• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most Disappointing Authors?

Phillip K. Dick.

I was trying to read Lies, Inc. and I couldn't even get past like 5 chapters. It was so confusing and stupid-- the author didn't give you any background, didn't know what the hell he was thinking and why, etc.

I hated it. But I only picked up his book because I'd heard he was very good. This was when I was a lot younger though. I may give it a shot now.

Dan Brown, James Frey, J.K. Rowling. They're not Dissappointing--they're a disgrace.

And 90 percent of the published authors.

Add Anne Rice to that list.

eyez0nme said:
Dan Brown, James Frey, J.K. Rowling. They're not Dissappointing--they're a disgrace.

And 90 percent of the published authors.

Add Anne Rice to that list.

Devil's Advocate here, and I'm curious: did you read all of the published authors and tally up the disappointments, or are you making a wild, unsupportable extrapolation based on incredibly limited sampling?

I tried reading Henry Miller a while back and I just couldn't get into it. I think it was Tropic of Capricorn. It opened up with a reference to itchy armpits. For some reason the page just wouldn't turn. I pulled and pulled but it resisted. So I put it down. Then I sold it.

I think I had a similar experience with Anais Nin. But I rarely remember my bad experiences.

...and I haven't yet delved into the copy of Left Behind given to me by a very religious relative. Maybe I'll risj it and take the plunge... :p

Clive Barker's first few books were great and I thought he would be the next Stephen King. But alas, he hasn't written anything worth reading in years

The next Stephen King? They are completely different; you could tell that in Barker's early work. Barker has a better grasp of words.

Galilee was Barker's last good work; Coldheart Canyon was rather piss. I hope his new collection of short fiction is a return to form.

Hmm...a lot of people replied to this one.
I found Laurell K. Hamilton to be disappointing, because she started out in Anita Blake with an amazing world and wonderful characters. Then she turned Anita into a slut and a psychopath.
Also disappointing was Ernest Hemingway. I hate the man...I had expected to love A Farewell to Arms and I was bored to tears. The charcters were dry and unbelievable, the dialogue was terrible, the plotline was boring and there was a whole chapter on horse racing that had nothing to do with the rest of the novel. And the man took too much info from his own life. Sorry to offend any Hemingway fans, but I think he is way overrated.

Inderjit S said:
Lord of the Rings boring and long? It was too short in my opinion!

I was dissapointed with Jane Austen. She was just plain boring. There are so many other romance novesl which I enjoyed more, but each to his own eh.
I agree. Jane Austen isn't nearly as great as she's made out to be. I should have added her to my list as well.

Disappointing Authors

So, you've been hearing about a certain author for months—or maybe even years. Not only is there general hype, but credible sources have recommended this author. However, when you finally get around to reading the author, the books are a huge disappointment. Has this ever happened to you? Which authors and books?

So, you've been hearing about a certain author for months—or maybe even years. Not only is there general hype, but credible sources have recommended this author. However, when you finally get around to reading the author, the books are a huge disappointment. Has this ever happened to you? Which authors and books?

I've merged this thread with a previous discussion on the same topic. I am again requesting that you do a search before creating a new thread.

The Da Vinci Code. I shouldn't really call it a "huge disappointment" since I enjoyed the book, but it was far from being the best book I've ever read. Otherwise I don't recall being massively disappointed after reading a book. I guess I remember the good ones too much.

Back