• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My Operation:The Sleeve Gastrectomy

chris302116 said:
119lbs is a lot of excess weight but nothing you could not loose in a year if you decrease your calorie intake to a level where you are burning off more than retaining.
It's not as easy as you may think. I'm not overweight, but like all other women, I think I'm fat. I weighed 107 pounds when I got married 10 years ago and currently weight 132. My weight has always fluctuated by about 5-10 pounds depending on my female cycle (being a woman really sucks sometimes), but I've never had trouble losing any weight I gained... until I hit 30.

Now, that 5 pounds I gain over the holidays every year takes 6-8 months to lose instead of less than a month like it used to be. It seems to get harder and harder now and I have to watch every calorie and carb to make sure that I can maintain my current weight. Losing it is even harder. As you age, your metabolism slows. It is a sad truth in the cruelty that is aging. I still excercise regularly, eat very well (fast food only once every other month as a treat-I love McD's fries!), don't drink sodas and don't consume large portions.

If your doctor is approving of the operation, you feel you need it and, most importantly, it will boost your self-confidence, I say go for it, aquablue. I hope all goes well. Just remember that you'll have to change your eating habits forever after you have it done.

It's not as easy as you may think.

...............but if it was that easy then there would not be any over weight people in the world. Maybe it is a reflection on today’s society, a quick fix for everything. If people are going to eat themselves fat then they have to reverse the process by changing their lifestyle.

fast food only once every other month as a treat
A treat :eek: A lot of over weight people are treating themselves to fast foods every day or maybe even twice or more a day.

Just remember that you'll have to change your eating habits forever after you have it done.
..................and that will be the hardest thing to do. If eating habits can't be changed to loose weight, why would they suddenly change after your stomach has been sliced open and stitched back together again.

This may seem a odd responce to someone waiting to have an operation, but it depends how you view things. I see it as everyone telling AquaBlue to jump; I'm telling him not to.

chris302116 said:
I see it as everyone telling AquaBlue to jump; I'm telling him not to.
My intention was not to tell him to jump, but to do what is best for himself. There are many people who cannot (or will not) lose weight. They may have thyroid issues, or simply lack the will power to hit the treadmill and eat rabbit food every day.

I agree that our society is based on instant gratification. If you knew what I did for a living, you would understand my frustration with it. However, if his doctor has made the recommendation and it is what he needs to improve his health, then he should follow his doctor's advice.

Just so you know, there's no way in hell you could get me to go under the knife unless it meant life or death. They've been trying to talk me into having surgery on my back (I have sciatica) for years now and I will not acquiesce. Unless the day comes that I cannot walk or move, I never will.

However, I do know a few people who have had the surgery that he his considering and it has done wonders for them. Not only are they healthier, but they're more energetic, have maintained their weight and are generally happier people. So, if this is what's needed, who am I to say that someone should not do what they need to better themself?

They may have thyroid issues, or simply lack the will power to hit the treadmill and eat rabbit food every day.

65% of the US population do not have thyroid issues, but I agree they may have a lack of will power. Healthy eating does not have to be labelled rabbit food any more than junk food has to be seen as a treat.

There is no polite way of putting this; over weight people have got to stop feeding there faces with junk food and get on that treadmill and stop looking for the quick fit.

Over weight children are victims of child abuse. That about says it all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ain.html?in_article_id=432045&in_page_id=1774

I respect your opinion but in this case you are dead wrong. Obesity is a disease according the medical establishment. I truly don't want to get into it to tell you the truth but I can prove it.

I have not been abused as a child and food is an addiction not a preference. Do you think I want to be heavy? I have tried everything under the sun, exercise included, and noting works.

Do you agree that there are people out there who eat and eat and eat and not gain a single pound while others eat the same meals and grow heavy? Metabolism is a big factor and they say that genes may be a reason as well. I do not want to go under the knife...I have to do it. My health is in jeopardy no matter what anyone says: right or wrong.

In an orintation they presented to us heavy folks in my local hospital, the discussion (in part) was how society views heavy folks and let me tell you (and everyone else) the ignorance is overwhelming. But only us "big people" know the truth- this is not a behavioral issue it is a medical one with many, many factors attributed to the illness. So please do not judge us. Get the facts, get educated, and then make the correct adjustments to your views.

Thanks you.

PS. I am not targeting anyone with my words. If anyone is offended by what I post here I sincerely apologize: understand that it is only my researched views and not it is not meant to offend. All I have been doing these past few weeks is study such things as I get prepared for my by-pass procedure.

Oh I am an active person. I do not have the luxury to sit around all day and stuff my face. I have a busy life and yet my weight remains. How do you (or anyone) explain that??

If you knew me you would scratch your head and wonder why in the hell am I heavy. Oh and do not call us FAT. It is like calling a black person a nigger, or a Hispanic a spik. It is dreadfully offending. Just so you all know.

“Obesity is a world epidemic, and is rampant in the United States. It is newly recognized as a major disease.”

- Carlos Carrasquilla, M.D., F.A.C.S., director, Florida. Center for Surgical Weight Control, P.A.

I have more medical quotations on the subject but sadly I can’t locate them at this time. When I do locate them I will post them

I also respect your opinion and your views and this debate is more of a general debate and not personal one, because everyone is an individual and unless you know a person very well it is not possible to make a true judgement.

But, speaking generally if obesity is a disease (which I do not believe it is, in the true sense of the word) then it is a modern day disease and it started about the same time Mr McDonald opened his first restaurant.

Metabolism is a factor, calorie intake should be less than calories burnt off but not to the point of starvation. Genes could be a reason, no one is sure. If that is the case it would only be for a very small minority of the population.

I do not agree that the word 'fat' should not be used. That is what an over weight person is. Once we start being politically correct about using the word fat then we are saying that it is ok to be fat.

It is a word that describes an over weight person. The same as thin, short, tall, bald, one legged, black, white, red etc.

Many smokers and alcoholics will give dozens of reasons why they can't, won't or should not give up and it is the same with most over weight people, they will convince themselves that there is a reason why they can't loose weight.

Ask any person who has lost lot of weight, they will tell you it can be done.

One last thing, there are places in this world where there is a shortage of food, where people only get one meal a day or are starving. You see it on tv news every year..................but you don't see over weight people among them.

Agua-I honestly wish you the best. You know your situation the best. I don't believe that anyone else can put the problems of others onto your shoulders, I don't care if you are a sloth or run triathlons, the fact of the matter is, you are taking care of the situation. Kudos to you for taking action rather than wait for a worse ending.

Enough! Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. :mad:

Ok, I was only responding in a positive way to your original comments and diagram. You must have thought when you started the thread that it would cause a response otherwise why so much detail?

I think you are hearing what I say, but I am not saying what you want to hear, so I will do as you request and leave it at that.

Why did this turn into a debate? He was just talking about the surgery he was going to have done, and sharing some facts about it. It's plain to me his mind is made up. He didn't come out and say "what does everyone think about this?" or "should i do it?" I think if anything he just wanted to talk about it as it is a big thing that is about to happen in his life. I wish you luck Aquablue. Losing weight is very hard, harder for some ppl than it is for others. My bf eats like crazy but he is one of the skinniest guys I have ever met. Some ppl just aren't that lucky. They have to watch every little thing they eat and it is very difficult, their genetics is betraying them.

EKG: A graphic produced by an electrocardiograph, which records the electrical activity of the heart over time. Analysis of the various waves and normal vectors of depolarization and repolarization yields important diagnostic information.

I am doing this test later today. Gosh I sure hope it's the last one. I've so many tests prior to the operation that it isn't funny. :(

Good luck with the operation. It takes a brave person to do it-any surgery is scary, but I'm sure you'll come through just fine and show us it was worth it.

Today I did the EKG and the nurse gave me slip to do some blood work. Enough of the tests...operation now. :(

Have they given you any idea how soon the operation will be, and have you finalized the insurance end of it?

Good luck buddy.

I am now just about to submit my paper work to the insurance for final approval. The operation will happen sometime this year- maybe in a month or two.

AquaBlue said:
Enough of the tests...operation now
Better to have the tests done in advance than to have the doctors tell you something awful after the operation. About 15 years ago, my cousin had a foot operation to remove a bone spur on his ankle and, after his surgery, the doctors told him that apparently he had an allergy to the anesthetic they used and it had affected his foot. He was in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

I honestly think the worst you're going to have to deal with is jumping through the hoops, crossing all your T's and dotting all your I's for the insurance company. I seriously think it'd be easier to get a law passed than it is to get anything approved by an insurance company.

Good luck. I hope things go well for you.

Back