• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

look for some book writting about school life

xiam

I want to read some novel or biography, writting about the life during high school and college, so to know other's life experience during school, does anyone has some good suggestion?

My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student by Rebekkah Nathan is one of the newer books out there about the college experience. This one is getting a lot of press reviews due to the fact that Nathan is an athropologist who wanted to know a variety of things about her students. Simple things such as-who decided it was o.k. to eat during class?, why don't students read? This is a top-seller on Amazon and would be a good read.

Well you could try "looking for alibrandi" or any of the lockie leonard books the authors of which i can't remember but i'll look it up and get back to you.

Okay "Looking for Alibrandi" was written by Melina Marchetta with ISBN: 0140236139

and Lockie Leonard is by Tim Winton

The authors of Rule of Four went to Princeton, so I bet that's the setting.

Also there's:

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

cajunmama said:
The Rule of Four is set at a university (Princeton) and the main characters are students.

Good reccomendation!, this one has been quite the seller if I remembe correctly.

Roald Dahl's autobiographies. 'Boy' was certainly set in his boarding schools, but I'm not sure about the others.

Having never read Sue Towsend's The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 1/4 I can't say if it spends time on his school days (perhaps someone can confirm) but he's certainly, in this book, of the right age.

Kookamoor said:
Roald Dahl's autobiographies. 'Boy' was certainly set in his boarding schools, but I'm not sure about the others.
I second this recommendation :) (I believe his other autobiography - Going Solo - is about his career in the RAF)

MonkeyCatcher

I just started Old School by Tobias Wolff, so far it's good.

"Determined to fit in at his New England prep school, the narrator has learned to mimic the bearing and manners of his adoptive tribe while concealing as much as possible about himself. His final year, however, unravels everything he's achieved, and steers his destiny in directions no one could have predicted." "The school's mystique is rooted in Literature, and for many boys this becomes an obsession, editing the review and competing for the attention of visiting writers whose fame helps to perpetuate the tradition. Robert Frost, soon to appear at JFK's inauguration, is far less controversial than the next visitor, Ayn Rand. But the final guest is one whose blessing a young writer would do almost anything to gain..."--BOOK JACKET.

Ronny said:
I just started Old School by Tobias Wolff, so far it's good.

"Determined to fit in at his New England prep school, the narrator has learned to mimic the bearing and manners of his adoptive tribe while concealing as much as possible about himself. His final year, however, unravels everything he's achieved, and steers his destiny in directions no one could have predicted." "The school's mystique is rooted in Literature, and for many boys this becomes an obsession, editing the review and competing for the attention of visiting writers whose fame helps to perpetuate the tradition. Robert Frost, soon to appear at JFK's inauguration, is far less controversial than the next visitor, Ayn Rand. But the final guest is one whose blessing a young writer would do almost anything to gain..."--BOOK JACKET.

I had a weird experience with that. I read a long excerpt in The New Yorker about a year before it came out and it went into the black hole that is not my conscious memory. Then I started reading the book and it seemed so familiar, for several pages I was sure Wolff had plagiarized it (It was, after all, a brand-new book that I couldn't possibly have read before.) Of course, it was just my self-induced deja vu due to stupidity.

Back