• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lewis Grizzard

SFG75

Heard of this guy before, but never read him until this past week. I picked up an older book by him titled- Don't Bend Over in The Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes. :eek: The theme of the book is sex and everything that encompasses it as you age. The man is downright hilarious in recounting certain events and celebrities. He does have an impressive official website where you can find his speaking arrangements, as well as recent columns.

Any other Grizzard fans or readers out there?:cool:

I have a couple of his books waiting to be read. Just his titles make me laugh:
Chili Dawgs Always Bark at Night, for one.
However I refuse to go to hear him speak; no amount of money could induce me to do that.."He's Dead Jim!"

abecedarian said:
I have a couple of his books waiting to be read. Just his titles make me laugh:
Chili Dawgs Always Bark at Night, for one.
However I refuse to go to hear him speak; no amount of money could induce me to do that.."He's Dead Jim!"

I can't ever say that I've heard his voice. He reminds me a lot of Dave Barry in regards to his style of humor and how well he writes. I just finished the book mentioned in my previous post-I will definitely read others that he's written should I run across them again. These guys are an absolute riot. Are you a Dave Barry fan?:D

SFG75 said:
I can't ever say that I've heard his voice. He reminds me a lot of Dave Barry in regards to his style of humor and how well he writes. I just finished the book mentioned in my previous post-I will definitely read others that he's written should I run across them again. These guys are an absolute riot. Are you a Dave Barry fan?:D

I don't know about his speaking voice..what I'm trying to say is he won't be having anymore speaking engagements due to his death a few years ago.
I am a Dave Barry fan, specially after reading Peter and the Starcatchers. That book would make a wonderful read aloud. Lots of action and the chapters are short.

I don't know about his speaking voice..what I'm trying to say is he won't be having anymore speaking engagements due to his death a few years ago.

Oh my, I didn't know that.:eek: That's too bad, I really enjoyed the book of his that I have. There is just some quarky side, a dry humor that gets you laughing when you least expect it, he was quite talented.

I am a Dave Barry fan, specially after reading Peter and the Starcatchers. That book would make a wonderful read aloud. Lots of action and the chapters are short.

He has a great book modeled after a high school civics textbook( Dave Barry slept here) where he ruthlessly slaughters the facts and dates. If you haven't read, I suggest going out and getting it or inter-library loaning it-a great read.:)

RitalinKid said:
off topic, I'm from his home state, and people love him here.

I would imagine so, very humorous guy and someone who was an all-around good person.

I didn't read the site closely, I guess the widow and manager have hired someone to do shows based on Grizzard's mannerisms.

Now his widow Dedra Grizzard, and his friend and manager Steve Enoch have created a loving tribute; a touring re-creation of Lewis' wildly-popular stage shows. They have personally selected material for the tribute performance from both the classic stories his fans loved, and new readings from his columns and books. Some of this material has never been performed live. This is the show that Lewis was planning to take on the road in 1994, had he survived his last surgery.

Bill Oberst, Jr., an actor from South Carolina, captures Lewis' look and his mannerisms faithfully, in the great tradition of Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain or James Whitmore as Will Rogers. The performance is available in lengths of 45 minutes and 1 1/2 hours. There was only ONE Lewis Grizzard, but this authorized tribute to his memory is as close as we will come to seeing and enjoying him onstage again.

It would be interesting to go to one of these shows. :)

grew up in Atlanta reading his columns in the local papers and reading his books. He was a hilarious southern man.

Back