• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for Books with Gritty, Police Story (fiction)

sexynbrains2

Can anyone recommend to me any fiction books with a gritty police story? I am thinking along the lines of NYPD Blues or Hill Street Blues. Any authors you recommend?

What you want is Ed McBain. He's an ex-NYC cop and writes exactly that. Has maybe 10 books out. I've read two and they are gritty NYC.

Also, George Pelecanos is really good, but he sets his stories in Wash, DC.

Ed McBain has prolly been around as long, but the guy who started the new wave in police stories in movies and TV was Joseph Wambaugh, with books like The Blue Knight, The New Centurions, The Choirboys, The Onion Field, and The Black Marble.

How about Ian Rankin? I've never read his detective novels but he sets them in Edinburgh which means they are probably the grimmest, grittiest ever penned. :D

Stewart said:
How about Ian Rankin? I've never read his detective novels but he sets them in Edinburgh which means they are probably the grimmest, grittiest ever penned. :D

Aye, but you have to understand their patter, Hamish.

Joseph Wambaugh has several good ones, and they're "true crime" versus complete fiction, so just a tad...grittier.

Nelson Demille's latest - Night Falls is a very gritty NYPD story. It is fiction based around a factual event - the TWA flight that crashed near Long Island. I thought it was very good.

Syracusefan said:
Nelson Demille's latest - Night Falls is a very gritty NYPD story. It is fiction based around a factual event - the TWA flight that crashed near Long Island. I thought it was very good.

Looks very good. May order it.....gone a massive pile of unread books already though! :rolleyes: Ahh.....what the hell....another one on the 'to be read' won't make any difference! :D

You don't have to own them, you know! It's National Library Week and a good time to check something out at your library!

Oberon said:
You don't have to own them, you know! It's National Library Week and a good time to check something out at your library!

I do! Always like to own my books. Never use the library. :)

Oberon said:

I didn't know that! But I did check out two things yesterday. Dark Voyage by Alan Furst, for the hub, and Fierce People by Dirk Wittenborn.

Back