• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood: The Blind Assassin

I'm taking this book with me on my upcoming trip and my hands (and eyes) are itching. I had a peek already and had some trouble closing the book before I got totally sucked in. But tomorrow morning, there won't be any stopping me!

And then there's this thread with all these spoilers in it... Ah!

I'm taking this book with me on my upcoming trip and my hands (and eyes) are itching. I had a peek already and had some trouble closing the book before I got totally sucked in. But tomorrow morning, there won't be any stopping me!

And then there's this thread with all these spoilers in it... Ah!
lies, glad to see you reading this one. I look forward to reading what you think of it. :)

Question

Did anyone understand the notes left in Laura's Mathematics notebook? The ones starting 'Avilion, no.' and ending 'X.X.X.X. O.' I understood that they revealed the truth to Iris, but how?

I've just read The Blind Assassin and did find it quite intriguing but also left me with more questions than answers. I searched online for a while to find any recent forums discussing this book and glad that I found this one. I hope anyone is still interested to discuss.

Most of my questions were answered here and I too wondered about the relationship that Laura may have had with Alex. Was it sexual or just her seeing him as someone to help. In the chapter where Iris meets up with Laura after her time away and trying to uncover what really happened at Bella Vista Laura makes some comments I'm still not clear on. She says something along the lines of having done what she did as a sacrafice, as horrible as it was, but it needed to be done.

Did Richard threaten to take action against Alex unless Laura did what he wanted and therefore is that the meaning behind when Iris said to Richard that he didn't have Laura's 'Consent' but more like 'Blackmail'?

Did anyone understand the notes left in Laura's Mathematics notebook? The ones starting 'Avilion, no.' and ending 'X.X.X.X. O.' I understood that they revealed the truth to Iris, but how?

I was also a little unclear on the above but understood this to be the dates and places/times when Richard abuses Laura? It was a bit confusing the way it was written to me?

Well I just finished it and I thought it was really good. I need to get a couple of things straight so please let me know if I got this right;

Laura's baby's daddy was Richard right? How do you know it wasn't Alex's?

Laura and Iris both had a sexual relationships with Alex?

I believe the answer to these are yes but I am not 100% sure so please help me. Anyways I really did enjoy the book and I consider it a must read.

I give it 8.5 buttons out of 10.

I understood Laura's baby to be fathered by Richard which was the whole scandal and the reason for sending her away to Bella Vista.

I too though wondered if Laura had a sexual relationship with Alex? To me, this part of the story isn't entirely clear and leaves alot up for assumption.

Laura's baby's daddy was Richard right? How do you know it wasn't Alex's?

Laura and Iris both had a sexual relationships with Alex?

I believe the answer to these are yes but I am not 100% sure so please help me. Anyways I really did enjoy the book and I consider it a must read.

I give it 8.5 buttons out of 10.

The Blind Assasin

I would like to talk about this novel. Margaret Atwood is one of my favorites

Is there anyone who want to share something about?

The Blind Assasin

Hello Atwood reader I think the Blind Assasin is written in the fine ,elegant,ironic stile of Margaret. The character of Iris as an off-side narrator has many ways to be read. As the older sister , very protective and responsible. The main victim when had to accept a convenience marriage to avoid the poverty and ruin to her family. The Fancy Lady in parties and cruisers so bussy in the society role and having time for a lover, that could,nt see her sister tragedy.
I see the old Iris triing to mend the past, and rescuing the true story for
Sabrina the grandaughter, asking for perhaps, the pardon.

English is not my native language, as you can see, but i do my best. Bye

Back