• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mature Discussions

pontalba said:
I figure you've got it down pretty well, its um, others that I have me doubts about. :rolleyes:
You just won't forgive me for putting you onto "Tortilla Flat", will you. :D ;)

muggle said:
You just won't forgive me for putting you onto "Tortilla Flat", will you. :D ;)
LOL Muggle!
Well, I'd have to wouldn't I? After all you also put me onto Robicheaux, who btw, has a new one coming out pretty soon, if not already. :cool: :D

pontalba said:
LOL Muggle!
Well, I'd have to wouldn't I? After all you also put me onto Robicheaux, who btw, has a new one coming out pretty soon, if not already. :cool: :D
The new Robicheaux book is on my nightstand. I have about 80 pages to finish "Lost in A Good Book" by Jasper Fforde and then I will start the book. I really love all of James Lee Burke's books.

Is this not a mature discussion? :)

StillILearn said:
Robicheaux ? :confused: I must have missed this conversation. Who on earth is Robey-show?
:D The author is James Lee Burke. He writes an introspective New Orleans (south Louisiana)detective tough guy series. The main character is Dave Robicheaux. Its thanks to Muggle that I discovered this guy. :) :cool:

pontalba said:
:D The author is James Lee Burke. He writes an introspective New Orleans (south Louisiana)detective tough guy series. The main character is Dave Robicheaux. Its thanks to Muggle that I discovered this guy. :) :cool:
Aw shucks, I would do the same for one or two others. ;)

I am about 80 pages into the new book by Burke and really enjoy it. The book, Pegasus Descending, is ranked number 4 on the Wall Street Journal best sellers. And it has only been out maybe 2 or 3 weeks. Robicheaux rocks, and so does his buddy Clete.

On the strength of these recommendations (I mean, if you and pontalba both say so) I've just logged on to my local library and ordered one of Burke's later books (not the one you're reading though, muggle, not Pegasus Descending), but an earlier one. Should I really be reading them in order?

Maybe it is just me, but I like to read any series in order, so as to get to know the character as it evolves. This character Robicheaux is an extremely complex fellow, and needs to be appreciated in full, and the only way to do that is to know where he comes from both physically and emotionally.
JMO ;)
http://jamesleeburke.com/index.html
the order of publication is on the above site.

When I tried to read Grafton's series out of order I didn't care for it, but now I read 'em all. :)

pontalba said:
Maybe it is just me, but I like to read any series in order, so as to get to know the character as it evolves. This character Robicheaux is an extremely complex fellow, and needs to be appreciated in full, and the only way to do that is to know where he comes from both physically and emotionally.
JMO ;)
http://jamesleeburke.com/index.html
the order of publication is on the above site.

When I tried to read Grafton's series out of order I didn't care for it, but now I read 'em all. :)
I agree with pontalba. Please start from the beginning, if possible, to fully appreciate Robicheaux. However, please recognize that his writing isn't quite as good in the earlier books although the stories are great. I have read all his books and liked them all.

pontalba said:
Maybe it is just me, but I like to read any series in order, so as to get to know the character as it evolves.

Of course you're right. I already know this from experience. :eek: I'm reading all the Carole Nelson Douglas Irene books in any which order, and it's really kind of all catty whompus that way, although I'm still enjoying them immensely.

This was my rationale:

However, please recognize that his writing isn't quite as good in the earlier books although the stories are great. I have read all his books and liked them all.

Thaks for the heads-up! :)

I'll probably go back and read them in order. I love finding a new author!

Back