastor but wants to be paid like one] but I have no family responsibilities anymore. I have a core group meeting tomorrow and church Sunday. You're welcome to attend. But I have enough energy to go to midnight if you do.”
"I'm all yours."
..."Take me." Geez, no wonder these guys have no use for women.

Two chapters to go. I wonder what's going to happen next.

Two chapters to go. I wonder what's going to happen next.

Not much, as it turns out. I know there's like 42 sequels to this, but still, couldn't they have set up some kind of excitement at the end, some tiny little hook to make us want to know what happens next?

Well, first of all we get yet another discussion on the racial make-up of the Antichrist, since this is very important. Obviously he has to be European, duh, Americans being God's chosen and all and everyone else being really dirty foreigners, but evidently Romanians in general are too dark. Seriously, the Antichrist can't be brunette. But as we already know, except they discover it now for like the third time, Carpathia is of Roman stock (oh brother) so he fits the bill since all Italians are blond and blue-eyed. So Buck heads to the UN, which he (naturally) feels is almost mind-numbingly evil. Unfortunately, poor stupid Hattie is there too, having been drawn in by the alleged charisma of the Antichrist like the silly woman she is.

And so the Antichrist holds court and appoints his minions to rule the world.
“Mr. Todd-Cothran,” he said, “you shall be introduced as the ambassador of the Great States of Britain, which now include much of Western and Eastern Europe."
Note, if you can get past the incredibly stilted and exposition-filled dialogue, that this is something like 24 hours after he was appointed. Remember all those wars fought over every square inch of the world for the last 50,000 years or so? Evidently, all it took was one single speech to make us forget it. The world has been divided in ten countries, all run from the UN headquarters by a guy nobody had heard of a week ago, and nobody minds. Riiiiiiiiight. Then the Antichrist makes out with Buck (seriously, I'm not joking, this book has more homoeroticism than a Poppy Z Brite novel ferchrissakes) and then just to prove he's evil, in case anyone missed this, the alleged peacemaker kills his two mecenates in front of everyone (having first made a very dull speech about it, of course) in order to scare them all into not messing with him. Then he changes his mind and makes them forget it, making it a completely pointless scene. Except that it somehow leads to Buck being fired from the cushy editor's job he's held for the last 50 pages or so and has to go back to being a regular journalist.

Let me repeat that. The climax of a story involving 2 billion disappearances, the Antichrist taking power, and the goddamn APOCALYPSE starting, is a reporter getting demoted. A reporter, I should add, who absolutely sucks at his job since he never actually, y'know, reports anything.

Because then the book's over. Just like that. OK, the TRIBULATION FORCE (ie a deadbeat self-appointed pastor, a girl who's been badgered into giving up thinking for herself, her emotionally abusive dad and the World's Worst Reporter™), upon whom now the entire world's fate hangs (since evidently they're going to fight against the apocalypse despite it being God's will) get to do a really lame power walk first.

And Jesus never even made a cameo appearance. I'm disappointed.

Full review to follow.

I ain't saying nuttin.
But IMO it would have been better to start with the last volume, BeerGood. Then you could have gotten all that in just one volume and not had to read anything more. I assume you are now goiing to read all the books in the series? :confused:

Why on earth would I do that when I already know how it's going to end, roughly 61 sequels down the line?

Well, you might be completely unable to imagine how far the book falls short of it's promise, even with the Book of Revelations right there in front of the authors to crib from. God wrote it better. ;)

God wrote it better. ;)

I thought some bloke called John wrote Revelation? Surely you're not suggesting that Blind Willie Johnson lied to me? :confused:

Anyway.

Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, Left Behind

Oscar Wilde said:
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

One fine day, just as the world is spinning on its sinning axis, a bunch of people disappear. Rather a lot, really. We're never given an exact number, but assuming it involves all the world's children, not just the blonde and blue-eyed True Christian children, that'd give you a figure of about 1.5-2 billion people. Now, our few remaining heroes must deal with the fallout of the most horrible disaster ever to strike humankind... that is, traffic jams, cliched newspaper editors, and the president of Romania giving endless boring speeches.

And no, it's not a comedy. At least its authors don't intend it to be one.

Now, there's a lot of things you can criticise Left Behind for without having to reach. You can call it preachy, long-winded and patronizing. You can say it has a vindictive "told ya!" streak as wide as the Red Sea. You can point out that it's about as biblically correct as Dan Brown, and twice as hung up on ridiculous conspiracy theories. You can say that it's blatantly reactionary, misogynist, xenophobic and anti-semitic. You can even, as some have done, claim that it's dangerous.

Or you can go the Oscar Wilde route and point out that Left Behind is simply a Very Badly Written book. A book so badly written that it actually works better as a parody of religious zealotry and close-minded nationalism, to the point where you might even find yourself cheering for the bad guys simply because the good guys are so utterly dim and unlikable, if not for the fact that LaHaye and Jenkins don't even manage to make the Antichrist an interesting villain - even though their entire plot hinges on his charisma.

See, Left Behind really wants to be a thriller. A rather horriffic thriller at that, a "scare 'em straight" kind of novel that hammers home the awful fate awaiting those who reject (the authors' brand of) Christianity when the end times hit. And it's not a bad idea, story-wise. God starting the apocalypse, 2 billion people disappearing, the big fight between good and evil... there should be a movie. But they forgot to bring horror and thrills to the party; instead, what they got was a boring, incoherent, poorly written mess, broken up by comedy when it falls apart into unintentional slapstick and parody, before sputtering out as if they ran out of paper in the middle of the story.

The trick to selling a supernatural (or otherwise non-realistic) premise is to make it plausible, make it relatable, and Left Behind has no idea how to do that since it feels absolutely nothing like the real world. The writers seem hilariously unaware of how anything works, unable to imagine how anyone who is not them would think about anything; it's like the "Kids say the darnedest things" of thrillers.
Daylight revealed the carnage and exposed Russia's secret alliance with Middle Eastern nations, primarily Ethiopia and Libya.
The main characters are obvious self-inserts, which makes it all the more disturbing that they are, for the most part, belligerent, self-serving, and incompetent. The secondary characters are all portrayed as either utter idiots or evil conspirators, since that's the only way they can ever hope to make the absurd plot work. The Antichrist being put in charge of the entire world because he's able to recite all the member nations of the UN (in alphabetical order in nine languages!) is just one of many examples where they seem to still be stuck in 3rd grade, where the definition of "smart" is "ability to parrot what others already know" - even though they get it wrong half the time. The writers don't understand their own concepts and so they just fib, which not only makes their characters look like morons, but makes me pretty sure the authors think I am one, too.
"Dr. Rosenzweig believes that some confluence of electromagnetism in the atmosphere, combined with as yet unknown or unexplained atomic ionization from the nuclear power and weaponry throughout the world, could have been ignited or triggered -- perhaps by a natural cause like lightning, or even by an intelligent life-form that discovered this possibility before we did -- and caused this instant action throughout the world. At this point they are postulating that certain people's levels of electricity made them more likely to be affected. That would account for all the children and babies and even fetal material that vanished. Their electromagnetism was not developed to the point where it could resist whatever happened."
Their... what?!? That's intended to be a believable explanation, btw. Yes, this is fiction and I'd be glad to give them a pass on factual errors if the characters and the plot held up. But it really really doesn't. It's incredibly clumsily written, breezing past what should be important events in a few sentences to get to the next overlong Bible summary, full of malplaced exposition that gets repeated so often you'd think they would notice how frequently they contradict themselves. Most of the novel focuses on characters trying to find out what happened, who's behind it, and what's going to happen next. But since the reader already knows exactly what's happened, we get a plot that's boring as hell and the only thing that keeps me turning the pages is to see what wacky concept the authors will try to sell me on next.

But above all, its failure is in completely missing its own point. The title is Left Behind; you'd think it would focus on the experience of being, well, left behind in the most horriffic disaster ever. The shock, the questions, the panic, the grief. Remember 9/11, or the Indian Ocean tsunami, or any major assassination or other huge disaster you may have been witness to in first or second hand? Remember the hushed shock afterwards? Remember the way every conversation would start with "Where were you when..."? Remember the outrage, the official mourning, the way it took weeks or even years to get back to something resembling normality?

Now imagine that multiplied by a few thousand times.

We never once get any sort of feeling for how the world at large – or even the US, which is really all the authors care about – is affected by this; at the most, billions of people disappearing and tens of thousands dying as a result is described as a logistical problem – it clogs up the roads, it makes landing aircraft difficult, you have to walk across Manhattan (which takes hours, apparently). You wanna do a horror novel about an apocalypse? The Last Man, War of the Worlds, The Stand, World War Z, On The Beach... I'm not saying they don't have their flaws, some more than others, but what they have in common is that they all give you some sort of angle on losing billions of people, bring you into the story, make you feel what it would be like, the pure shock it would be to humanity on both a personal and a societal level. What does Left Behind have? Clogged airport terminals. A couple of days later, the biggest news on the planet is that the president of Romania is speaking in the UN, which wouldn't be news ANYWHERE even in the middle of a severe news drought. All the world's children disappear, and nobody even raises an eyebrow except to weep a bit over their own kid before going on with their lives as if nothing happened.
In sports news, Major League Baseball teams in spring training face the daunting task of replacing the dozens of players lost in the cosmic disappearances.
Ultimately, LaHaye and Jenkins have neither the ability nor the interest to write about actual human beings living through trying times, what they are prepared to do to do the right thing under difficult circumstances, or what it means to be good or evil. They have a script that they cobbled together from a 2,000-year-old teacher's edition that everyone has already read, and rather than try to think up a plausible way of how it would play out in our times and what it would mean to people, they just do what many other bad fanfiction authors do and stick to the script no matter how badly it fits. Everything else be damned. Literally.

ai22.photobucket.com_albums_b339_beergood_stars0.gif

Back