• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Libraries

Oh baby..library sales!! I love those too! Very cheap. :p

And your right about requesting the book, I have done that a couple of times in my hometown library. Great service.
I'm just the kind of person that wants it now. :cool: Gotta work on the patience thing.

I almost only borrow from the library. I don't get much satisfaction of owning a lot books. It's mostly just books that I've read and want to read again that I purchase.

The online database here makes things quite simple as you can check at which libraries the books are available. I don't remember how it was before the coming of computers but I guess that you may have had to go through several libraries to find your books and that would probably have been an extreme hassle if the book wasn't very common.

cajunmama said:
Try requesting a book from the front desk, they can most likely get it for you from another library, and they should not charge you for the service, either
--they have that kind of service here in Ohio,so eventhough the town library here is quite small,but you can get all the book that you want,just be patient, free of charge,as long as you are not late for returningt it,and btw,you can have the books for two weeks, and you can also reserve/request a book online and then they will let you know if it is ready for pick-up.

«FickleMinded» said:
--they have that kind of service here in Ohio,so eventhough the town library here is quite small,but you can get all the book that you want,just be patient, free of charge,as long as you are not late for returningt it,and btw,you can have the books for two weeks, and you can also reserve/request a book online and then they will let you know if it is ready for pick-up.
Only two weeks? We get them for four. New releases are restricted, though, to only two weeks, and no inter-library loan. I request books all the time from my small town library. I've had one come all the way from Kentucky and one from Florida.

I love libraries. Even though I buy lots of my books, I almost exclusively buy them used for super cheap, so the library is a great place to check out new authors or books. Also, I love the book sales. Only 25 cents for a book, and they usually have a great selection.

I'm convicted to libraries. Every time I step into a bookstore, I notice many books, which I can't buy. Not enough money!

I can't imagine supporting my family's book habits without my local library. We homeschool and use lots of real books instead of textbooks, so I am very grateful for the library. We buy lots of books too. But interlibrary loan via computer has been an absolute Godsend. My dh and I love to prowl coffee-scented bookstores with my notebook and pen in hand. We take notes of titles we're interested in and then go home and I check the library site to see if we can order them. We tend to buy the ones we'd consider references, ones we'd use more than once. Heaven help us if we take any of the kids with us...I'm trying to teach them to carry their own little notebooks :D

I am starting to get the impression that libraries are very different in different areas and was wondering what the lending policies are like were you are. I'm starting to worry that I might be spoiled at my library. We can check out up to 200 items at a time, books, cds, doc. films 3 weeks, feature films 1 week. We can have up to 100 items on hold at a time and there's no charge for holds. There is no late dues unless it's like 30 days over due. We have an online catalog and can manage our account from home, find and reserve items, order items from many other branches, renew checked out items, see what's came in, what's due. I love my library but will probably be moving in the next year.

I'm a library girl myself - I just find it to be so much cheaper, and as people have already stated, it means that I can just return books that I don't like. I buy books now and then if they are not yet available here, or if I really like them, but usually I just stick to the good ol' library

Ronny said:
I'm starting to worry that I might be spoiled at my library
You are very spoilt!

I can get out 20 items for 3 weeks. I recently had to pay my library 5 cents (yes, they actually made me pay it) for returning a book a day late. Bestsellers are $3 to hire out, and you are only allowed them for a week. It costs $1 to hold or to transfer books.

So yeah, I guess that you have it pretty well ;)

Ronny said:
I am starting to get the impression that libraries are very different in different areas and was wondering what the lending policies are like were you are. I'm starting to worry that I might be spoiled at my library. We can check out up to 200 items at a time, books, cds, doc. films 3 weeks, feature films 1 week. We can have up to 100 items on hold at a time and there's no charge for holds. There is no late dues unless it's like 30 days over due. We have an online catalog and can manage our account from home, find and reserve items, order items from many other branches, renew checked out items, see what's came in, what's due. I love my library but will probably be moving in the next year.
Yep Ronny I also think you might be slightly spoiled. My public library has a 100-item limit for items checked out, and they charge you late fees starting the first day it's overdue (5 or 10 cents/day depending on the item). However, holds and interlibrary loan are free, just like with you, and the library's website has the same capabilities you mentioned.

As a future librarian I'm so glad to see that everyone here loves libraries so much! And it seems like you guys have an overall favorable impression of the staff and their service, which is great because it's a recent trend in libraries to really focus on that. Glad to see it's working!

I'm well known in the library. All the staff knows me by name and as soon as I open the door somebody goes to fetch everything which arrived through interlibrary loan. CDs and DVDs are limited, only three items each for one week, books three weeks. They don't charge me for anything - interlibrary loan and holds are free, as well as the newest best sellers.
There is an internet catalogue of all the libraries in the region, where I can order the books through interlibary loan. I only have to pay late fees if I'm way overdue.

Most American public libraries should be at about the same level of service. If not, do some complaining !!! American tax dollars pay for it, so it should all be up to par. I don't know what the checkout limit at my library is...I suppose its because I have never been told I've got too many books out. The most I've had has been about two dozen. I try to put limits on myself :rolleyes: The late fees are nominal, like 5 cents a day, up to a dollar for audio/video stuff. Holds and inter-library loan are free, too. I love being able to surf the catalog online and reserve books. Then I can just walk in and get handed a stack of books (yippee). I also like to just slowly peruse the shelves and pull out whatever catches my eye , although I can get into trouble doing that when I want about a dozen books but already have a dozen at home.

The library is great. I pay $8 a year for my card and I can read whatever I want. Good deal!! So mostly I go to the library unless I feel like buying a bunch of books which I did recently, but then I'm still going to the library anyways. Gee, sometimes I wonder why I bother buying books at all, but they look so pretty on my bookcase. :D

I never use the library any more and havnt done for years! If there was a book i wanted you would have to wait your turn as they only had so many copies! I do buy all my books as i do like to keep them!

I wouldn't be able to read without the library. I don't even have money in my budget to buy a cup of coffee on a sunday morning before I do my groceries. I NEED libraries.

KristoCat said:
As a future librarian I'm so glad to see that everyone here loves libraries so much! And it seems like you guys have an overall favorable impression of the staff and their service, which is great because it's a recent trend in libraries to really focus on that. Glad to see it's working!

I think my library has great service, they are very nice, know me well and do many community activites, puppet shows, arts & crafts, book clubs. Great people and atmosphere. Are you going for your masters then? I have a friend working on being a librarian as well and she says it's great but hard work. I had no ideahow hard till she started, but good luck to you :)

I prefer borrowing to buying. When I was growing up we moved ten times and everytime we moved we had to pack up about two thousands books and haul them to the new house. Books take up so much space too. I refuse to be burdened by books! The library rules!

Ronny said:
I think my library has great service, they are very nice, know me well and do many community activites, puppet shows, arts & crafts, book clubs. Great people and atmosphere. Are you going for your masters then? I have a friend working on being a librarian as well and she says it's great but hard work. I had no ideahow hard till she started, but good luck to you :)

Yep, I'm going for my masters. I'm going to focus on public librarianship, and eventually maybe someday be a reference librarian. I figure it's a great choice because I already love helping people and answering questions :D And I'd really like to work in a smaller library so I could get to know people, I see from what you've said, Ronny, that librarians knowing you makes a difference and I can see why!

My local library is quite small and it never seems to have the book i want, i end up ordering it in from another branch which takes time.
On the plus side they always seem to have a good book sale section with very cheap books, just pennies sometimes.

Back