• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a decent fantasy series.

khawk

Hey, I've been reading the fantasy genre for well over a decade. It now feels like I have run out of all the good stories.
I absolutly loved Wheel of time and Robin Hobbs trilogy of trilogies. Sword of truth and Reymond E feists book series (used to think a lot more of it befoe I read wheel of time and discovered its actually quite badly written) were "Ok". I've attempted to read (and failed) sword of shannara, and countless over books. I disliked A song of ice and fire, the writing didn't agree with me but the tv series is pretty awesome.
I read the hobbit and LoTR when I was 9, which brought me into the genre.

So can anyone recommend something for me to try? :). Someone recommended Pawn of prophecy by david eddings. is it any good?

*Sorry for typos, don't have my glasses on ^^.

How about The Book of The New Sun by Gene Wolfe, there's four books in the series starting with The Shadow of The Torturer. I really enjoyed them.

Fire Keeper series by Jane Lindskold
If you liked Hobb's you may like those too. The last book or two aren't great but then neither were Hobb's ;).

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie
Another dark fantasy series

The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V. S. Redick
I've only read the first two books in this series so far but I enjoyed them. My library hasn't gotten the third in yet and I refuse to pay $12 for the e-book lol.

I have been away from this forum for many moons. Trying to get back into the swing of things now.

I recommend any of the fantasy books by David Gemmel. Some are part of a series, but all can be read stand-alone.

have you read anything by Sara Douglass? if you liked Hobb, you might like her books too.

i really liked all the David Eddings series, except for The Dreamers, which left me cold..

Look into Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders trilogy (the MANY books that come after are hit-or-mostly miss by a LONG shot)

Also Roger Zelanzy's Amber series. and Phillip jose Farmer's World of Tiers (sci-fi/fantasy about 40/60)

Orson Scott Card's The Tales of Alvin the Maker were pleasing to me.

If you want something more adult, like assassins, and like when a young hero with no experience gets trained by a master, try The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I thought it was pretty good, but there are definitely some really graphic scenes that aren't cut out for everyone.

Besides that, I think the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson is amazing. Such an original magical system and world, plus the books only get better after the first one. Some really good twists and definitely a worthwhile read if you are into the fantasy genre.

PS

Brandon Sanderson finished the Wheel of Time series, so I would definitely give his original novels a try.

I read a ton of fantasy, but these stuck out to me as pretty original and different.

oh yes, i enjoyed the Brent Weeks books too.. i had forgotten those..

Jack Whyte's Camulod series is well worth a read too..

The Mythago Wood series by Robert Holdstock was read by my SFF book group recently and well received. Particularly intriguing if you are into arboreal spookiness.
If you want more than a hint of eroticism with your forest horror then Blood Fugue by Joseph d'Lacey published this year (2012) is a good one.

Try Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. It is pretty long but worth it. Also, amazon had some good deals on it a while back.

If you like humor with your fantasy, try The Fourth Channel by Jen Kirchner. It's the first in a series, newly released. Witty, well written, very different from anything I've read in the genre.

For something more traditional, ditto on the Brandon Sanderson books.

Yes, Eddings The Belgariad series is great.

I assume when you say fantasy that you mean all fantasy and not just sword and sorcery fantasy, so here's my list in no particular order:
Roger Zelasny- Amber series
Tad Williams- Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series
Stephen King- The Dark Tower series
Jim Butcher- The Dresden Files
Terry Brooks- The Word & Void series
Stephen Donaldson- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
Mervyn Peake- Gormenghast trilogy
Patrick Rothfuss- The Kingkiller Chronicle
Richard Adams- Shardik
Karl Edward Wagner- Kane series
Glen Cook- The Black Company series
Ursula K. LeGuin- The Earthsea Cycle
H.P. Lovecraft- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
Brian Lumley- The Dreamlands series
Fritz Lieber- Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series
C.S. Friedman- The Cold Fire trilogy
Guy Gavrial Kay- The Fionavar trilogy
Michael Moorcock- Elric of Melnibone series
Terry Pratchett- Discworld series
Katherine Kerr- Deverry series
L. E. Modesitt Jr.- Saga of Recluce

That should keep you busy for awhile.

I am quite new to reading so I don't have a large arsenal of books to throw your way but I have been reading Guy Gavriel Kay's Under heaven and it is quite a good book, and I haven't read them but there are many other books by him that are all in fantasy.

I don't read a lot of fantasy but out of what I've read I do like George R.R. Martin, Tad williams and R.A. Salvator quite a bit.

I think the Otherland series by Tad Williams is very good, it takes you to many different settings and has a lot of great characters.

"The first volume in this story takes readers to the near-future, when a global conspiracy threatens to sacrifice the Earth for the promise of a far more exclusive place--Otherland, a universe where any fantasy can be made real.

When Renie Sulaweyo's younger brother, Stephen, returns from the Net after visiting Mister J's, a virtual reality equivalent of the Hellfire Club, she's worried about him. When his next Net trip leaves him in a coma, Renie is terrified and angry. Soon she discovers evidence that other children have lapsed into comas under similar circumstances. A professor of computer science and an adept user of the Net, Renie retraces Stephen's trail and enters Mister J's but barely escapes with her own mind intact. After her adventure, she discovers that someone has downloaded into her computer the impossibly complex image of a fantastic golden city. Then her apartment is fire-bombed, she loses her job and another professor whom she has recruited to help her decipher the mystery is murdered. It's clear that Renie has angered someone with almost unlimited power, but she remains determined to save her brother."

Stephen Lawhead's "Albion Trilogy" is quite good.

His 5 book "Pendragon Cycle" maybe even better.

As a stand alone novel, I like his "Avalon".

The Dark Tower series which I am half way through have been great...book 1 is slow but the second is amazing.

I'm Reading these which are different

Bitterwood (Bitterwood Trilogy) by Maxey and The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers Series) by Ching are pretty different from normal sword and magic stuff and keep you interested from the first page. But haven't seen the full series for either.

I recently read a book called Valley Of Glamorgan, I got it from amazon to my kindle. It was supper cheap! it is free for amazon prime costumers but it is only 3.99 so its not like it will break your wallet.If you love a good fantasy story you will like this one with magical creatures( that are not lame).

I couldnt put this book down it had adventure, romance, and just the

right amount of violence.

Hi,

I would recommend if you want books that are clever and funny in an over the top way the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Also in the opposite direction the Green Rider's series by Kristen Britain. They are great adventure magic dark forest with lost of monsters books. And the Deathgate Cycle books by Margaret Weird and Tracy Hickman, they are about two race that have been after each other for years but are tied together.

Back