• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for book recommendation

Hi!

I am new here to the book forum, ;) so I hope you're a friendly bunch of people. A Happy New Year to you all!

What I am looking for is some book or author recommendations. I enjoy reading romance novels, but what I personally can do without are the rather graphic s*x scences that are contained within some or most of those novels in this category that I have read so far. I don't mind the occasional kiss, of course, but then again, this does not have to be too detailed, if you know what I mean... :rolleyes: Do you know of any decent romance novels or authors that are devoid of this kind of questionable "entertainment" but still very enjoyable (and perhaps even fun) to read?

I'd be really grateful for some answers....

PS: I know I'm a guy asking this question, but you'd be surprised how many of us men secretly enjoy reading romance stuff... many of us are romantics at heart! Of course, most would never admit it :D

Welcome to the forum and happy new year.
There are freindly people here, and then there are those who would rather eat you than talk to you.. Good luck

Sorry but I can't really help you with any romance book, except to say that you might see Cathy C's and C T Adam's book:Hunter's Moon, which is the only one I can think of.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Who are a few of your fave books and authors of romance? Knowing that can help people give you a better recommendation :)

Hi! Welcome to the forum... Have you tried Jill Mansell? She can be quite funny as well. I last read 'Falling for You' which I thought was quite good. :)

Good luck! Your best bet would be reading older books... I can't think of any sexually explicit romances written before 1920.

Welcome, World-in-Unison! I'm afraid that based on your description, you probably won't like our paranormal offering, but our historical called "Road to Riches" might be just right. There isn't even a kiss between the hero and heroine, but they do end up together.

What you are looking for is what's known as a "sweet" romance. This is a sub-genre that is light and as you phrased it, "devoid of" explicit scenes. You might find that inspirational romances would work well for you, or some of the Regency period books. Do you have a particular favorite time period or sub-genre? (paranormal, contemporary, urban, time-travel, etc.?)

One place that you might look for good sweet offerings is a website called "All About Romance". Their review page lists the type of romantic content, where a lot of other romance sites don't. Another good place is "Dark Angel Publications." They are specific to inspirational and sweet romance.

Hope that helps!
Perhaps if you give me a couple of authors that you like, I could direct you.

Hi!

Thank you all for your recommendations, I will certainly have some things to look at now. Thanks especially to Cathy, for pointing out the sub-genre that I may want to look at.

Recently, I read David Baldacci's "Christmas Train", and the romance between the "Hero" (Journalist) and his heroine (the movie script writer) is just what I like... there was also much fun in this book.

I'll also have a look at Jill Mansell's books. Right now, however, I'm reading something totally different, namely Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code". I can hardly put it down once I start reading, but I have to remind me that I also have other things to do apart from sitting there and reading the book... :)

Hugo

Edit: Cathy, did you have this site in mind when you pointed me to the "All About Romance" website?

Have you thought about trying Jane Austen? Her books are from an entirely different era, but I think they speak to every generation. Pride and Prejudice is her best.

I enjoyed The Christmas Train, as well. I can't make too many recommendations, because this is not my usual genre, but I think Jane Austen might be worth a try for you.

Happy reading :)

Erica James writes some quite sweet novels where the sex is referred to, but never explicitly described.

I quite liked Douglas Kennedy for this as well.

For the first author, try 'The Holiday' and for the second try 'The Pursuit of Happiness'.

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for but i can recommend Knut Hamsun's Pan. A story about a loner that travels to a small village in the north of Norway because of the beautiful nature. He fully intends to spend his time alone walking through the woods, but in the village he talks to a girl and he cant get her out of his mind.

You will need to find a good translation of the book because the beautiful lyrical language plays a important part in this book. Its not your typical romance novel (although i dont read typical romance novels so what do i know), but its a great book.

World-in-unison Wrote: Cathy, did you have this site in mind when you pointed me to the "All About Romance" website?

Yep, that's the one. Pop over to the review page and look for offerings with descriptions of "kiss" or "subtle". Those should suit you! :)

You might join rhapsodybookclub.com, you can tell from their reviews generally what the level of intimacy is.

Since you seem to like mysteries as well, try Dee Henderson. She writes inspirational mystery/romance.

Katie Macalister is a good choice I’ve just finished reading ‘the corset diaries’ laughed through most of it, her books do contain those questionable scenes you dislike (not a big fan myself) but not over much and the story make up for it *shrugs* she also rights under the alias of ‘Katie Maxwell’ which would likely contain less if any as its targeted at a younger age group.. but I can’t comment I have not gotten around to reading any of those books yet.

Lynn kurland is also a good choice and she tends to skip most of the details and gets on with the story.

world-in-union said:
Hi!

I am new here to the book forum, ;) so I hope you're a friendly bunch of people. A Happy New Year to you all!

What I am looking for is some book or author recommendations. I enjoy reading romance novels

Try this book...I started it a few days ago...its FANTASTIC

1eb8s0

Back