• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My first thread... Hello everyone.

DorianGray

Hi, It's not very often that I join internet forums. I have real trouble finding any that can keep my attention for any amount of time. I haven't just jumped in here feet first though. I've looked around and it seems like an interesting place with lots of friendly people so I think I'll be sticking around.

I may as well introduce myself... I'm David, I'm 25 and I live in Selby, North Yorkshire. Right now in my life I am just about to become a mature student. I am starting a university access course next month, then hopefully next year I will gain admittance to one of the uni's in York. There I will be studying a degree in English Literature.

I have a real interest in literature in general but my real passion is 19th century English authors. Jane Austen being a favourite of mine. Don't let that fool you though, I'm not as academically inclined as the average Jane Austen fan. My love of literature and my actual abilities sadly do not run parallel. Hopefully my enthusiasm will go some way towards making up what I lack in other areas. I've been out of the learning environment for some time now. I left school at 14 and didn't gain any GCSE's until I was almost 20 so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, I didn't intend to write so much so I'd best cut this short. I could probably witter on for a lot longer but I don't intending on falling foul of everyone through being a bore so early in our acquaintence!

Right, I'm off to read, post and mingle! See you all around.

Welcome Dorian~

Good luck with being a mature student - I was one until recently - best thing I ever did.

Read you around.

DorianGray said:
I may as well introduce myself... I'm David, I'm 25 and I live in Selby, North Yorkshire.
Welcome. As it happens I'm called David, I'm 37, and Selby was my home town until I was 21.

Kenny Shovel said:
Welcome. As it happens I'm called David, I'm 37, and Selby was my home town until I was 21.

I've only recently moved here from Leeds. I'm finding it really quiet but it is a lovely place. I'm really looking forward to moving to York though. I love that city like no other.

Welcome to the forum, Dorian Gray! :)

Selby, eh? Not too far from me, though I've only been there once. Just watch out for the flooding... Good on you for the going back to learning thing - I'm sure you'll enjoy your degree, and York is a lovely city - just watch out for the flooding (didn't I already say that?) :D

my favourite song by kids in the hall is called these are the dave's i know. welcome dorian!!

*kenny, you are a dave!?*

Welcome to the forum, fellow Jane fan...I recently visited Leeds...have you had tea at Betty's in Harrogate?

MonkeyCatcher said:
Welcome to TBF :D

What do you mean by 'mature student'? That expression isn't used where I live...

Anyone over the age of 21 starting a course of study is regarded as a mature student. I think it's pretty much a nationwide term. It's used in most of the University prospectus' that I've looked at.

DorianGray said:
I've only recently moved here from Leeds. I'm finding it really quiet but it is a lovely place. I'm really looking forward to moving to York though. I love that city like no other.
You should have tried growing up there in the 70s, then it really was quiet.

Oh, and yes, York is a city it's hard not to love.

Back