• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most Disappointing Authors?

NessaC

There's probably a thread for this already, but just curious...think of something that you thought would be good but turned out to be a disappointment:

An American Tragedy -- Theodore Dreisher (spelling?)
Dry, dull, and reminded me of a hollywood script, a bad one, or maybe Disney.

I think someone will be outraged and try to kill me for this but here it goes: William Faulkner. I read a couple of his books in translation and found them really boring. I blamed the translator and later tried them again in English. I still found them boring. Now I learnt my lesson and, if I don’t like a book, I will not try another one by the same author.

I know so many people like him, so let me apologize now. These are my opinions only!

Robert Jordan.

Everyone RAVED about the Wheel of Time books. Said they were some of the best fantasy books out there and if I loved the Sword of Truth ones (which I did), I'd love WoT.

So I checked one out and began to read and what a yawn! Needless to say, I most likely won't be continuing on in the series.

*ducks*

J. R.R. Toilken. Sure, I enjoyed "The Hobbit" but the rest of his books bored me to tears, I couldn't even finish The Fellowship of the Ring.

Hollis said:
Robert Jordan.

Everyone RAVED about the Wheel of Time books. Said they were some of the best fantasy books out there and if I loved the Sword of Truth ones (which I did), I'd love WoT.

So I checked one out and began to read and what a yawn! Needless to say, I most likely won't be continuing on in the series.

*ducks*

I'll be joining you under that table in a moment... I couldn't get through the Wheel of Time books at all. I liked the Sword of Truth a lot, too. But I found Jordan's never-ending series a bore.

Tolkein... yeah.... I read the Lord of the Rings... Wasn't easy, but I did it. I made sure to read it *before* I watched the movies, too. He might be rated as the 'father of fantasy', but I don't like his style at all. I appreciate him for breaking some new ground, but I think his talents have been surpassed by more modern authors who can spin a far more complex and interesting tale.

Pearl said:
J. R.R. Toilken. Sure, I enjoyed "The Hobbit" but the rest of his books bored me to tears, I couldn't even finish The Fellowship of the Ring.

Ditto. :)

It's not that I couldn't finish The Fellowship... it's just that I didn't care for the characters and forgot about them.

Oh, gee, there are so many! I agree about Jordan, I got through #3 and gave up when I looked at the B&N reviews and found out there are 15 of them or something and that the plots were still going on without resolution.

I'd have to say Hemingway was a disappointment. Maybe they're too macho for me.

Great Expectations. I know, it's a classic, and it's Dickens, but my goodness, I've started it about five times and still haven't ever made it even halfway through. The plot's mildly interesting, but it's so slow!

C.P. Snow. One of the most prolific English writers of the 50s and 60s. Verbose as all get-out and pointless with it. An exercise in sleeping while reading.

ladyjune98 said:
Great Expectations. I know, it's a classic, and it's Dickens, but my goodness, I've started it about five times and still haven't ever made it even halfway through. The plot's mildly interesting, but it's so slow!

Do you know this is the only Dickens I ever read? I actually quite liked it... but it took quite an effort. Mind you, I didn't like the women in it at all - they were generally so flakey (a few exceptions, mind you). Bluk! I don't usually like 'old' literature such as this. I find it very difficult to get into, what with having to translate what they're saying into something comprehensible (did people really talk like this?!). And don't even get me started on the double/triple negatives that are flying around.

I earnestly tried to get through Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, but it was an effort, and it's still sitting by the bed half read. I had to move onto something more comprehensible. I should clarify that this doesn't make these authors 'disappointing', I just find their style difficult.

Stewart said:
Ditto. :)

It's not that I couldn't finish The Fellowship... it's just that I didn't care for the characters and forgot about them.

Yes indeed, the LOTR trilogy is over rated. It's boring and extremley long. The Hobbit on the other hand is amazing :)

I agree! The Hobbit was the most brilliant piece of writing ever. He made it so much fun to read that I was upset when it ended.

Joshua said:
Yes indeed, the LOTR trilogy is over rated. It's boring and extremley long. The Hobbit on the other hand is amazing :)

Hvae you tried The Silmarllion (sp?)? I too loved The Hobbit and disliked LOTR but I tried the Silmarillion and enjoyed it despite the odd style of writting.

Hi all, I'm new here.

Most dissappointing author, hmm. . . Margaret Georges.

She's fictionalizing the lives of some of the most intriguing women in history, and if one finds that exciting (I do), then she seems like a great pick. Then you start reading, and guess what? All the interest revolves around the male lead :sigh: and the romance isn't even very good.

I read Cleopatra's Memoirs and barely made it through Caesar, but I decided to suck it up and continue. It was hard to believe when the Marc Antony chapters proved to be worse.

So I gave her another chance with Mary, Called Magdalene. Good grief, the New Testament is more fascinating.

Besides her, well, I'm really trying to like Diana Galbadon, but I haven't been able to get into her books yet.

I'm similar to you lot - Loved the Hobbit but LOTR was like wading through treacle. Gave up about halfway through

Lord of the Rings boring and long? It was too short in my opinion!

I was dissapointed with Jane Austen. She was just plain boring. There are so many other romance novesl which I enjoyed more, but each to his own eh.

Agatha Christie....I find Poirot and Miss Marple so annoying that its hard to enjoy the mysteries. Additionally, while her mysteries are often ingenious, she isn't a very good storyteller. I much prefer the lesser well-known Dorothy L. Sayers.

Inderjit S said:
Lord of the Rings boring and long? It was too short in my opinion!

You're like my friend then, he reads that book atleast five times a year from the introduction to the end. :eek:

Inderjit S said:
I was dissapointed with Jane Austen. She was just plain boring.

I tried reading P&P but I just couldn't get through the first ten pages, every woman I know was like "Are you insane? She's the best author around!" I don't think she's the 'best' I think she just paved the way for other female authors and proved that women CAN write books.

Back