• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Let's see your work area

I have my Master's and am working towards my licenses so that eventually I can open my own private practice. There are a lot of places that you don't need your Master's (actually my facility you don't).
I absolutely love it! Seriously it is just what I always wanted to do and really love it.

I say bravo! So few people can say that, especially these days. Many just float around, hoping the right thing comes along, and it rarely does. You have to go get it.

My hat is off to you, ma’am. That’s one hell of a cool deal. :)

Thanks I appreciate that. I have to say that once I got my Master's/this job I hated all my jobs. It was just not what I was meant to do :) I knew that I should be a counselor for so long and finally being able to do it was wonderful. :)

Hehe, don’t mind at all! I’m a full-time freelance writer and author. I’m constantly writing articles and that’s how the money comes in, and I’m also constantly writing short stories. I’m not on the bestseller list yet, but I enter a heck of a lot of contests :D. Each short seems to be better than the last, and my writing is getting stronger. I’ve been published with a couple small presses so far, with Glimmer Train and Weird Tales being the ultimate goals.

I quit my pattern of menial, dead-end jobs in ’08 and have never looked back. Words and sentences are what make me happy, not customer service or warehouse work. :D

Oh, I am jealous. I always wanted to be a writer. I thought I had such insight that I should share it :lol: I learned that isn't necessarily so though. I do know I have insight, but it is better used as a counselor :) That is great that you found your "perfect job."

Thank you!

Hey, you never know. Maybe, after a few years of working with those wonderful people, you’ll have a story just itching to get out. You can write for an hour in the evenings and before you know it, you have a novel on your hands.

A story isn’t a story unless someone tells it. :)

Maybe. I was thinking back how I have been there for a few years now and there is so much I have learned. I just wonder how much more I will learn after a few more years :) You never know-I may come up with something great ha ha

I love your quote :)

Aww, thanks!

The thing that very few people realize about a story is that it doesn’t have to be great. If the story takes us on an emotional journey along with people we can believe in, the story is great in and of itself. No more is needed. Therefore, if it’s great to you, it’ll be great to others. :)

I’m really enjoying the people on this forum. The circumstances which brought me here are odd, admittedly, but I’m one of those ‘everything happens for a reason’ type guys. I almost never question things; I just go with the flow and try not to let the waves take me under. :D

One of my professors in undergrad told me that a story needs dialogue and to tell a truth. His assignments were always less than a page long. I still have my favorite one that I wrote. I kind of wish I could write like that again. I suppose if I find some subject from work that may help me then I would be all set with the creative juices flowing :)
I enjoy the people too. What were the circumstances that brought you to this forum?
I am the same with the belief that everything happens for a reason. I certainly like to go with the flow because it seems more exciting than what I may determine to do :lol:

Yup, the ‘truth’ thing is often said, and the fact that it’s open to such interpretation is what I love about it. I’m also a chess enthusiast, big time, and one of my favorite masters said he always strived to reach the ‘truth’ of the position. That is, what does it mean, at its core, and what is the best way to proceed?

With stories, I think that emotion is truth. I think that when humans do literally unbelievable things, it steals from the truth a little. However, just saying someone is sad or happy because of a certain thing isn’t emotion; that’s just telling the reader something. Showing the emotion effectively, conveying life as it really happens – ah, now that’s the ‘truth’ as I see it. I often chuckle at the fact that the hardest thing about writing fiction is making it real.

Anyhow, don’t allow me to ramble. I’m good at it.

A certain member *cough-aquablue/Pontiac/Carlos/Author-cough* is why I’m over here. Long story. :D

I’m glad I’m here, though. There is little more I enjoy than swapping stories and/or chit-chatting with people of intelligence, like yourself. The Internet trolls and morons get to be overbearing and a little much, sometimes. :)

I think it is a matter of being able to define the emotion so that the reader understands and can feel it just as the character is. I agree with you about the truth. I always tell my clients that they need to process their emotions and how each situation/circumstance has affected their lives.
Oh gosh, don't get me rambling because I will be one to keep going :lol:
I would love to hear the long story sometime...I am always curious about others interactions. If you wish you can send me the story via private messaging. That is if you wish to share :)

I also like to chit chat and meet new people. There are always the trolls and morons, but I have a great ability to ignore them.

Will do! I love sharing, and I think that human relations are the core of just about everything that matters to humans. Someone can have all the cash in the world but if he's unhappy with his wife or friends or is under some other type of human pressure, he won't be happy. We have to come first; everything else is a by-product of how we treat ourselves and others. I guess that sounds weird. Maybe.

I’d also like to hear more about your profession. Having a master’s in the psych field is no joke to me; in fact, it’s uber-cool. I have a dime-store master’s in psych, and I’m proud of it. That’s another long story, but the short version is that I would frequently screw around and dip into stores at my last job, the main one being the used bookstore. I had gotten it into my head that I would be a psychologist and help people, so I began buying used psych books and reading the hell out of them.

I read these things cover-to-cover and would go get more. To be honest, there is no other field nearly as fascinating to me as studying the human mind. I fully believe that if more people took a few psych classes or read a few books they would be able to solve many, many more of the problems in their lives. Almost all of our problems stem from us, initially, and our gut reaction is to become angry and blame others.

Once we move past that, it’s like existing in another realm. Sure, other people do things that bother us or hurt us, and we cannot control them, but we can control our reactions to them, and that’s a huge part of the key to human success to me.

ANY-how, /ramble. Damn, ya got me doing it again. :D

I AM SO jealous of the above conversation...held back from the masters because of 3rd grade math ability and writing as a career, unfortunately the taxes still need to be paid. Graduated with honors in English and...work in a big box hardware store, ready to begin in a big box liquor store as well to make full time hours. Can sell to the dunderhead builders, then the ladies who wine, then imbibe into stupidity on my own...don't know if it's better in the UK but here in the states the job situation is pitiful.

So what happened to all the desk pictures? My inner stalker is feeling a little disappointed.

Before you ask, I don't actually have a desk, unless you count my work one.

I admire all the pictured work areas above, and I laugh -- laugh, I tell you! -- at what y'all consider cluttered. ROTFL.
What is this drive toward neatness, except that it looks very pretty? And admirable.

Back