• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Morning Lark or Night Owl?

Kookamoor

Are you a morning lark (go to bed early, get up early) or a night owl (stay up late, get up late)? Which do you *want* to be?

I'm, unfortunately, a night owl. My job (grad student and researcher) allows me to keep my own hours and while I'd like these to be mornings, that would require me to go to bed much earlier than I do. My partner is one of the latest night owls I've ever met, and if I ever hope to see him I have to conform somewhat to his schedule.

What about you? What are you, what is your partner/family? What do you want to be? Is it possible to change, or is it in your nature?

I'm a morning lark, I guess. I go to bed early compared to my other friends, and for the life of me I cannot sleep in. Once I'm awake, I'm awake. I'm also good at waking up as in I don't get a foggy head or feel groggy and such when I wake up.

I guess I would rather be a night owl - I would love a sleep in every once in awhile! - but I think that I get more things done this way. Plus, I get more time for reading before school :D

I'm a night owl and no matter how hard I try I can't change my ways. I was always late for school then late for work. I come from a long line of late sleepers and my son is like me as well, but my hubby being a military man is an early bird. He gets up at crazy hours of the morning and seems ok with it.

the committe at the TEMPLE TIMECUBE have determined that this thread is complicit not only in the perpetuation of unnatural, non-cubic time, but also the denial of the earth's 4-day rotation. participation in this thread is tantamount to extinction. any attempt to refute our unrefutable claims will be met with the harshest reprimand.

Ronny said:
I was always late for school then late for work.
Sounds a lot like me :D I'm late for everything, just like my whole family. I think that it's a big family thing - all the large families that I know are always late like me.

I'm a night owl. If I have to, I can get up early, but then I'm grumbly for an hour. This is not very pleasant for other people ;). But it's my nature, unfortunately I can't change it.

I'm a morning guy, although I would hesitate to to say lark. But I get out of bed pretty easily around 5:00 - 6:00 am and have done it all my adult life. I stagger around a bit at first, but it gets much much better after a cup of coffee. For nights, fuhgeddaboudit! After 9:00 is borrowed time for me.

Peder

I'm a forced morning lark, but I am okay with it. Once I'm awake, I'm up for the day, so no big deal. Most of my kids are early risers, therefore, so am I. I'm not grumpy right when I wake up, I just don't like being talked to or expected to talk, at least until about halfway through my first cuppa. I like to sleep in once in a while, though ( not like the kids ever let me :mad: :p) I can stay up pretty late, if I want too, like if I'm reading a really good book, but mostly, about 10 o'clock, my eyes start to droop.

i am a definate night owl...but i still have to get up at least by 7 every morning.....i can function on approx. 5hrs of sleep.....sort of... :p

When I am able to set my own schedule...

I will wake at around 10:00, take a nap at around 3:00, and go to bed at 4:00am!

definitely a night owl!

mornings suck!

leckert said:
When I am able to set my own schedule...

I will wake at around 10:00, take a nap at around 3:00, and go to bed at 4:00am!

definitely a night owl!

mornings suck!

Wow, that would kill me. :eek: Definitely an early bird here. 5:30-6:00 a.m. is what I love. Nice and dark before the sun rises, don't know why, but that's when I feel that I can get a lot done. After 9:00 p.m., I'm worthless. ;)

SFG75 said:
Wow, that would kill me. :eek: Definitely an early bird here. 5:30-6:00 a.m. is what I love. Nice and dark before the sun rises, don't know why, but that's when I feel that I can get a lot done. After 9:00 p.m., I'm worthless. ;)

If I'm going fishing, I'm up and on the water before sunrise. There is something oddly peaceful and relaxing about being up that early.

I just couldn't do it on a regular schedule! Much easier to get up when I don't have to!

(I think Franklin said something like "you can measure how much a man likes what he does by how early he gets out of bed in the moring.")

Morning Lark, my work keeps me that way. On days I work I must wake up at 5:30 am and be there at 6:30. Then on days I'm not working I still wake up early out of habit. I miss being a night owl like I was in college though I do get much more done now.

i just love sleep when i can get it, but i would say if i didn't have kids i would be a night owl. unfortunately my kids are morning people.

jenngorham said:
i just love sleep when i can get it, but i would say if i didn't have kids i would be a night owl. unfortunately my kids are morning people.

And that, my friends, is Karma!

I'm a night owl. Which isn't very practical when having to attend classes at university. Thankfully this semester they're no earlier than 10.15 so that's a bit of a life saver. But I much prefer to go to bed between 4 and 6 AM and get up around noon, so my night-owlish tendencies have to be curbed to a certain degree. Sometimes it fails and I go to bed at 5 having to get up at 8.30 and then university classes seem strangely longer than usual :p

I work better at night though. Much much better. Has to do both with my night owlishness and with living next to a highly trafficked road on which the traffic quiets down at night.

Both I think, i'm a bit of an insomniac so I only get about3/4 hours sleep every night.

Best sleep i ever got was during my uni days - all those long classes gave me ample time to catch up on sleep.

I think i'd have to agree with you Jem, i tend to work better during the night hours.

Back