• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My Operation:The Sleeve Gastrectomy

-Carlos-

The sleeve gastrectomy is an operation in which the left side of the stomach is surgically removed. This results in a new stomach which is roughly the size and shape of a banana. Since this operation does not involve any "rerouting" or reconnecting of the intestines, it is a simpler operation than the gastric bypass.

By the end of this year I will be getting the above procedure done. I am a morbid obese man and this operation could save my life- literary. I have been working hard this past year and a half collecting all the documentation and meeting every physical requirement needed for my insurance. I am on the last leg of that final stage and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is considered a major operation so the risks are high: wish me luck my friends.

asurgicallyslim.com_picts_sleeve.jpg

Hope all goes well and have a speedy recovery, AquaBlue.

How soon will you be having this procedure?
How long ago did you decide to have this surgery?
Will the film of the surgery be on YouTube? :D

Hope all goes well and have a speedy recovery, AquaBlue.

How soon will you be having this procedure?
How long ago did you decide to have this surgery?
Will the film of the surgery be on YouTube? :D

Thanks!

How soon? It all depends when my insurance brings back word- they approve it. It is very likely because my obesity is effecting my health in many ways.

I decided to this nearly two years ago. Since then I had to jump through hoops in order to meet the requirement of the insurance. So far everything is going accourding to plan. I see no negative outcome whatsoever.

I will not use youTube. :) Instead I will post before and after pics on this thread once I am at my ideal weight (175 lbs). I am nearly 300 lbs now.

It is considered a major operation so the risks are high: wish me luck my friends.

I wish you well, I hope you don't need luck.

300lbs (21 stone) does not seem that heavy to be considered for the operation. If your ideal weight is 175lbs (12.5 stones) you are only 8.5 stone (119 lbs) over weight; I am puzzled as to why you would even want to put your self through the operation.

119lbs is a lot of excess weight but nothing you could not loose in a year if you decrease your calorie intake to a level where you are burning off more than retaining.

After the operation your stomach will not hold a very large amount of food but it will not stop your mind from wanting it. You may trade one problem for another.

Is it a last resort for you or is it a quick fix? Have you tried every other avenue?

On a non personal level...............................

67 percent of male Americans and 62 percent of female Americans are considered overweight

I think that they have to take responsibility for them selves. Offering operations is a quick fix to fix the damage the fast foods have done. And fast food is a quick fix for not eating the right stuff.

Assuming that there are no other medical reasons, then anyone can loose weight with the right exercise and eating less. Unless they are so over weight they can not get out of bed.

I wish you well, I hope you don't need luck.

300lbs (21 stone) does not seem that heavy to be considered for the operation. If your ideal weight is 175lbs (12.5 stones) you are only 8.5 stone (119 lbs) over weight; I am puzzled as to why you would even want to put your self through the operation.

119lbs is a lot of excess weight but nothing you could not loose in a year if you decrease your calorie intake to a level where you are burning off more than retaining.

After the operation your stomach will not hold a very large amount of food but it will not stop your mind from wanting it. You may trade one problem for another.

Is it a last resort for you or is it a quick fix? Have you tried every other avenue?

On a non personal level...............................

I think that they have to take responsibility for them selves. Offering operations is a quick fix to fix the damage the fast foods have done. And fast food is a quick fix for not eating the right stuff.

Assuming that there are no other medical reasons, then anyone can loose weight with the right exercise and eating less. Unless they are so over weight they can not get out of bed.

I have done everything under the sun believe me. This is my last resort. In order to be approved for this kind of operation one must be at least 100 lbs over weight. Trust me it is not a quick fix. It is a life long change for the better. I have giving it much, much thought. It is my very best option for a healthier life.

I hope everything goes well and it all work as you expect.
All the best for you! :)

b.t.w..... you put on the fire with the reincarnation topic but you have not said a word on it :confused: :D Come and talk with us. :D

You don't look heavy enough to put your self through a life threatening operation.

If you are able to walk and eat salads, my bet is that you would loose the 8 stone in months. Much quicker than waiting for the op. recovering and then loosing weight. ;)

I don't think that you look obese either. But who are we to say anything. I wish you the best and will be looking forward to more before and after pictures.

All my best

I have more than enough books now. I will read something by Robin Cook in the hospital. That'll calm my nerves. ;)

Now my doctor called and told me I had to take a heart test prior to the procedure. I am now waiting for his call to set an appointment. It's another step in the process.

Today I learned that my insurance wouldn’t cover the Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure. So I am having the classic By-pass option instead.

Right now I am waiting on insurance for final approval. Fingers are crossed.

gastric-bypass.gif

Back