• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

May 2009: Kazuo Ishiguro: The Remains of the Day

Sweet. This is my first time participating in a book of the month discussion, so I'm stoked :) Unfortunately I'm not as far into the book as I'd like to be, so I'll hold off on comments of substance until later...

Sweet. This is my first time participating in a book of the month discussion, so I'm stoked :) Unfortunately I'm not as far into the book as I'd like to be, so I'll hold off on comments of substance until later...

Glad you are on board,I started it last night.

I read the brief write up on this book here and then felt inspired to check it out at my local library. I sat down and read the prologue and have to say that I really like how it is written. Unless a formal structure is his usual style, Ishiguro did a good job of writing through the perspective of a respectful, dignified butler. The written style is as smooth as butter and just as rich.

So? Who's in? Who wants to start this up? :whistling:

Why don't we start this by talking about Stevens? Stevens spends much of the opening illustrating what the things that defines a great butler. His ideal of butler results in his supression of emotion.

Why don't we start this by talking about Stevens? Stevens spends much of the opening illustrating what the things that defines a great butler. His ideal of butler results in his supression of emotion.

Suppression of negative emotion perhaps. He evidently believes there is something to be said about stoic resoluteness in the face of bad behavior.

They wear their professonalism as a decent gentleman will wear his suit: he will not let ruffians or circumstance tear it off him in the public gaze; he will discard it when, and only when, he wills to do so, and this will invariably be when he is entirely alone. It is, as I say, a matter of 'dignity.'
(page 43)

Slights and pointedness are to be dealt with silently. Perhaps mistreating a butler would lead a given person to become considered to be less than a gentleman among his/her neighbors at that time, though disrespect to a certain degree may be expected with the postion perhaps.

Suppression of negative emotion perhaps. He evidently believes there is something to be said about stoic resoluteness in the face of bad behavior.

(page 43)

Slights and pointedness are to be dealt with silently. Perhaps mistreating a butler would lead a given person to become considered to be less than a gentleman among his/her neighbors at that time, though disrespect to a certain degree may be expected with the postion perhaps.

Not just negative emotion. What about his whole deal with Miss Kenton? He was clearly suppressing something there, so concerned with remaining dignified and a great, loyal butler that acting on, or even admitting to himself, his feelings for her was out of the question. As I was reading it, before it'd really dawned on me that he had feelings for her, I was struck by the way he spoke to her, provoking her and being so harsh.

As I read it (and correct me if anyone disagrees), his endeavor to be a great butler and serve his employers completely stifled any emotional expression at all, and in doing so, eliminated life choices that might have brought him away from serving the house.

Not just negative emotion. What about his whole deal with Miss Kenton? He was clearly suppressing something there, so concerned with remaining dignified and a great, loyal butler that acting on, or even admitting to himself, his feelings for her was out of the question. As I was reading it, before it'd really dawned on me that he had feelings for her, I was struck by the way he spoke to her, provoking her and being so harsh.

As I read it (and correct me if anyone disagrees), his endeavor to be a great butler and serve his employers completely stifled any emotional expression at all, and in doing so, eliminated life choices that might have brought him away from serving the house.

I agree. He likes Miss Kenton, but won't admit to himself. He has also supressed his feelings about his father.

I know I am going a bit back but,I did like the comparison of his English employer to his American employer and the different styles of manner in which they acted.I sensed that he found his English employer more with class and a more proper way of employer/emploee relations.

I know I am going a bit back but,I did like the comparison of his English employer to his American employer and the different styles of manner in which they acted.I sensed that he found his English employer more with class and a more proper way of employer/emploee relations.

I wonder if the hierarchy of gentlemen has something to do it?

What do you mean?

Stevens is somewhat of an anachronism. His ideals regarding what is a proper gentelman starts with the idea that an Englishman gentelman is better then a foreign gentlman, a gentleman is better then businessman, some houses are more prestigious then others. He would without thought put an englishman before an american gentleman.

^^LOL

It does sound a bit snooty but it's the only way he knew and along comes this bantering American.

^^LOL

It does sound a bit snooty but it's the only way he knew and along comes this bantering American.

I should have been specific. I was speaking of an exchange between Stevens the idiot and Miss Kenton. I don't wish to be more specific because it's near the end of the story and I don't wish to spoil it for others.

I should have been specific. I was speaking of an exchange between Stevens the idiot and Miss Kenton. I don't wish to be more specific because it's near the end of the story and I don't wish to spoil it for others.

Yes,you should have.lol

Back