• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

M. Night Shyamalan

Yeah, Stewart. He's the chap who said "I'm sorry for all that I've done to you and yours" to Mel Gibson's character in Signs.

ds

jenngorham said:
yes joaquin used to be called leaf and he changed his name when he got older. they also have a sister rain(bow) who acts as well. she was bonanza jellybean in even cowgirls get the blues. joaquin was with his brother the night he died, he is the one who placed the 911 call. i loved river.
Their parents really had a theme when they named their kids, eh? Hippies? :D

jenngorham said:
i'm surprised too. i really liked signs. it was more than just an alien movie, it was a movie about faith.
Absolutely agree with you there.

ds

he also has a sister summer and a sister liberty, summer is married to casey affleck and they have a baby, indiana.

i know too much about this family. river was my first real love.

jenngorham said:
yes joaquin used to be called leaf and he changed his name when he got older. they also have a sister rain(bow) who acts as well. she was bonanza jellybean in even cowgirls get the blues. joaquin was with his brother the night he died, he is the one who placed the 911 call. i loved river.
He was lovely :(

i love M. Night Shyamalan's movies. i would have to say he's my favorite director because i've enjoyed every one of his movies that i have seen (all on your list). loved them all. true, Unbreakable is also my least favorite, but it is so much more enjoyable than all the other drivel out there. i agree, ds, that Signs spoke volumes. i thought the ending was very powerful.

Jenn- the Village is definitely my favorite, too. i saw it in the theatre, then bought the dvd so i could watch it again. Joaquin is my favorite actor- he's so amazing. the scene with him and bryce dh when they are sitting on the porch together and he is telling her to let him lead. i cried, it was so beautiful. AND- Parenthood is one of my favorite movies! i didn't realize bryce dh was in that- what part did she pay. shoot, i've seen that movie 5 times at least! ALSO- Quills is another dvd i bought after renting it- it's fantastic. Geoffrey Rush is pure genius (isn't he always)

back to m. night. this is one of my favourite scenes from the village:

Ivy: I know why you deny my sister. When I was younger... You used to hold my arm when I walked. Then suddenly
you stopped. One day, I even tripped in your presense, and almost fell. I was faking, of course. But still, you did
not hold me.

She whispers, almost sensually.

Ivy: Sometimes we don't do things we want to do, so that others won't know we want to do them.

there is also the scene at the wedding when she is reaching out for him, knowing he will come.
i think i loved the movie for all the scenes that ivy and lucius were in.

oh i love that part too:

She pauses, and then ventures something VERY daring, never betraying how much she is risking by what she says.

Ivy: When we are married, will you dance with me? I find dancing very agreeable.

Lucius is stunned again. Ivy has just proposed marriage to him, or rather, she has stated that it is inevitable. He is
shocked into honesty.

Ivy: Why can you not say what is in your head?

Lucius: Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? If I want to dance, I
will ask you to dance. If I want to speak, I will open my mouth and speak. Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak
further. Why? What... good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? What good can come
from my saying I-- I sometimes cannot think clearly, or- or do my work properly? What gain can rise from my telling
you... the only time I feel fear as others do, is when I think of you in harm? That is why I am on this porch, Ivy
Walker. I fear for your safety above all others. And yes... I will dance with you on our wedding night.

He has been shaking and she has been calm, but now she starts to shake and tears fall from her cheeks. He takes her
face in his hand, and they gently kiss.

bryce was just in the audience at the school play. did ron howard direct that?
i am going to rent the village tonight now :D

jenngorham said:
i am one of the few people i think who loves the village.

I really liked The Village, too. It was completely not what I expected. I thought the villans were real enough (even after the "revelation") to be uniquely scary. I also loved the way the courage of the blind lady (don't remember character's name) was portrayed. I cannot imagine being in that situation.

I also thought Signs was well done. The scene where we see the home footage of a birthday party, and then the alien walks out between two buildings scared the s*** out of me!

M. Night Shamalamading-dong is one of the very few film makers who has been able to scare me in a new way. I love it.

I was watching the bonus features on the Signs DVD. In his interview, he came across as a little arrogant and self-satisfied to me. Maybe this is accurate, and maybe not, but I liked him less as a person after seeing that. I still like his movies, though.

I want a sequel to "Unbreakable".

jenngorham said:
Ivy: I know why you deny my sister. When I was younger... You used to hold my arm when I walked. Then suddenly
you stopped. One day, I even tripped in your presense, and almost fell. I was faking, of course. But still, you did
not hold me.

She whispers, almost sensually.

Ivy: Sometimes we don't do things we want to do, so that others won't know we want to do them.

ooooooooooh *sigh* yes, that scene was wonderful. what a great movie.

leckert said:
I also thought Signs was well done. The scene where we see the home footage of a birthday party, and then the alien walks out between two buildings scared the s*** out of me!
that scared the s*** out of me, too. i almost jumped out of my pants!

direstraits said:
I'm surprised so many didn't like Signs. The ending scene spoke volumes, especially what Mel Gibson did after what he saw.

I cant speak for everyone but i found the movie very cheesy and filled with so many obvious plotholes it was just silly. It actually made me laugh.

There certainly was only one intelligent lifeform in the movie.

Zolipara said:
I cant speak for everyone ...

I agree with you, Z. You cannot. :D

I have only seen it once, and, when I sit down for a movie, I suspend my disbelief and agree to accept what the director is telling me so that I can try to enjoy the movie as its creator intended. If I were to watch it again, I would be more skeptical.

I did like Mel Gibson's struggle with his faith (or lack thereof) which was really the point of this movie, but I dug the alien stuff too.

Question: Weren't most of the crop circles eventually proven to be hoaxes? I thought I heard something like that.

i haven't seen it. is it good? i love him in everything. return to paradise, inventing the abbots, clay pigeons..... there is something about him, i can't put my finger on it. he is nothing like his brother, yet they both had it.

Quills is another dvd i bought after renting it- it's fantastic. Geoffrey Rush is pure genius (isn't he always)

Jenn- You should see Quills, Geoffrey Rush as the Marquis de Sade is perfect, Joaquin runs an Abbey/assylum(he looks very good as a priest) and Kate Winslet works as a Laundry maid and is caught up between the two. I know some people don't care for the movie due to the subject matter but I think they did a brilliant job on it.

jenngorham said:
yeah i saw a show on how they do them. 2x4's and rope, and some basic geometry.
My brother and I used to make crop circles. We made nine in a three year span. That was between '96 and '98. When Signs came out in the theatre, you could say we were excited, to say the least. But, alas, our signs were not captured in the picture. Wouldn't that've been the coolest thing? Great movie though. Back to the circles... it's amazing what little time it takes to make these things--at least in wheat/barley. Corn may be different, as we have only stomped through grain. Our biggest one, about 300 feet long, with small circles and geometric designs thrown in here and there, with a huge 96' center circle (diameter), took only an hour and a half to form in the field. As with the pyramids in Egypt, I have firm faith (or maybe I have lost faith altogether) that they are the work of humans; however, I do believe there's something out there in this gigantic universe besides us pidly folken... they're just not into making geometric patterns in our farmers' crops.

Oh yeah (so I don't hijack my own thread), The Villiage is probably my favorite of the bunch.

i like that. do we really think that if they have the technology to get here, then they are just going to f**k around in a hay field? lol.

ok, it's decided. if ball is cancelled due to the rain, i am renting the village again. and then i will get quills for the weekend.

jenngorham said:
ok, it's decided. if ball is cancelled due to the rain, i am renting the village again. and then i will get quills for the weekend.

Sounds like an excellent idea... and a bottle of something warm inside. :D

I've only seen The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, and I didn't think much to either of them. From this extensive viewing of his films, I have come to the conclusion that Shyamalan's movies consist of three hours of tedium followed by a completely expected "twist" at the end.

I haven't seen Unbreakable but enjoyed the others very much. The thing that made Signs so good was the fact that you were seeing it all through the eyes of the family. There was a feeling of dread that built slowly through the movie. No flashes to Pentagon war rooms or over-the-top special effects as the aliens destroyed the White House or anything. Instead, the audience experienced the unknown along with the characters.

i agree with you. i kept thinking this is how you would react. you would not macgyver yourself a tractor with chainsaws and duct tape, you would hide in your basement and wait.

For some reason aliens are my biggest fear, so I would be petrified in my basement with no plans of ever coming out. Maybe that's why I haven't watched this movie again, it's too scary for me.

Back