• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

M. Night Shyamalan

Jen, I would like to see that tractor :)

Ronny, as far as the fear of aliens goes, I imagine there were a few scenes that might have scarred you for life! That birthday party footage, the silhouette on the roof and the foot in the corn field :eek:

i shouldn't have said macgyver'ed though, the proper verb would have been a-teamed. macgyver was more a fixit type...lol.

jenngorham said:
i shouldn't have said macgyver'ed though, the proper verb would have been a-teamed. macgyver was more a fixit type...lol.
You're right! That's a very important 80's television/vocab distinction you made there. Plus, MacGyver would have required a swiss army knife and some bubble gum if I'm not mistaken.

pwilson said:
I haven't seen Unbreakable but enjoyed the others very much. The thing that made Signs so good was the fact that you were seeing it all through the eyes of the family. There was a feeling of dread that built slowly through the movie. No flashes to Pentagon war rooms or over-the-top special effects as the aliens destroyed the White House or anything. Instead, the audience experienced the unknown along with the characters.
If you liked his other three movies, I would recommend Unbreakable. It's the longest of his four, but the movie flows in the same fashion as his others. Shyamalan seems to be a director that creates suspense by showing us viewers what is somewhat difficult to bring across the screen in movies (like human emotion), and shows us things other than the horrors we assume are there. What we don't see, sometimes, is usually what scares us.

pwilson- Yes, my therapy bill increased substantially for awhile, but I've put the trauma mostly behind me now. Not sure why ghost, chainsaw weilding psychos, zombies I can deal with but aliens are just terrifying.

i like them all, but the village left me a little dissapointed, but unbreakable, is like one of my favorite movies, i guess i digged the the struggles the main carachter had, and the prosess of him dealing with them. i think the part at the end was kick ass at the breakfast table too. mac over the a team by the way

my favourite thing about his movies are his trailers. they NEVER give away the movie. you are left thinking whoa what the hell is that movie about. brilliant.

jenngorham said:
my favourite thing about his movies are his trailers. they NEVER give away the movie. you are left thinking whoa what the hell is that movie about. brilliant.

True. There's nothing worse than seeing a movie and finding out that every good scene was shown in the trailer. His definitely get you interested without giving away anything. I would second the MacGyver vote. His hair was pretty scary too.

sirmyk, I've been planning on renting Unbreakable, soon. I guess there is a weekend coming up...

pwilson said:
sirmyk, I've been planning on renting Unbreakable, soon. I guess there is a weekend coming up...
A weekend, a couch or chair to lean back in, and two hours and forty-something minutes is all you need.

sirmyk said:
You should buy a gun and shoot whoever revealed to you the ending... right in the face. But you must say, "I see dead people," just before doing so.

No one told me. It was just so freaking obvious to me.

I don't see dead people but I do see overtly obviious endings, even when the writer/producer has convinced himself otherwise.

Renee said:
No one told me. It was just so freaking obvious to me.

I don't see dead people but I do see overtly obviious endings, even when the writer/producer has convinced himself otherwise.

There was a big arguement between Night and some of his people about whether or not to put in that scene. Some thought it would give it all away, some were sure peoiple wouldn't "get it". Most people, myself included, don't "get it".

ANd I agree with leckert
I have only seen it once, and, when I sit down for a movie, I suspend my disbelief and agree to accept what the director is telling me so that I can try to enjoy the movie as its creator intended. If I were to watch it again, I would be more skeptical.

Jenn, I didn't see Night in SS or the Village, care to clue me in?

cajunmama said:
Jenn, I didn't see Night in SS or the Village, care to clue me in?
I'm not Jenn... but have some insight. In The Villiage, Mr. Shammylammy was the sheriff/ranger guy at the end, when the other ranger/police guy grabbed the meds. In Signs, Mr. Shimmypop was the guy who ran into Mel's wife. In Unbreakable, Mr. Sugardaddy was the junkie trying to smuggle drugs into the college. In Sixth Sense, Mr. Shawshankredemption was... (drawing a blank... anyone remember him in this movie?)

sirmyk said:
I'm not Jenn... but have some insight. In The Villiage, Mr. Shammylammy was the sheriff/ranger guy at the end, when the other ranger/police guy grabbed the meds. In Signs, Mr. Shimmypop was the guy who ran into Mel's wife. In Unbreakable, Mr. Sugardaddy was the junkie trying to smuggle drugs into the college. In Sixth Sense, Mr. Shawshankredemption was... (drawing a blank... anyone remember him in this movie?)
This is strange quoting myself, but I did some quick research and found out Mr. Shyamadagascar played a character named Dr. Hill.

Does anyone know if he played a part in "Wide Awake", his first movie? I know he wasn't in Stewart Little, because he only wrote the screenplay.

i have never heard of this movie, but upon googling it he doesn't star in the credits except as writer/director.

I remember him from Signs, and had a sneaking suspicion he was the guy reading the paper at the end of the Village, but still can't remember seieng him in Sixth Sense.

cajunmama said:
I remember him from Signs, and had a sneaking suspicion he was the guy reading the paper at the end of the Village, but still can't remember seieng him in Sixth Sense.
He was the doctor in The Sixth Sense in the scene after the birthday party when Haley Joel is taken to the hospital because they suspect his mom has been abusing him.

Have any of you guys heard about his new movie? I guess it's called Lady In The Water and it's about an apartment manager who finds a water nymph in the building's pool. I guess the nymph is Ms. Howard from The Village. Sounds interesting!

Back