• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

List your favorite Stephen King novels

sirmyk

I'm taking a quick poll, so list your King novels from most favorite to least favorite...

01. The Stand
02. It
03. Salems' Lot
04. The Dark Tower Series
05. The Shining
06. The Green Mile
07. The Long Walk (Bachman)
08. Rage (Bachman)
09. Dreamcatcher
10. The Talisman

Other favorites: Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, Carrie

the stand
the talisman
tommy knockers
it
whatever short story compilations or novella's that had rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption and the body

ooh and there was this creepy short story about the boogey man, scared the crap out of me.

Different Seasons is the name of the collection that includes The Body and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I believe "The Boogeyman" was in Skeleton Crew.

no 'the boogeyman' was in Night Shift.

I like Night Shift, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Dark Tower Series, It, The Shining, Cycle of the Werewolf... those are my top favorites i can think of now.

I've always preferred his novellas over most of his novels. Notably, those in Different Seasons, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and The Langoliers in Four Past Midnight; also some of the stories in Hearts In Atlantis.

For novels: The Shining, The Dark Tower series, The Green Mile, It (except the ending).

I read a bunch of them, but it's been probably 10 years since I last even looked at a King book. If I had to pick a couple to re-read, if you put a gun to my head they would be:

1. Night Shift
2. Skeleton Crew
3. Different Seasons
4. Misery

ooh misery that one is great too. the stand to me is the most interesting. i read it about 10 years ago but certain details are very clear to me, like how quickly nature would start to take back the land and cities and the idea of a second "plague". also who would be of the most value in the new world: doctors and engineers. how people would rebuild and start again to me is really fascinating.

Since we are making lists of Stephen King novels , not nonfiction, I would agree that On Writing is his worst novel. It is in my opinion, however, that On Writing is one of the greatest works of nonfiction for writers out there.

These are some of my favourites, though they're not necessarily in perfect order...

The Dark Tower series (except the end)
Firestarter
It
The Shining
Insomnia
Rose Madder
The Stand
The Talisman
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Body
Rita Hayworth...

The Eyes of the Dragon is my favorite, pure, no-frills storytelling--one of a precious few that really ends well.

The Dark Tower
Salem's Lot (I love vampire stories)
Misery
Pet Sematary
The Shining
The Stand
Firestarter
Christine
Carrie

I've loved everything I've read by him, which would be:
It
The Shining
Eyes of the Dragon
Rose Madder
Hearts in Atlantis
As Bachman:
Thinner
Rage
The Long Walk
and one of his collections:
Different Seasons

At the moment, I am reading The Green Mile and have in my TBR pile Skeleton Crew. Gerald's Game was just recommended to me by a friend as well.

The Stand
Misery
It
Carrie
The Dark Half
Desperation
Salems Lot
The Dead Zone
Firestarter
Christine
Black House
Gerald's Game

I have read most of Stephen Kings books although not for a whie.
The only ones i habe had trouble getting into was The Stand and The Dark Tower, although i am planning on trying the Dark Tower again soon.

My faves are
It
Needful Things
Pet Cemetery
Insomnia
Shawshank Redemption
Green Mile
The list goes on! :)

sirmyk said:
Since we are making lists of Stephen King novels , not nonfiction, I would agree that On Writing is his worst novel. It is in my opinion, however, that On Writing is one of the greatest works of nonfiction for writers out there.

Glad to see you say this, SirMyk. I have found it to be very helpful, and I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My favorite novels?
not all novels, but all fiction:
Night Shift (I think I called this "Graveyard Shift" in a different thread)
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Dark Tower Series
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (although the ending disappointed me)
The Stand
Carrie

Back