• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Music From An Era

Poppy1 said:
Certainly a great lot of music from the 20's - 40's. Have you heard of Flanagan and Allen, Muggle? They were English and sang through World War II. " Underneath The Arches" was one of their songs.
I have a (3) CD Set titled World War 2 Favorites that has one song by Flannigan & Allen:

"We're Gonna Hang Out The Washing On The Siegfried Line".

The set also includes some songs by Vera Lynn including:

A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square
The White Cliffs Of Dover
When The Lights Go On Again
We'll Meet Again

I bought the set on ebay for about $5 and it was one of my best buys.:)

I've bought a lot of this type of music on tapes, but have now worn them out so am going to have to change to CDs.

Poppy1 said:
I've bought a lot of this type of music on tapes, but have now worn them out so am going to have to change to CDs.
I also have a lot of music on tapes and to make matters worse my tape deck is broken and cannot be fixed at a reasonable cost. I hate to buy a new tape deck when everything nowadays is on CD. :(

I prefer alternative music from the 80's and 90's. Some of the new bands are good, like Interpol and The Killers. The rest of it... bleh. Apart from that, it depends on the artist and how good I think he/she is.

Moving on to another Era. There really is some nice music in all Era's.

THE SWING ERA / THE WAR YEARS (1940-1950)

The Andrews Sisters ..............."Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" Decca 1941
Eddy Arnold .........................."Cattle Call" Bluebird 1945
Gene Autry ............................."Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" Columbia 1949
Les Brown .............................."Sentimental Journey" Columbia 1945
The Chuck Wagon Gang.............. "I'll Fly Away" Columbia 1948
Francis Craig Orchestra ............ "Near You" Bullet 1947
*Bing Crosby ............................"White Christmas" Decca 1942
Cliff Edwards ............................"When You Wish Upon a Star" Victor 1940
Duke Ellington ..........................."Take the A Train" Victor 1941
The Fairfield Four ...................... "Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around" Bullet 1947
Ella Fitzgerald ............................"A Tisket A Tasket" Decca 1938
Dizzy Gillespie ............................"Salt Peanuts" Guild 1945
Woody Guthrie ..........................."This Land Is Your Land" Asch 1947
Coleman Hawkins........................ "Body and Soul" Bluebird 1940
Billie Holiday .............................."God Bless the Child" Okeh 1941
Billie Holiday ..............................."Strange Fruit" Commodore 1939
John Lee Hooker........................ "Boogie Chillun" Modern 1948
Lena Horne ................................"Stormy Weather" Victor 1943
The Ink Spots ............................"If I Didn't Care" Decca 1939
Mahalia Jackson ........................."Move on Up a Little Higher" Apollo 1948
Leadbelly................................... "Goodnight Irene" Capitol 1944
Roy Rogers/Dale Evans ................ "Happy Trails" RCA Victor 1951
Johnny Mercer ............................"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" Capitol 1946
Glenn Miller ................................"In the Mood" Bluebird 1939
The Mills Brothers........................ "Paper Doll Decca 1943
Thelonius Monk .........................."Around Midnight" Blue Note 1948
Bill Monroe ................................"Blue Moon of Kentucky" Columbia 1945
Vaughn Monroe .........................."(Ghost) Riders in the Sky" RCA Victor 1949
Charlie Parker Sextet................... "Ornithology" Dial 1946
Alvino Ray ................................."Deep in the Heart of Texas" Bluebird 1942
Artie Shaw ................................"Begin the Beguine" Bluebird 1938
Bob Wills .................................. "New San Antonio Rose" Okeh 1940
cast recording ............................Oklahoma! Decca 1943
cast recording............................ South Pacific Columbia 1949

My mother told me that my father wanted to name me Irene on account of that song! LOL He Didn't!

Regarding Oklahoma, I love them all, but ya gotta admit that Poor Judd is Dead has to be one of the funniest, deadpan (pun intended? hmmm) songs you've ever heard! :D

pontalba said:
My mother told me that my father wanted to name me Irene on account of that song! LOL He Didn't!
Regarding Oklahoma, I love them all, but ya gotta admit that Poor Judd is Dead has to be one of the funniest, deadpan (pun intended? hmmm) songs you've ever heard! :D
hehehe, what is wrong with the name Irene. I like it. When I was a little kid, 8 or 9 yrs old, I had a crush on a girl with that name and bought her a pocket knife for Christmas. I laugh every time I think of it.:)

muggle said:
hehehe, what is wrong with the name Irene. I like it. When I was a little kid, 8 or 9 yrs old, I had a crush on a girl with that name and bought her a pocket knife for Christmas. I laugh every time I think of it.:)
I think my mother knew some she disliked intensely that was named Irene. :rolleyes: My father knew when he was beaten! LOL

I never got over grunge.

I like the way some types of music define an era or an event - like The Doors and Vietnam. I love the bit in Jarhead when someone hears music and says something like, 'That's Vietnam music, why can't we get our own music?'.

Back