• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Music From An Era

muggle

Is there music from any specific Era that you prefer over others. Each Era has had its differences, not totally though, and I like some songs from most Era's. My least favorite would have to be music from the 1990's and 2000's. The mood seems to change drastically as we move up through the years starting from the 1930's and on until today.

What are some of the songs/music that you enjoy from the different Era's.

I suppose one likes most the music we grew up listening to early on in life. I grew up on Mario Lanza and Peggy Lee. So I'd have to say the Big Band Era, oh and don't forget Dean Martin.
Plus I still have my mother's old 78 RPMs.
Theres not too much I like after 1980. I prefer to understand the lyrics. :eek:

I suppose you can just look at the last.fm link in my signature to see the answer to this.

I would probably agree with Pontalba, in that I love 80s, which is when I was growing up. Then again, 70s are good too, and 60s marginally less. Certain songs from the 90s I like too, but very few, and the same with the er.. noughties?

I've just spent a few minutes feeling very confused at that last.fm site, and haven't heard of most of the artists on that profile :confused:

steffee said:
I've just spent a few minutes feeling very confused at that last.fm site, and haven't heard of most of the artists on that profile :confused:

Ach, it spans the 60s to present day. :)

It's an eclectic mix. :D

So that list, with Johnny Cash at the top, and Bjork a little further down and The Divine Comedy(!) and Nine Inch Nails and Lauryn Hill :eek: :eek: etc etc, are those artists in order of your preference, or the whole crowd, or what? It's the '200' bit after Johnny Cash's name that throws me :confused:

I like music from every era. I love Renaissance choral music, Gregorian chants, Handel's Watermusik, early 20th century French piano music.

I love early jazz, like Bix Beiderbeck, Benny Goodman. I love St. John's Infirmary Blues. From the 40s I love Artie Shaw, Louis Armstrong. There's so much great stuff from the 50's--Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, early Dizzy Gillespie, into the 60s with Coltrane and Sonny Rollins. And that's just jazz and just a few people.

When I was little I heard a lot of Johnny Cash's Blood, Sweat & Tears, Gershwin, Irish music, Simon and Garfunkel, The Monkees. When I was an adolescent everone I knew wanted to play Hey Joe and The Wind Cried Mary like Hendrix. Serious electric guitar era. Love all that. It's hard to separate some music from memory.

From the 80s I love the Ramones, Blondie, Joe Jackson, Yaz (yeah, remember them?), the Tom Tom Club, Talking Heads--though I didn't like most of the canned pop sounds from the 80s. Who was that German instrumental group that was played on an endless loop and resurfaced last year in a remix? Stewart? Something like Triad?

I love Bob Dylan, Cobain, Beck, Moby, Neil Young, Lucinda Williams, Cowboy Junkies, Aimee Mann. And all the newgrass peeps like Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush. And the old dudes like Doc Watson, Bill Monroe, Vassar Clements, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Lemon Jefferson.

To me, there's really no one era that has 'my music.' I love Fred Astaire on New Year's Eve, early Dead for long drives, Neil Young when I'm alone . . .

There have been years when I've tuned out what's happening in the musical universe, but I always find my way back in. Resist generalizations, resist categories. It's only human to gravitate to the familiar, but it's also very limiting. That's what I think.

steffee said:
So that list, with Johnny Cash at the top, and Bjork a little further down and The Divine Comedy(!) and Nine Inch Nails and Lauryn Hill :eek: :eek: etc etc, are those artists in order of your preference, or the whole crowd, or what? It's the '200' bit after Johnny Cash's name that throws me :confused:

The number relates to how many songs by the artist I've listened to.

Don't know if you can listen to the MileStyle Radio to hear it, though. Or if you'd want to. Beats the crap on BBC1.

pontalba said:
I suppose one likes most the music we grew up listening to early on in life. I grew up on Mario Lanza and Peggy Lee. So I'd have to say the Big Band Era, oh and don't forget Dean Martin.
Plus I still have my mother's old 78 RPMs.
Theres not too much I like after 1980. I prefer to understand the lyrics. :eek:

pontalba, I was an acquaintance of the guy that played trumpet on Peggy Lee's album....Fever. I was on assignment in New York city and staying at the Middletown Hotel. Directly across from me was Basin Street East where Peggy Lee and many others played. To kill time in the evenings I sometimes :) would have a few beers and play "skill" pool in a place called the World's Fair Bar. The orchestra from BSE would come in during intermission and challenge me to a game. why me, because I was the champ. :D

muggle said:
pontalba, I was an acquaintance of the guy that played trumpet on Peggy Lee's album....Fever. I was on assignment in New York city and staying at the Middletown Hotel. Directly across from me was Basin Street East where Peggy Lee and many others played. To kill time in the evenings I sometimes :) would have a few beers and play "skill" pool in a place called the World's Fair Bar. The orchestra from BSE would come in during intermission and challenge me to a game. why me, because I was the champ. :D
Verra Cool!
I love to play pool, but admit I play poorly..:eek:

I will list "some" of the music that was popular from an Era starting with the 20's and hopefully some of you will comment on the music.

THE JAZZ AGE (1920-1930)

*Louis Armstrong........... "When the Saints Go Marching In" Decca 1938
Gene Austin.................... "Bye Bye Blackbird" Victor 1926
Ben Bernie Orchestra ........"Sweet Georgia Brown" Vocalion 1925
Eddie Cantor.................... "Makin' Whoopee" Victor 1929
Hoagy Carmichael.............. "Star Dust" Gennett 1928
The Carter Family ............."Can the Circle Be Unbroken" ARC 1935
Vernon Dalhart................ "The Prisoner's Song" Victor 1924
Arthur Gibbs & Gang.......... "Charleston" Victor 1924
W.C. Handy ....................."St. Louis Blues" Okeh 1923
Al Jolson ........................."Swanee" Columbia 1920
Billy Jones ......................."Yes We Have No Bananas" Edison 1923
Isham Jones Orchestra ......."It Had to Be You" Brunswick 1924
Helen Kane....................... "I Wanna Be Loved By You" Victor 1928
Jelly Roll Morton ................ "King Porter Stomp" Gennett 1923
Jimmie Rodgers .................."Blue Yodel (T for Texas)" Victor 1930
Ben Selvin Orchestra........... "Happy Days Are Here Again" Columbia 1930
Bessie Smith ..................... "Down Hearted Blues" Columbia 1923
Whisperin' Jack Smith .........."Me and My Shadow" Victor 1927
Fats Waller ........................"Ain't Misbehavin'" Victor 1929
Paul Whiteman Orchestra...... "Whispering" Victor 1920

I think it is amazing that some of the music is still played today.

Boy oh boy! So many of my favorites! They are so ingrained in my memory, I don't even think about them. If that makes any kind of sense at All!

Ben Bernie Orchestra ........"Sweet Georgia Brown" Vocalion 1925
Hoagy Carmichael.............. "Star Dust" Gennett 1928
Isham Jones Orchestra ......."It Had to Be You" Brunswick 1924 **
Fats Waller ........................"Ain't Misbehavin'" Victor 1929

** really, really favorite.

Wasn't it Peggy Lee that sang Tangerine? I remember a 33 1/3 rpm that had that and some of the old Della Reese songs.....great stuff. Boy, could Della belt 'em out or what!? And I Get No Kick Form Champagne...is that actually the title...? Anyway its in the lyrics at any rate. The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane. LOL!

And have you heard any of the Phil Harris albums? F-u-n-n-y...! The Thing?:D :D :D

But I cried when he sang St. James Infirmiry.

I used to love Phil Harris. Every time I see one of the bears in my backy yard it reminds me of his song. "The preacher And The Bear".

The preacher went out a huntin', it was on one Sunday morn'
It was against his religion, but he took a shotgun along
He got himself a mess a' mighty fine quail and one old scraggly hare
And on the way home he crossed the path of a Great big grizzly bear

Well the bear got down lookin' ready to charge
The preacher never seen nothin' quite that large
They looked each other right smack in the eye
Didn't take that preacher long to say bye
The preacher he run till he spotted a tree
He said "up in that tree's where I auta be"
By the time that bear made a grab for him
The preacher was a sittin' on top a that limb
Scared to death, he tuned about
He looked to the sky and began to shout,

Chorus;
Hey lord, you delivered Daniel from the bottom of the lion's den
You delivered Joana, from the belly of the whale and then,
The Hebrew children from the fiery furnace so the good books do declare
Hey lord, if you can't help me, for goodness sake don't help that bear

qqu2ck.jpg
Lazy Bear

ROTFALOL!! I'd forgotten about that one! There was another one with a tree that the singer didn't want cut down because it was the only tree that his wife couldn't climb when she was angry! :D :D

70's rock. Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, Clapton.....certainly more enjoyable than the stuff I hear now on the radio.:eek:

THE GREAT DEPRESSION (1930-1940)

Roy Acuff ........................."Wabash Cannonball" Vocalion 1938
Marian Anderson ................"Ave Maria" Victor 1937
Fred Astaire ......................"Night and Day" Victor 1932
Gene Autry ......................."Back in the Saddle Again" Vocalion 1938
Count Basie ......................."One O'Clock Jump" Decca 1937
Sidney Bechet ...................."Summertime" Blue Note 1939
The Boswell Sisters .............."Alexander's Ragtime Band" Brunswick 1935
Cab Calloway ......................"Minnie the Moocher" Brunswick 1931
Bing Crosby.........................."Pennies From Heaven" Decca 1936
Jimmie Davis......................... "You Are My Sunshine" Decca 1940
Judy Garland....................... "Over the Rainbow" Decca 1939
Benny Goodman................... "Sing Sing Sing" Victor 1938
Bob Hope/Shirley Ross .......... "Thanks for the Memory" Decca 1939
Robert Johnson .................... "Cross Road Blues" Columbia 1936
Cole Porter .......................... "You're the Top" Victor 1935
Harry Richman........................ "Puttin' on the Ritz" Brunswick 1930
Kate Smith ............................"God Bless America" Victor 1939
Sons of the Pioneers ..............."Tumbling Tumbleweeds" Decca 1934
Art Tatum ............................."Tea for Two" Decca 1939
Shirley Temple ........................"On the Good Ship Lollipop" 20th Cent.Fox 1934
Rudy Vallee............................."Brother Can You Spare a Dime" Brunswick 1932

Certainly a great lot of music from the 20's - 40's. Have you heard of Flanagan and Allen, Muggle? They were English and sang through World War II. " Underneath The Arches" was one of their songs.

Back