• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for new Horror read

darrenwbrandon

Hey,
Does anyone know any GOOD horror novelists other than mainstream King and rice. I tried looking into others and found Edward Lee and while he is inventive I'm still looking for someone to really blow me away. I'll try just about anything: Vampires, zombies, etc. I would be really interested in hearing about any books or authors that any of you have read.
Thanks!!

mmm. This is my genre.

Poppy Z Brite

John Saul

Robert McCammon

Clive Barker

It depends on what you consider horror. These four writers do horror and other genres. Be more specific and I can help.

Also, let me know if you have a queasy tummy.

By the way...

Richard Laymon sucks ass! I wouldn't suggest him to anyone. He's like teenages having sex and then dying *yawn*

I've been recommended James Herbert's The Fog. Apparently it has scarred some TBFers for life.

An unorthodox suggestion would be Graham Masterton. Just don't read his The Manitou.

ds

Geenh said:
By the way...

Richard Laymon sucks ass! I wouldn't suggest him to anyone. He's like teenages having sex and then dying *yawn*
Ok, I'm confused. On the Laymon thread you said that you used to be a HUGE fan and suggested that people try him out. What caused the major change in attitude? :confused:

MonkeyCatcher said:
Ok, I'm confused. On the Laymon thread you said that you used to be a HUGE fan and suggested that people try him out. What caused the major change in attitude? :confused:

Probably the fact that as you go from book to book all that changes is the names. He is very dull, though, and suffered from a lack of any good ideas.

Geenh said:
He's like teenages having sex and then dying *yawn*

Yus - that's what I noticed when I first started reading him. I read a couple, and haven't picked any up since.

As for horror recommendations, apart from King, I haven't read much straight horror. But how about House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski? I never managed to get through it all because I got a bit fed up with the book layout (you'll know what I mean when you see it) - but the story is interesting, and it's gotten good reviews. There is a thread here, and if you do a search on Danielewski, you can also find some other mentions of it.

Thank you all so much! I really liked Nightshade by Saul and ahve read a few others of his books. I'm gonna search all the authors ya'll suggested.
I do not have a weak stomach and my interest is rather peaked at your suggestion. I've been reading mostly suspense novels and wanna try some more creepy, scary, gory, or evil. I hope that helps some.

Clive Barker, Dean Koontz, Dan Simmons, Joe R Lansdale, Shirley Jackson, Algernon Blackwood, Richard Matheson and H. P. Lovecraft should see you through.

Stewart said:
Probably the fact that as you go from book to book all that changes is the names. He is very dull, though, and suffered from a lack of any good ideas.
Ah, right, he suffers from a bit of the ol' Dan Brown Syndrome, eh? As I have already mentioned, I've only read one of his, but I was under the impression that he was quite a popular writer. I did notice the overload of horny teens throughout the novel, but was just curious as to what caused Geenh to change her opinion on the guy.

Some that haven't been mentioned:
Peter Straub
Brian Keene
Jack Ketchum

I'd second the recommends for:
Robert R. McCammon
Dan Simmons

Brian Lumley, the Necroscope series is great. It's about vampires and the supernatural and its much more gruesome than Anne Rice's vampire chronicles which i enjoyed Lemley's a lot more becasue of this. I'd check them out at least the first in the series to se if you like it.

Back