• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

List your favorite Stephen King novels

Having not yet read all of his I can't pick a favourite but I have enjoyed all of his that I have read. While his work is not all gold his major works are worth reading according to many, even some that know what a good book is.

favorites

It
The Long Walk
Needed Things
The Stand
The Body (or Stand By Me)
Storm of the Century

Least Favorite
The last 2 books in the Dark Tower Series. Actually, for me, he hasn't written anything decent in the last 5 years or so.

vegatina said:
Least Favorite
The last 2 books in the Dark Tower Series. Actually, for me, he hasn't written anything decent in the last 5 years or so.

I agree with you that his more recent work just does not compare with his earlier books. I loved the Dark Tower at first, but it ran out of steam towards the end, I think. I also hated the ending!

I thought The Wolves of the Calla was pretty fun and that's more recent. I'm not itching to finish the series though. Susannah is my least favourite character in the books and book 6 appears to be completely about her and I've heard very little that's positive about the last book. I found the first 5 to be, like I said, fun.

I have read almost all of his books, and really have enjoyed them all, with few exceptions.

favorites include:
Dark Tower series
The Stand
The Talisman/Black House
Bag of Bones
Hearts in Atlantis
Different Seasons
Firestarter

Didn't much care for The Dark Half, or Tommyknockers, but I intend to give them another go, and see if I come to appreciate them.

ions said:
Having not yet read all of his I can't pick a favourite but I have enjoyed all of his that I have read. While his work is not all gold his major works are worth reading according to many, even some that know what a good book is.
Well, what's your favorite out of the ones you have read? ;)

Salems' Lot
The Shining
The Stand
The Dark Tower Series(his best work I think)
Pet Sematary
The Talisman
Misery
Gerald's Game

Ugh, I forgot It. That's a great one too.

Libra6Poe said:
Well, what's your favorite out of the ones you have read? ;)

Of his that I have read I would have to say....The Waste Lands I guess. Not really confident in that answer. I enjoyed On Writing but non-fiction shouldn't be compared against fiction. As you can see I haven't read much of his so like I said I'm not sure it's fair of me to pick a favourite.

Here are the Stephen King books I have read:
The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Waste Lands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla
On Writing
The Eyes of the Dragon
Pet Cemetery
The Black House
w/ Peter Straub
The Waste Lands

IT
sits here to be read this month. Right after the next book I have planned.

Ooh.. Wastelands was my favorite in the DT series :) I absolutely loved that one. So, do you plan on finishing the series? I know you have others on your TBR list, but I know some people just didn't care for the last 3. (I loved it though)...

I'm sure you'll enjoy It as well! It's my fave King. ;) Beautiful.

I do plan on finishing the series but I'm not very eager to. Susannah is my least favourite character in the series so I'm not that excited about book 6. I'd be more excited if it were called Song of Oy. As for the last book I keep hearing that the ending is very flat. When you build something up over the course of 7 plus books I guess it would be hard for it not to be anti-climactic. Anyway both books are waiting to be loaned to me by family.

lenny nero said:
It's not really about her. You should read it. It's good.

I will. Not in any hurry for the next books as I was with books two through five.

ions said:
As for the last book I keep hearing that the ending is very flat. When you build something up over the course of 7 plus books I guess it would be hard for it not to be anti-climactic. .
Just to provide an alternate voice, I thought the ending was perfect.

My favorites.
The Shining
The Stand
It
Dark Tower Series

Probably others that aren't jumping to mind.

curiouswonder said:
Just to provide an alternate voice, I thought the ending was perfect.

I agree, even though it was not what I expected.

I'm a late convert so I haven't read that many of his books yet. So far my favorites are the Dark Tower series (except for Wizard and Glass), Rose Madder, It, Night Shift and Everything's Eventual.

Back