• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marmite

Ashlea

You crazy Brits have inspired me to investigate this odd substance, so I went to the international grocery, and purchased a very small jar of my very own.

As a side note, I should avoid the international grocery in the future, as I spent a lot of money without acquiring anything for dinner. But they had great prices on wine, really. Unfortunately, one of the bottles of wine broke as soon as I got it inside, but at least it was the cheaper one and my carpet seems to have been adequately Scotchgarded.

So I have toasted some bread, and am now ready to try this odd substance and share my impressions with you all.

Hmm, somewhat more solid and gelatin in appearance than I was expecting. Smells about as expected, though.

Spreading thinly, as recommended on the bottle.

Hmm. Odd. Pungent. Can't say I'd eat it on purpose. You aren't kidding me about it being good for me, right? Not improving on further exposure.

Ooh, hit a really thick patch there. I'm guessing it's that salty for a reason. Entire face is puckering up to prevent further exposure.

Yep, that is some foul shite you people are putting together over there.

Think I'll eat second piece of toast dry.

Tested on cat. He is licking up all the crumbs of toast but ignoring marmite-encrusted spoon after good sniffing. He is perhaps smarter than I generally give him credit for.

If you don't want the rest of the jar, then I'll have it. It's lovely stuff. Mmm, cheese and marmite sandwiches.

Update: Marmite worked much better on pita bread with strongly spiced hummus.

Cat still profoundly uninterested.

Hmm, with cheese you say? May have to try that.

A good strong cheddar, on white bread. And I always apply the marmite to the cheese rather than the bread. I find, with very fresh bread, that marmite can be a bit hard to spread to the desired thickness and you end up with lumps and bumps.

Ashlea said:
You crazy Brits have inspired me to investigate this odd substance, so I went to the international grocery, and purchased a very small jar of my very own.

As a side note, I should avoid the international grocery in the future, as I spent a lot of money without acquiring anything for dinner. But they had great prices on wine, really. Unfortunately, one of the bottles of wine broke as soon as I got it inside, but at least it was the cheaper one and my carpet seems to have been adequately Scotchgarded.

So I have toasted some bread, and am now ready to try this odd substance and share my impressions with you all.

Hmm, somewhat more solid and gelatin in appearance than I was expecting. Smells about as expected, though.

Spreading thinly, as recommended on the bottle.

Hmm. Odd. Pungent. Can't say I'd eat it on purpose. You aren't kidding me about it being good for me, right? Not improving on further exposure.

Ooh, hit a really thick patch there. I'm guessing it's that salty for a reason. Entire face is puckering up to prevent further exposure.

Yep, that is some foul shite you people are putting together over there.

Think I'll eat second piece of toast dry.

Tested on cat. He is licking up all the crumbs of toast but ignoring marmite-encrusted spoon after good sniffing. He is perhaps smarter than I generally give him credit for.

LOL

Try some twiglets! :D

Regards
Sillywabbit

Twiglets are disgusting. They're Satan's own nose picking sticks. Evil sticks of sin covered in wrong doing bogies.

SSSSSSSSSSST you fool! She will never try them if you tell her what they REALLY are!!!!!

Regards
Sillywabbit

Did not notice any Twiglets at the import grocery. Darn. Guess I can have a looksee the next time I go to the British import store. Wolf won't let me go much, though, as I tend to buy way too much tea.

Which reminds me, I haven't yet cracked open those Hob Nobs.

And based on y'all's excellent advice, I have requested that my mom pick up some jaffa cakes while in London.

Makes me laugh!!!

Shortbread biscuits are my favourite!! Yummy! Also Chocolate Digestive as well!!

Ashlea said:
And based on y'all's excellent advice, I have requested that my mom pick up some jaffa cakes while in London.

You mean you don't get those either :eek: I mean, there's nothing contraversial about jaffa cakes.

I don't like Jaffa Cakes. People look at me with an expression of horror when I say that. Oh alright, they look at me with an expression of horror even when I don't say that. :( But I just don't like them. The cake bit is like rubber sponge, the jelly is like aspic dyed orange with some sugar mixed in, and the chocolate is useless.

A chocolate Hobnob on the other hand...I would kill a person for a chocolate Hobnob. Maybe even two people.

When I was living in the US I found an import store and it saved my life. I was getting food parcels from my mum containing all the essentials, but they only last so long, and the chocolate situation was dire. I don't know what Hersheys really is, but it certainly isn't chocolate. There was one supermarket that sold Lindt nearby us, but by jinkies I wanted Smarties. I wanted Maltesers. I wanted Kinder Eggs. I needed Caramacs.

How about creme eggs? They are my absolute favourite. I wither away in the months between Easter and January, just waiting for them to return. How do you eat yours? I bite the top off and then take great delight in scooping all the creme out with my tongue. I guess it's a reversion to childhood or something.

I prefer to bite them in half along the join line and then scoop out the innards with my tongue. If I'm in polite company then I eat them your way. It's always a great day just after christmas, when the decorations in the supermarkets come down and the Easter eggs arrive. Galaxy truffle eggs are also good. I've tried the new Nestle ones, and they don't do it for me at all.

Back