• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lost

A colleague reads SFX magazine and left it at work yesterday. This month it had quite a big article on LOST. Have to admit it does look like something that I will probably enjoy. Something a little different.

I saw the first two episodes on C4 last night and really enjoyed them (well, dunno if enjoyed is quite the right word after reliving a plane crash over and over, not to mention the extremely unfortunate guy on the beach near the beginning :( )

But the series itself is intriguing and already getting rather bizarre (a polar bear?!) I'll continue to watch. Also, it's nice to actually watch something from the beginning; usually I don't hear about how good something is until it's been on a while (Father Ted for example).

Probably best to split this to a Lost (UK) thread before some idiot turns up and tells you about the scene where you meet the mad lady of the island or the bit where they decide to forget about surviving and nip along to the local golf course.

I saw lost last night and yeh it was good i really enjoyed it and i shall continue watching it! :)

ruby said:
I saw lost last night and yeh it was good i really enjoyed it and i shall continue watching it! :)

Come on, a better review than that please. You know you can do it. :)

What was good about it? What did you enjoy? Why will you continue watching it?

Stewart said:
Probably best to split this to a Lost (UK) thread...

Good thinking. :)

It's really interesting watching each character's back-story unfold. Already, the impressions you get of some characters' personalities may not be the correct ones - I like the way the information is being given to the viewer slowly in small amounts.

The publicity has said that each episode will focus on one or two of the 47 survivors - 47? Surely there were only about 20 last night? I take it more will be introduced then?

Halo said:
The publicity has said that each episode will focus on one or two of the 47 survivors - 47? Surely there were only about 20 last night? I take it more will be introduced then?

Each episode follows the double story line of coping with life on the island, getting to grips with each others personalities, and - in true Yank style - overcoming your problems within the 42 minute time slot.

There were 48 survivors but the episodes only focus on a core. Others are the equivalent of rhubarb rhubarb in the back seat of the coffee shop in Neighbours. Each episode follows one of the characters (unless they were travelling in twos) to give the episodes in their lives (along with their problems) that led to them being on the plane.

I saw the first two last night too. My reaction to that little surprise was "haha it's a freakin' polar bear" then falling over with laughter. :p

Its quite original isn't it? :rolleyes:

Stewart said:
Each episode follows the double story line of coping with life on the island, getting to grips with each others personalities, and - in true Yank style - overcoming your problems within the 42 minute time slot.

Oh, right. Thanks.

Stewart said:
There were 48 survivors but the episodes only focus on a core. Others are the equivalent of rhubarb rhubarb in the back seat of the coffee shop in Neighbours.

I am surprised you are admitting to watching Neighbours, Stewart.

Halo said:
I am surprised you are admitting to watching Neighbours, Stewart.

I haven't seen it since the late 90s when I went away to work. :(

tartan_skirt said:
Don't think I've seen a show with a killer polar bear before...

The BBC has shown plenty of documentaries. I presume you've only watched shows with vegetarian polar bears?

Stewart said:
Come on, a better review than that please. You know you can do it. :)

What was good about it? What did you enjoy? Why will you continue watching it?
Stewart sorry mate in a shitty mood and yeh i could do better but not at this moment in time!

The poor polar bear has obviously been wrongly accused - it was the cute Labrador dog wot dun it in my opinion.

I assumed the "polar bear" was an albino grizzly. Unless some mad scientists are also on the island playing with genetic engineering.
Is this Jules Verne "Mysterious Island" meets Lord of the Flies?

I too wasn't too happy at the repeated flash backs but I suppose its necessary to keep us clued up. This is the problem with a large cast.

Not enough shown to build up an indepth crit yet, Stewart - give us a couple of more episodes :p

Geoff

Halo said:
I saw the first two episodes on C4 last night and really enjoyed them (well, dunno if enjoyed is quite the right word after reliving a plane crash over and over, not to mention the extremely unfortunate guy on the beach near the beginning :( )

But the series itself is intriguing and already getting rather bizarre (a polar bear?!) I'll continue to watch. Also, it's nice to actually watch something from the beginning; usually I don't hear about how good something is until it's been on a while (Father Ted for example).

I thought it was quite poor but hopefully it will get better. I found the hobbit's character a bit annoying and i found the male and female leads sexual chemistry just after a plane crash a bit unlikely. Also there being a "monster" on the island was a bit of a stretch.

Maybe it will grow on me though.

Well, I've now watched the whole of the first series and it's enjoyable but still nothing special. Scenery is nice. If I was trapped on an island I'd be swearing my head off but, as mehastings said, you can't do it on this island.

After 25 episodes I can say that you know why they are all on the plane although all more mysteries are actually created than explained.

txgirl said:
the finale was such a disappointment. I"m never watching this show ever again. Imagination my ass. The premise is really good, but the writers aren't delivering the goods, imo. I honestly think they don't know how to answer the mysteries they've created.

It could be argued that the writers, once the final episode aired, have been watching online discussions centring around the show in order to get the answers they want. ;)

They say they know how they want the series to end but it's just a case of how many seasons the network will allow them to make before they have to conclude which means the following seasons will be, for the most part, padding.

Back