• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Name a "Mainstream BlockBuster" you actually like!

bobbyburns said:
so if you like dan brown, ok... then you have the brain of a piece of broccoli. but if you like dan brown and then say something like, "uuw I don't care if my brain is made of broccoli", then you have the brain of a piece of broccoli, and you're an assface.

that said... dan brown sucks ballz.

what's up with you dude? seriously? just because someone likes something that you consider to be drivel, doesn't make you smarter or better...you have no idea about anything else about what i've read, seen or done and yet you call me an assface...nice.

i loved Timeline by Michael Crichton. it was fast paced and fun to read, plus i found it pretty interesting. i'm pretty sure that was a blockbuster (or at least close). as everyone knows, the movie sucked ass.

hey Moto! not today. but i may drop back in later. my ethernet card at home was on the fritz but i took care of it so now i can drop in anytime. it's so nice to be noticed :)

ricky said:
what's up with you dude? seriously? just because someone likes something that you consider to be drivel, doesn't make you smarter or better...you have no idea about anything else about what i've read, seen or done and yet you call me an assface...nice.

ricky, bobby has been bored and lonely lately. i think this is his way of flirting with you. just throw a few movie quotes at him and he will be pacified. so instead of saying what's up with you dude, say "dude, what's your glitch?" and then see if he can guess what movie it's from.

and as much as i have railed on about db's book, and really, it wasn't great, i liked it too. brain candy.

so when he said 'assface' what he was really saying is i like your ass wish it was on my--well you get the jist! :p

Getting back to the original thread, I would have to say I enjoyed the last (#7) of The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King.

sirmyk said:
Getting back to the original thread, I would have to say I enjoyed the last (#7) of The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King.

I'm not sure I would consider that a mainstream blockbuster. I don't recall any of the Dark Tower series being #1 Best Sellers, or making headlines across the globe. Not like Jaws, Silence Of The Lambs, or the book I'm getting tired of mentioning that we all know Stewart and Bobbyburns love so much.....

Certainly "The Shining" and "Pet Semetary" had more worldwide acclaim than any of the Dark Tower series don't ya think? Maybe just cause of the movies...but I read them before the movies came out.

What's everybody else think? Do you think The Dark Tower series is blockbuster in scope?

Dark Tower #7 was on the best sellers' list for a week or two I think, and sold roughly half a million copies in that time. Something like that. Since then the sales have diminished. And since I have sold roughly 500x less than that of my own book, I would consider DT7 a mainstream blockbuster, unlike my own novel, which fails to have a mainstream publisher name on its spine. DT7 is no blockbuster smash hit like Dan Brown's magnum opus piece of shit The Davinci Code, but still I would consider it a mainstream blockbuster.

It's not that I didn't like The DaVinci Code, I just don't regard it as the greatest novel ever written, as some seem to think. I would put it on the same shelf as James Patterson and the like.

Still, I would bet that when you said the name Stephen King to a broad range of people that are not "diehard" King fans they would not think of The Dark Tower series. They would think Carrie, Christine, Pet Semetary, The Shining....Those would be more along the lines of King's bigger hits.

I will stick with my thoughts that The Dark Tower series is not a mainstream blockbuster.

the term "blockbuster", incidentally, is rooted in a massively destructive bomb. the dark tower series didn't exactly set the world on fire...

i think it was a blockbuster. it was made into a really successful popular movie and then the book got immensely popular again. i love that book and movie as well.

What exactly constitutes "a blockbuster"? How many copies must sell? Or is such a thing even messured in sales? 500,000 copies... 750,000 copies... a million?

I would say that a blockbuster would be something that Joe Average would recognize by name, and most likely have read or seen or heard of.

Plenty have benn touched on in this thread already. Certainly right now TdVC is at that status. Jaws was. Hunt for Red October was....

Something that transends the world of the reader and drops into the mainstream media. When Oprah is talking about it, or the Nightly News has a feature on it or 20/20 is doing a story...that's blockbuster for sure.

The Harry Potter books are another example. They sell half-a-million in hours kinda thing....

I have liked quite a few mainstream blockbusters. I've liked a lot of books that have been turned into movies, like Girl Interupted, One True Thing, It and Bridget Jones.

Being that my husband and I read so much we usually get books as gifts, some of the less avid readers in our family stick with the topsellers at the grocery store. I can count on a Stephen King book from my mother-in-law every year, I always read them and yes, I sometimes like them.

I also read the Harry Potter books, I started long ago when my younger brother first started reading them, we were so happy he was reading anything that the whole family decided to read it and now I'm a bit hooked. I don't think they are great but I like being able to discuss books with my little brother and now my son who is just getting into the first one this year.

I don't see anything wrong with just enjoying a story, whether it was written well or not, sometimes it's good just to breeze threw and not have to think too hard about it. And a lot of my mainstream books have pointed me to more accepted classics, like Girl Interupted mentioned Kafka and so it sparked an interest and I picked up some of his books.

Back