• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Libraries

lindaj07 said:
Can't you ask your library to order books for you? I did that here recently and was surprised how keen they were to order. Having said that, it was a few weeks ago now and I'm still waiting for the book! I agree that it's pretty disgusting to try to read a book with somebody else's dinner on it but I usually show it to the staff and the book is put under the counter (probably taken right back out again but still...) I'm sure that library stocking depends on the local budget but if we stop using libraries... well, we lose them, as they say. I also like the idea of only buying special books. 2 - 3 books a week would bankrupt me too :D but without the use of my library, I think I would probably be up around there too.

No its a pretty crappy library. Plus I like buying books and collecting them over the years. The reason im not bankrupt is because im just turning fifteen and dont have to worry about paying the bills yet. I know in a couple of years im going to have to cut back on the books I buy.

Ahah! That explains it...
Lucky you! :p

cheese777 said:
No its a pretty crappy library. Plus I like buying books and collecting them over the years. The reason im not bankrupt is because im just turning fifteen and dont have to worry about paying the bills yet. I know in a couple of years im going to have to cut back on the books I buy.

cheese777 said:
You are pretty lucky! I turned 17 this year and I have to pay for my own books.

MonkeyCatcher said:
You are pretty lucky! I turned 17 this year and I have to pay for my own books.

I pay for my own books. I have quite a bit of money from doing lots of gardening and babysitting for other families, and anyways I dont buy anything else other than books really.

cheese777 said:
I pay for my own books. I have quite a bit of money from doing lots of gardening and babysitting for other families, and anyways I dont buy anything else other than books really.
Ah, right. I try to save most of my money. Note the /try/ :D

i borrow books. well, i started to again. the public library is a good 30 min drive one way, but its new and nice and well stocked in my opinion. my school library's already. i was surprised actually on friday b/c i did find a lot of good books. i just dont take full advantage of it since i have to miss lunch to go there.

i buy books whenever i can't find a copy in the library, or i just loved the book so much first time around that i want to own it. i've bought books on sales as well too.. or books that i eventually want to read and i know that it'll take more more than a week to read

in middle school my librarian considered me her "best customer". i went there basically daily and usually took out books a few times a week. i had nothing better to do back then so i just read most of the time. back then i was really into "realistic fiction" and i could read that in a day or two.

mehastings said:
I don't go to the library because I am too irresponsible to return books on time. Plus, I usually sleep all day, so I have trouble getting there when they are open. I have been in my library once though and I thought the people were very nice. They showed me a funny comic about late fees (because I have like $5.00 pending.

haha thats a problem for me. i was surprised and glad to discover that my library allows me to still take out books while i have an overdue book out. i guess i was just used to small libraries or schoo libraries having that rule.

I love libraries! I, um, kinda live in my school library - well, as much as possible, anyway! Our local library allows minors to reserve books free of charge, so I'm always putting requests in for books! They used to limit the number of items you could borrow, but they don't anymore. I think libraries are great. I know a lot of the librarians at my local branch, because I did work experience. It makes the place seem a lot friendlier - knowing the people that work there. I'm also a member of the library system near where I got to school.
As much as I love owning books, I don't have the money or the space to buy everything I own - and a lot of them I don't think are worth owning anyway. Reading, yes, owning - no. And the library is only expensive if you are late with your books...

I do not use libraries anymore for a few reasons

a) i'm hopeless with returning and owe about 300 euro in fees over 4 libraries
b) I just prefer to have a fresh edition of the book to read

However i do think i need to rejoin the library world and have it as a back up/compliment to my general reading habits

Ms. said:
I do not use libraries anymore for a few reasons

a) i'm hopeless with returning and owe about 300 euro in fees over 4 libraries
b) I just prefer to have a fresh edition of the book to read

However i do think i need to rejoin the library world and have it as a back up/compliment to my general reading habits

Why don't you just nick the books you want?

In all the Wichita branches, they have scanners to detect if someone's trying to escape without checking out their stuff. Sometimes the beeper goes off even if the patron has been faithfull to checkout. If the librarian accidently misses an item when they use their machine, the stupid beeper goes off. It will even go off if you're returning videos or audios from a different branch.

What I want if I were in charge of the world is for some smart person to add a sensor or button to push on a patron's library card, that will detect the presence of library books in said patron's home. The noise emmitted should be shrill and loud, like a baby's cry. It should only go off when the patron locates the lost book and taps it with the library card. We can put men in space, but we can do something to make it easier to locate a library book?? What's wrong with that picture?

my librarys fairly new; they have those beeper things too.. the type that they have in clothes stores. my school library has them as well

I'm starting to really depend on the library right now. I'm so hard up for cash that buying books is impossible for me. Occassionally I'll sneak online with my sisters credit card and order the ones I desperatly want, but I can't do it often.

The Library is a great place, cause I find that I don't really read over my old books anyway, they just sit on the shelves collecting dust. I don't have the courage to throw them out or give them away and I only used to buy more (When I was working) so my room got crowded quickly. The Library has been the best thing to ever happen to me. Although I could do without the high school kids who come in to shout and horse play around and bother the other patrons. The librarians there hardly do anything about it. It makes me so mad.

I went to a library conference last week, with lots of interesting discussions on if and how the role of libraries might change over the next few years. I thought this lecture by Prof. R. David Lankes from Syracuse University was too good to not share with others - gets right back to the question of why we have (and need) libraries in the first place, and how that's a far more useful starting point than getting bogged down in paper vs digital. Plus, Lankes is a very good speaker.

Grand Challenges of Librarianship. R David Lankes on Vimeo
The mission of librarians is to improve society through facilitating knowledge creation in their communities.

Back