• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood

I have heard so many good things about Oryx and Crake I must try to get it - the thing is though I'm terminally mean and only get my books from Charity shops . there are loads all over Birmingham , nearly all the books I read are from them so if a book if fairly new it takes a few months for them to filter down.

I've read handmaids tale, oryx and crake, blind assasin, alias grace, the robber bride, and I'm about to finish Lady oracle.

I loved oryx and crake, and i also like lady oracle a lot. Alias grace also.

lies said:
I got Oryx and Crake at Waterstones in one of their cunning 3 for 2 schemes. I'm hoping to start it some time soon.

That's not cunning, it's cruelty to poor people! *laughs*

I liked Oryx and Crake a lot, although it took me a while to get into - mostly because i kept trying to work out exactly WHEN it happened, and some other minor things that i didn't feel were eventually explained.

:)

I've never read anything by her, though i've just heard her on desert island discs so i think i'll give the handmaids tale a go. From what she said, it's a book that includes all kinds of injustices, but every one of them has existed by law in one country or another. Sounds rather fitting nowadays.

I've read 2 of Atwood's books. I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake. When I was reading Blind Assasin I had another book that I wanted to go to so therefore hurried myself to finish it. I liked it, altough I might read it again some day.

Read Oryx and Crake a while ago.Took a while for me to get into because I'm not really into the sci-fi, futuristic genre...but yea...After a couple of chapters you settle into the story and setting and it becomes very interesting.

i have read all of the above mentioned MA books and loved them, especially "Oryx and Crake" and "Alias Grace", but one that was neglected and one of my personal favorites was "The Edible Woman". what a wonderfully twisted story. Atwood was one of those authors whose book i read out of curiosity, and then went to the library and read everything they had of hers. then i went to the bookstores and found every one that i had read, and a few that i hadnt and went on another Atwood bender.

I just got Oryx and Crake from the library today. I was quite surprised it was there since my library is so small. I can't wait to start it, since I've heard so much about it.

Ell-
Thanks so much for the link! I shared a part of the interview with DH, he is into religion and she had a neat point of view.

cajunmama, glad you liked the link. I adore Atwood and her very dry, dark sense of humour! ;)

Ell

I read Oryx and Crake in the span of about 24 hours. All I can say is ... wow...just wow. I can't wait to get another one of her novels.

yeah, Oryz and Crake was excellent. might be my favorite Atwood novel (since it falls into my favorite genre- post-apocalyptic )

I have just found her first Novel "The Edible Woman" in a charity shop - first published 1969. I'm trying to get all her books for a collection, I would have thought with all the charity shops I go to I would have found Oryx & Crake by now - must keep looking.

Mike-- Oryx and Crake is so good that people probably aren't willing to part with their copies just yet.

lies said:
I got Oryx and Crake at Waterstones in one of their cunning 3 for 2 schemes. I'm hoping to start it some time soon.
It took me about a year to finally start reading this book, but once I started, I couldn't really stop. I think when I get home I might just go on an Atwood spree. (If I have any money left, that is.)

Back