• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Life of Pi: Does the Fiction Cheapen?

vanderkack

kickbox
Every one is probably sick of discussing Life of Pi by now, but bear with me on this one:

Does the fact this this is a fictitious story cheapen the overall meaning?

I was thinking about this, as I had to read the book for grade 12 english. At the end of the book, the character Pi presents the reader with two different, but related endings, leaving the reader with a personal choice between the two. When I first finished the book, I was going of the walls racking my brain trying to figure out witch was the right ending. I thought the book was based on a true story. If it was based on real events, then that means when choosing between the two endings, there would be a right answer. Unfortunately around the same time I finished the book, my teacher broke the news and I realized that knowing that it's a "fake" story, the two endings don't matter at all. I had put allot of faith in to the character Pi. I thought there was an actual dude named Pi living in Canada today who when through all the things I was reading about. Pi is an extordanry character, but Pi's adventures, and his choice between the endings seem pointless if this small Indian boy is really a 40 year old white guy with crazy hair just righting some shit down.

I guess that's sort of a jumble of Ideas, but bear with me. do I have a point?

So I looked the word "dose" up on dictionary.com, and as a noun one of the definitions was:

Slang. a case of gonorrhea or syphilis.

I don't recall STD's being a part of the story.

To the best of my knowledge there are no witches in the story either.

I'm not sure we read the same book.

Fictitious story? All stories are fictitious. What's wrong with that? Try to write down everything you did yesterday and everything you thought while you were doing it. You can't. You have to select, and thus fiction is created.

Just a little philosophy to entertain you while you struggle with literature.

Every one is probably sick of discussing Life of Pi by now, but bear with me on this one:

Dose the fact this this is a fictitious story cheapen the overall meaning?

I was thinking about this, as I had to read the book for grade 12 english. At the end of the book, the character Pi presents the reader with two different, but related endings, leaving the reader with a personal choice between the two. When I first finished the book, I was going of the walls racking my brain trying to figure out witch was the right ending. I thought the book was based on a true story. If it was based on real events, then that means when choosing between the two endings, there would be a right answer. Unfortunately around the same time I finished the book, my teacher broke the news and I realized that knowing that it's a "fake" story, the two endings don't matter at all. I had put allot of faith in to the character Pi. I thought there was an actual dude named Pi living in Canada today who when through all the things I was reading about. Pi is an extordanry character, but Pi's adventures, and his choice between the endings seem pointless if this small Indian boy is really a 40 year old white guy with crazy hair just righting some shit down.

I guess that's sort of a jumble of Ideas, but bear with me. do I have a point?

What led you to believe that a novel (by definition a work of fiction) was a biography?

Put the bowl down son and step away.

Does the fact that a story is fiction cheapen the overall meaning? Answer this question and you'll answer yours: does All Quiet on the Western Front have to be non-fiction to make the reader realize how tragic war is?

Thanks for the laughs, guys!

Isn't there a thread that pinned for those who are seeking "Help" with homework?

What led you to believe that a novel (by definition a work of fiction) was a biography?

Put the bowl down son and step away.

Does the fact that a story is fiction cheapen the overall meaning? Answer this question and you'll answer yours: does All Quiet on the Western Front have to be non-fiction to make the reader realize how tragic war is?

I want the OP to come back and answer me.

Back