• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My Dear Father is Dieing...

The dreadful words finally came out of the doctor's mouth, There is Nothing Else We Can Do.

Now we (my mom, older brother and me) have to make to final decision: (1) keep him alive in a Hospice (until he dies...slowly), or (2) unplug the machines.

I asked the doctor (more than once I think) if my father was suffering right now. He told me he might be...or...he might not be. He did not know the answer because even doctors can't magically communicate with unresponsive patients. So I asked him the same question but in another manner, So He Might Be Suffering Longer (at Hospice) if We Don't Pull the Plug? He was vague in his reply.

I do not, for a nanosecond, want my dad to suffer more than he needs to. So my choice, a hard one indeed, is to give him mercy and take him off the machines ASAP.

I thought one of the 'perks' of having hospice care was that they were able to give better/stronger pain meds than is allowed if the goal is to prolong the patient's life. Tough call though. Praying for you and your family in this terrible time.

I thought one of the 'perks' of having hospice care was that they were able to give better/stronger pain meds than is allowed if the goal is to prolong the patient's life. Tough call though. Praying for you and your family in this terrible time.

In my experience a Hospice's goal is not to prolong life, but to make what is left of said life more bearable for the patient. At least as bearable as is possible. I don't know if they can give stronger pain meds, but they do supply pain meds.

AquaBlue, this is a most difficult time for you, to say the least of it, strength my friend. Strength.

The doctors told us that it is very likely that my father will die tomorrow once they remove his breathing tube, replacing it with an oxygen mask, prior to his move to Hospice.

Only a miracle can save him now. I am so out-of-it my friends.

my father died of lung cancer

:sad:

I will never see my father ,because of lung cancer.I really miss him,especially in night!

And I hope he can live in happiness in heaven .

:flowers:

Back