• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Name a "Mainstream BlockBuster" you actually like!

i started reading Carrie by Stephen King last night and i'm about 80-90 pages in.. i actually really like it, even though i pretty much know the plot/ending. [thank you pop culture]

i also bought The Green Mile yesterday in walmart.. only $4, and i like the plot

Doug Johnson said:
Brown wrote an original, and detailed, story about the Holy Grail. That will be relevant longer after you and I are gone.

One, it wasn't very original. Two, it wasn't very detailed. Three, it will be forgotten before me.

Shade said:
"By that definition, Hallmark greetings cards are art whenever they say something true about people, however banal or hackneyed.

There's a difference between "humanity" and "people."

Stewart said:
One, it wasn't very original.

Who did he copy?

Stewart said:
Two, it wasn't very detailed.

Detailed: containing or emphasizing details
Detail: one of several items of information

There are so many "items of information" that three books have been written arguing with all the details.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...104-3166451-9113522?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...104-3166451-9113522?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...104-3166451-9113522?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

[/QUOTE]Three, it will be forgotten before me.[/QUOTE]

I'll be surpised if your head doesn't explode when the movie becomes the number one film in the world.;)

Also, I just finished "Silence of the Lambs." Extremely well written. I think even the Dan Brown haters would respect the narrative and the dialogue is some of the best that I've read.

I must confess to never having read Harry Potter. I read LOTR in junior school at age 9 or 10, way before it had a bout of popularity during the release of the first film.

I read and liked The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe as a child.

Adult books (bestsellers or film adaptations) I've liked reading are:
Frankenstein
About a Boy
To Kill a Mockingbird
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Green Mile
Angela's Ashes and 'Tis
The Color Purple(?)
Chocolat

I read Da Vinci Code and thought it was good, as a work of fiction, and will probably read Angels and Demons (since I bought them both on offer), but likely not any more.

I've never read a John Irving that I didn't like! The World According to Garp would be one of the biggest sellers, I guess (thanks Hollywood), but I didn't pick that up until I'd read, maybe, 4 previous ones. I just love 'em all! Yes, that includes The Fourth Hand, which many people don't like. I can't wait to read his latest one, 'Until I Find You'. No matter what the reviewers say I'll probably still love it. There's just something about the way he writes that appeals to me!

Doug Johnson said:
Who did he copy?

I'm not an expert on this but the authors of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail currently have a plagiarism action pending against Brown. Even if the case is not successful (you can't copyright an idea, guys!), my understanding is that the DVC does contain 'certain similarities' (cough) to HBHG, albeit that Brown had the nous to present it as fiction.

Doug said:
Also, I just finished "Silence of the Lambs." Extremely well written. I think even the Dan Brown haters would respect the narrative and the dialogue is some of the best that I've read.

Each to his own. Harris's stuff pre-Hannibal is certainly acclaimed among the-sort-of-people-we-might-expect-not-to-like-that-sort-of-thing, among them Martin Amis, but I admit I didn't go for Red Dragon at all (so I didn't go on to read Silence). Here are my thoughts from another forum.

Red Dragon starts very well, with the discovery of a family brutally slain in the same way as another one had been the previous month. Immediately, and wrongly, the detectives presume the killer is going to strike on the next full moon - I thought this was a sly dig at the way every serial killer has to have some quirk to get his own film these days - then I realised that Red Dragon came out 20 years ago and is probably to blame for it... Anyway, we pretty quickly get to find out whodunnit and the plot of the book is really concerned with whyhedunit and whosnextforit. We also get, of course, the literary genesis of Hannibal Lecter. It is brilliant and daring of Harris to make him only a tangential character, and to have his "real" story in the past and largely untold, but it is also the book's fatal flaw because Lecter is the most interesting character in miles.

The actual killer in the book is a boring nutter. And here's the rub: for all Harris's interest and effort in the whydunit aspect of the story, it's all very pat. Well, he done it because his granny was nasty to him as a child and he has a deformed palate. (This is a problem in almost all crime storytelling. Cracker, the best TV series of the 1990s, was a masterpiece of creative writing, plotting, dialogue and wit, but the psychology behing the killers was always much too neat and simple for my liking. He didn't hit puberty until late! She was made to act like a guide dog for her blind sister! The only one there that hit the spot was Albie Kinsella, from the story "To Be a Somebody," with his seething nest of class-paranoia, post-Hillsborough trauma and grief for his father. But I digress.) Is that all there is? So it would seem.

I've read that Harris takes so long to write each book because of all his research. I think he should do a little less research as he's frequently incapable of wearing it lightly: one chapter begins

The Brooklyn Museum is closed to the general public on Tuesdays, but art classes and refreshers are admitted. The museum is an excellent facility for serious scholarship. The staff members are knowledgeable and accommodating; they often allow researchers to come by appointment on Tuesdays to see items not on public display. ... Entrance to the Brooklyn Museum on Tuesdays is through a single door on the extreme right.

Just think of the work that went into finding the publicity brochure he copied that from! Dialogue is occasionally top-heavy on research too, with one character nonchalantly wondering aloud:

"Maybe Dolarhyde knew the maxillary arch survives fires a lot of times."

But this is slightly over-griping, as the writing is generally pretty good, featureless enough to enable swift page-turning but not so bland as to be boring. Otherwise, the book seems to cash in a lot of standard thriller chips towards the end: the trick where you think the baddie's shooting someone else but actually he's shooting himself; the cartoonish resurrection of the baddie when it's all but over; the explanatory here's-how-it-all-happened monologue which was already excruciatingly awful back in 1960 in Psycho; and the Jerry Springer/He Man-esque moral of the tale right at the end.

Ultimately the greatest crime in Red Dragon is that it didn't leave me with anything.

Mainstream blockbusters that we like....as if that is supposed to be a symbol of shame or something. Heck, I could name books by literary *stars* that are wretching and revolting to read, books that even the dimmest modern writer would not be capable of producing.

Indeed, SFG, and it's a long time since I read the start of this thread, but I think Motokid meant it more as a gauntlet thrown down to those among us (like me?? :eek: ) who have damned populist fiction in the past, a challenge rather than a confessional...

Shade said:
Indeed, SFG, and it's a long time since I read the start of this thread, but I think Motokid meant it more as a gauntlet thrown down to those among us (like me?? :eek: ) who have damned populist fiction in the past, a challenge rather than a confessional...
Yes, indeed it was a discussion that stemmed from a debate about 'elitism' and whether there was such a thing as 'bad' literature. Oh, Shade, how we sparred on that thread!! Oh, the good ol' days! :p

Shade said:
I'm not an expert on this but the authors of The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail currently have a plagiarism action pending against Brown. Even if the case is not successful (you can't copyright an idea, guys!), my understanding is that the DVC does contain 'certain similarities' (cough) to HBHG, albeit that Brown had the nous to present it as fiction.

Each to his own. Harris's stuff pre-Hannibal is certainly acclaimed among the-sort-of-people-we-might-expect-not-to-like-that-sort-of-thing, among them Martin Amis, but I admit I didn't go for Red Dragon at all (so I didn't go on to read Silence). Here are my thoughts from another forum.

When the best argument you can make, lost in a court of law, you don't have a very strong argument.

I didn't read Red Dragon and don't think I will, but try Silence of The Lambs. The well researched description of how to make a suit out of human skin was probably the spookiest thing I've ever read. The dialogue was probably the best too.

I should mention "Interview With The Vampire:" very literary treatment of a commercial subject. It's a good example of why I strongly believe that commercial and literary fiction both have their strengths and why writers should learn to appreciate both.

Doug Johnson said:
When the best argument you can make, lost in a court of law, you don't have a very strong argument.

If by 'you' you mean me, that wasn't my argument, I was just saying that it was an argument others had made. In fact I think I pointed out in my post that I didn't think it stood much chance of success.

me said:
you can't copyright an idea, guys!

Ah yes, there it is.

Back