• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most popular words in the english language

Jenem

kickbox
This site should be interesting to all us bookworms. WordCount

Interesting is the 1,057th most used word in the english language.
Bookworm is 78,961!

It's interesting to see at which point you find the majority of words you don't know.

Quite surprised to find that man ranks 142 while woman ranks 393...

Tartan is ranked 16830. Just a few more than baggy.. :D

And the least used word is... conquistador! Tomorrow I'll see how many times I can work that into a conversation.... :D

I could do that all day. Fascinating.

Interesting: "he" is #15, "she" is #30, but "him" is 60, while "her" is 36. "His" is 27, "Hers" is 3613.

So, are subjects more likely to be male, objects female? Are men more likely to own something?

I don't want to make this a huge feminist debate or anything, but the discrepancies are odd, especially in the possessive, that's a big difference.

Ashlea said:

Interesting: "he" is #15, "she" is #30, but "him" is 60, while "her" is 36. "His" is 27, "Hers" is 3613.

So, are subjects more likely to be male, objects female? Are men more likely to own something?

I don't want to make this a huge feminist debate or anything, but the discrepancies are odd, especially in the possessive, that's a big difference.

Ashlea, I like your pointing these out. It is really interesting to notice that!! :)

Ashlea said:

Yes, it is pretty interesting stuff. :) I wonder how the list was compiled? Perhaps that info is divulged somewhere in the site.
*edited to add "DUH, it's in the ABOUT WORDCOUNT on the main page!!!" :eek:

I don't mean to stoke the fires of the feminist debate, but in addition to the points you mention I'd be remiss if I didn't add that there is no counterpart/antonym for the word "misogynist" (49,103) in the english language. I guess that could be taken either way...

I'm thinking it's British in origin, seems to slant that way. They don't mention where exactly they're getting the info from, would be interesting to find out.

From the About page it says:

WordCount data currently comes from the British National Corpus®, a 100 million word collection of samples of written and spoken language from a wide range of sources, designed to represent an accurate cross-section of current English usage. WordCount includes all words that occur at least twice in the BNC®. In the future, WordCount will be modified to track word usage within any desired text, website, and eventually the entire Internet.

Perhaps they need to re-check the BNC for procrastinate and prolixity. They've included only the frist 86,800 words, but to not find those 2 in that first 86,800 words must be an error

This site is almost awesome (13052) Sapper is ranked 59807! but i'm sad becuase smegma and callipygian are not in the system... :(

Back