• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for "on the run" books

Zenn

Hi, I'm looking for books about criminals being on the run or from another point of view, which is the detective trying to catch up on the criminal. If you've watched it, it's something like the film "Catch Me if You Can" starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. Thanks!:D

One of the best books I’ve read this year is an “on-the-run” story: “Six Bad Things” by Charlie Huston. A sample review follows. See the blog on his web site for an idea of his writing style. There are also sample chapters to download. http://www.pulpnoir.com/

After 2004's exhilarating Caught Stealing--in which a regular schmo emerges from a bloody war between bad NYPD cops and Russian mobsters with $4.5 million in stolen cash, all because he agreed to watch a shady neighbor's cat--it's understandable that Hank Thompson just wants to fade away. Cat still in tow, Hank has built a beach hut in Mexico and finally stopped boozing. But his contact in the States warns him the heat's back on, and a young Russian backpacker shows up full of questions. Hank's ready to buy some peace, until threats against his family force him to make a desperate dash for California. There, he plunges into a kaleidoscope of violence spun by Mexican smugglers, Russian toughs, corporate thugs, Vegas drug dealers, and cops of every stripe. Even the guy who sells Hank a used car recognizes him from TV and tries to mete out some lucrative vigilante justice. Imagine The Blues Brothers as directed by Sam Peckinpah. But Hank demonstrates an almost-supernatural knack for survival, and one can't help but root for him even as he brings mayhem into the lives of family and friends. In this second entry of a promised trilogy, Huston also engineers one of the most dramatic protagonist personality changes ever seen in series crime fiction.

Appolonia said:
One of the best books I’ve read this year is an “on-the-run” story: “Six Bad Things” by Charlie Huston. A sample review follows. See the blog on his web site for an idea of his writing style. There are also sample chapters to download. http://www.pulpnoir.com/

That sounds very interesting! I'll definitely keep a look-out for both "Caught Stealing" and "Six Bad Things"! Thanks for the heads-up!:D

Check out Nathans Run and At All Costs from John Gilstrap. He is a good thriller writer and these are both on the run stories.

Point of Impact from Stephen Hunter. This was written when Hunter was still good. He has gone way over the top in his last few. It is being made into a movie with Mark Wahlberg. I pray they don't ruin it.

"Every Dead Thing" by John Connelly. Cop tracking the killer of his family. It's very dark, but in a good way.

Another good one is "The Last Family" by John Ramsey Miller.

Back