• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lovely and abandoned words

"stupendous" is a pretty wonderful word.

and by the way, my friends and i use phantasmagoric all the time, although we dont use it in context, but instead use it as a replacement for fantastic and add a "fucking" right in the middle.

raffaellabella said:
I love the word "coquette" but don't hear it often. When was the last time anyone was called a coquette?

That is a great word! I'm going to have to see if I can incorporate it into vocabulary. :rolleyes:

I just remembered another word I rather like: Cacophony. :D

I just signed up to the A Word A Day site and have started listing the words I come across that I like/don't know. I find that a lot of the time I'm stuck for words or can never seem to express myself with the right word, so I'm hoping this might help in some way...

I just posted this word in another thread: anon! I often use words that create questions. It's fun if you do it on purpose, but embarrassing if it slips out at the wrong moment.

Anon

nifty. it's so much better than cool. I also like the word calumny. Viscious affronts to one's honor are always interesting.

Oh, I forgot about "vicissitudes", which is a great word if a bit of a tongue twister. Barque is pretty great too.

How about blatherskite? It means one who speaks nonsense. I love it.

I also like integrity and vermillion. Just wonderfully clad (oooh, there's another one!) words I never hear.

Rugged. It sounds just like it should, very tough.

Inconspicuous.

Etiolate.

Ravine.

Where can I sign up for the Word-A-Day thing?

I use outdated words like "pocketbook", often pronounced "pockabook" instead of purse. I also say "tin foil" instead of "aluminum foil". Oh, and "cocoa" instead of "hot chocolate" and I'm only 35. You should see the looks I get when I use these words.

I read "incorrigible" in a book recently. It's a word that I have always wanted to work into a conversation. I think it must be commonly used in classics, where I came across it in my teens.

raffaellabella said:
I use outdated words like "pocketbook", often pronounced "pockabook" instead of purse. I also say "tin foil" instead of "aluminum foil". Oh, and "cocoa" instead of "hot chocolate" and I'm only 35. You should see the looks I get when I use these words.

You should see the strange looks we get when we say al-you-min-e-um in front of Americans (we spell it aluminium):D

poppy, that's how we pronounce it here too. But then we follow the Queen's English here (history buffs will know why, of course).

ds

From Star Wars: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

ds, ditto what Still said. :D

Donna Rose said:
"Alas"...which has somehow worked its way into my normal speech (seriously)...I started using it as a joke maybe 4 years ago (because I love it so), and now I use it without even realizing it. Ah, great word, alas....

D

what is the correct way to use "alas."

...maybe a sample sentence?

JimMorrison said:
what is the correct way to use "alas."

...maybe a sample sentence?

For my own completion of Donna Rose's ellipsis: "Ah, great word, alas, it is no longer in common use.":)

oops, when I use alas in my post, I was really referencing the word: ah, great word, "alas" ...that sort of thing. My fault for not being clear...however, bren completed the sentence nicely. :) I use "alas" whenever something comes up in conversation, like a casual complaint about something, I cap it with: "Alas!" As I said, it started as a joke but now I use it without realizing it.

As for "alack"...does anyone here know the musical Once Upon a Mattress? We did that my sophomore year of high school, and there's a lyric in it that goes: "Alas! A lass, is what, I lack! I lack, a lass, alas, alack!" hehehe good stuff...

D

Back