• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lending books... and getting them back

Kookamoor

I was just looking through the 'Do you buy, borrow or take out from the library?' thread and noticed that someone mentioned people not returning books.

Do any of you bibliophiles have this problem? I imagine some of your collections challenge that of the local library and they can be hard to keep track of ;) .

Does anyone else use bookplates?

I write my name in my books as opposed to using bookplates. And yeah, sometimes I loan books to people and don't get them back, so unless I know I'll get the book back, I'll only loan books I won't miss if I don't get them back.

Hmmm, only with one person I know - I have several books, and one CD that I haven't got back in over a year. :rolleyes: Now, I only really lend to one or two people, and I've always gotten my books back from them. ;)

Lending books out and not getting them returned is something that happens a lot with me! I tend not to lend my books out now days.

I never lend my books out - well, to my girlfriend, perhaps, but we live together, so I can keep tabs on the books.

Cheers

my family and some of my friends worked themselves through my collection, and i guess at least one forth i will never see again!! later i search for this book and i know i had it, but can't find it, so i buy it new!! :D sometimes i have the same book in different languages, so if one of them get's lost, it's a pity, but i won't die from it!! :D

I have only one person that I exchange books with. We share books that we've enjoyed with each other and, because we're both giving out books, we figure we'll receive them back (if I don't I guess I could keep their book hostage until I receive my own back!)

Talk about lending books and not getting them back!
That always happens with me. More with my music CDs than books.
I hate it when somebody conveniently forgets to return my CD. Even after reminding and re-reminding, they dont return!
So no more lending CDs or books to anyone! :mad:

I think this is related...

How long is appropriate for someone to have your book on loan before you start doing the reminding?

Far too often, I talk about a book and am asked to lend my copy. But two weeks turns into a month and a month turns into 10 weeks. Some of the books I've lent out shouldn't take that long to read.

(This is definitely a pet peev for me - I have 3 books out on loan right now and only one person has made any comment about the one she has. It's too bad my friends and coworkers know I'm a book-addict.)

I may be considered a small library by my friends. I currently have 4 books and a manga on lend, with another going to a friend tomorrow. I keep note of whos got what and make sure that my books are returned to me in the same condition they were loaned out in. In return my friends lend me some of their books on the same grounds, I think it works pretty well. :)

Sometimes my friends will borrow books from me. For example, I let a friend borrow the fifth Harry Potter book from me and he took a month to get it back to me. After 2 weeks, I started asking him about my book. So, I guess, two weeks.

If a book leaves my house its because it was a gift and I rarely give away books. Never lend--especially your favorites. Its not worth a friend.

I had a very bad book-lending experience when I lent a very sick friend two of my favorite books - The Shipping News and Tony Hawks' Round Ireland with a Fridge. She was hospitalised and bored and I thought they would give her something to do. Unfortunately, she took a turn for the worst later on and went into a coma for a fortnight. She did get better, but ended up leaving the province without much warning to go back to her parents to recuperate. Somewhere in all of that were my two books!

The sadder thing was that I never got a chance to say goodbye to her and wish her well (I ended up leaving Canada for Australia for what I thought would be the last time). Anyway, she's made a full recovery and I see her a few times a week. It seems selfish to bring up my missing books now. Perhaps they were thought to be a gift, or maybe they were lost in the hospital... *sigh*. Ah well, it's a lesson to learn from!

Kookamoor said:
Ah well, it's a lesson to learn from!

yeah it's bad specially if they were some of your favorites, but just see it as something she enjoyed and you could make her time in the hospital a little better!! :)

honeydevil said:
yeah it's bad specially if they were some of your favorites, but just see it as something she enjoyed and you could make her time in the hospital a little better!! :)

That's a really nice way to look at it! :)

I never, and I mean never, lend books to anyone. I also never borrow books. If someone wants a book that bad, I'll give them a copy rather than lending it.

funes said:
I never, and I mean never, lend books to anyone. I also never borrow books. If someone wants a book that bad, I'll give them a copy rather than lending it.
This doesnt always work out. First of all, one wouldnt want to buy all the books that one wants to read. You might want to try out some book to see how it is just because someone recommended it to you. You might not want to buy it, but borrow it from the person who recommended it.
Secondly, there could be some person who you cant say NO to. He/she asks you for a book and he/she knows that you have it. You might not be able to refuse!
I am not saying that your logic doesnt work for you. I am just venting out my frustration that it doesnt work for me :( Everytime I decide I am NOT going to lend out books, there is one person or the other who wants some book that I have. I try to be goody-goody and give out that book and it never comes back :mad:

It also works both ways though. The people I lend to, are also the people that I borrow books from. When I lend someone a book, I don't remind them about it later - usually because I'm also hanging onto a book of theirs. :p As long as I get it back within 6 months, I don't get concerned. :)

Everytime I borrow my neighbour any of my books, she doesn't return them in the same condition, and I'm really picky about this stuff.
Anyways I try comforting myself with thinking she's the only one who "murder" my books, my other friend's take great care of them, as though they were little babies. :D

I lend, borrow books and trade books. I've only loaned out one book that I'll never see again, no big deal.

Whatever it takes to keep my reading pile fresh.

Back