• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Livin' by the books!

emptyparkinglot

Hey all!
I'm a fan of classic literature. I just love the old-style dialogue and language as a whole! I especially enjoy the old children's classics. My all-time favorite non-religious book is "The Adventures of Pinnochio" by Carlo Collodi. I also enjoy some contemporary literature. My all-time favorite authors are John Knowles, Steinbeck, C. S. Lewis, Mark Twain, Tolstoy, Lewis Caroll, Charles Dickens... and I have a few others, I just can't think of them right now. I think that life is made whole through literature. We understand who we are and what we want out of life as we read the pursuits and endeavors of others. The value of a book is intrinsic; it only holds as much value as its holder affords to it. I am open to suggestions of new material (both current and vintage!) and I love to talk about books that I've read in the past. I read a book and then I try to decipher the messages that the author is sending through the story line. That's what I talk about most.

Well, that's enough of an intro. for me. I'm currently reading "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L Frank Baum. The last book that I read was "Remembering Garrett" by Senator Gordon H. Smith. If anyone has read these, let me know!:)

Happy Journeys!
-emptyparkinglot

Hi Emptyparkinglot and a big Welcome. I'm sure you'll find plenty of fans of the books you like here. I'm very fond of Lewis Carroll. :)

Oooh! Good Question!

Well... let's see... I would have to say that "Huck Finn" is my favorite. I have to admit that there is only one true reason for this. I love all of Twain's literary works just about equally because of the flow of his stories and the mood that he is able to convey throughout each. But Huck Finn most definately sets one stage of Twain's life apart from another stage. The first part of the book is very light-hearted and full of mischief that was "all in good sport" so to speak. But the last portion of the book became very deep and dealt with problems that couldn't simply be shrugged off in the course of a couple of chapters. The culminating finale of the story from two such contrasting origins, makes this book so incredibly singular that it has to be set apart as my favorite from the rest.

Thanks for asking! What's your favorite Twain book? I have read "Crime and Punishment" a couple of times and I have enjoyed both reads thoroughly. However, it is still hard for me to understand Raskolnikov or his reasoning behind the choices he makes. Sofya is my favorite character of the book! She is so complex!:eek:

Back