• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My first...

Fantasy - First Xanth book, I think...either that or the Hobbit (one of them followed the other)
Sci-fi - My Dad's old Doc EE Smith novels, I believe - The Skylark of Space

Nothing new or unusual here...

Sci-Fi - Either I, Robot or 2001: A Space Odyssey
Fantasy - The Hobbot *gasp!*
Horror - Needful Things by Stephen King (If you can call it "horror")

None of the King books that I've read seemed very scary, though The Talisman and Tommyknockers might have had some suspenseful moments. I just remember Talisman being really good. I only made it halfway through Tommyknockers.

Fantasy: Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Weis/Hickman. It came free with a game for my sinclair spectrum and my brother bet me i wouldn't be able to read it cos it was too big. I was 10. Last time i reread it i remember thinking that it's actially quite good.

Horror: Misery by Stephen King. Not really horror i guess but it was in the horror section in the library. Read it instead of seeing the film as i was underage. He he, no age limit for books :D (For proper supernatural horror was Necroscope i think).

SciFi: Can't remember. Something by C. J. Cherryh? Rimmrunners maybe :confused:

If memory serves . . .

Memory's a strange fish, and I don't entirely trust it, but I'm thinking . . . my big brother's Harry Harrison stuff (probably The Stainless Steel Rat), although I vaguely recollect an anthology that contained a short story about a missionary who took christianity to a race of innocent and naive aliens, who crucified him when they took his teachings about ressurection a little too literally (can anyone help me with the author/title of that?); Almost certainly The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but I'm equally almost certain it was The Hobbit, although, come to think of it, it may have been some dreadful Swords and Ice Magic thing that I'd much rather forget (and had until this post dragged it up again, kicking and screaming); I'm sure I can remember "borrowing" Grandad's copy of Dracula and finding it quite erotic, even before I knew what erotic was, and also "borrowing" big brother's Rats by Steven King, which I think I found a tad scarier than that song Ben by Michael Jackson suggested I might.

Sci-fi : Kriget om källan. It was about villages making war on each other over a well because one of the villages sunk into the ground which was contaminated by poisonous waste and all of the water, too.

Fantasy: Min allrakäraste syster by Astrid Lindgren. About a girl who wants a puppy dog because she is lonely, but then she finds a hole in the ground under a rose-bush and there her twin sister lives with horses, dogs, bunnies and lots of fun with escaping trolls and musical trees and stuff. But then the girl gets the puppy dog and the hole under the rose-bush vanishes. I made my mom plant a rose bush after that one.

Horror: Carrie by Stephen King. At least that one you know?

Yobmod said:
Fantasy: Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Weis/Hickman. It came free with a game for my sinclair spectrum and my brother bet me i wouldn't be able to read it cos it was too big. I was 10. Last time i reread it i remember thinking that it's actially quite good.

Hey, yeah! I remember getting that book free with the Spectrum game too :D

Sci-Fi Not sure, quite possibly The Golden Apples of The Sun by Ray Bradbury. That is the title, isn't it? It's been a while...

Horror Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Managed to read it while my sister was reading it. She wasn't particularly pleased at that. :D

Fantasy Errrr not sure what counts. The Chronicles Of Narnia??? Seems pretty fantastical to me. If not then The Hobbit.

My first horror books was Carrie.
I am not much on science fiction but I have read a few by Asimov.
Does this count - I 've read all the Harry Potter books - are they considered fantasy?

sf - Anne Mccaffrey / the ship who sang
fant - R. A. Salvator / Homeland (i think that was the title)
horror - if this is just the first one i stated then its steven king / the stand
but if its the 1st one i finished then its H. P. Lovecraft / At The Mountains Of Madness Omnibus(absolutely amasing!!)

direstraits said:
You gasped because you found out you should have read the other one?
:D

ds

Actually, if you thought The Hobbit was good, you should read The Hobbot. Uhh... Yeah. That's it! ;)

fantasy-the dark is rising series by susan cooper

sci fi -gor forgot authors name, read 30 books under that series, :eek: phew

horror- mummys curse or something silly.

their is a really funny pisstake of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings that i read once... damn good book..

my first comedy book was Men at Arms by Terry Pratchet (spelling??)

Back